|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Baptista’s last name in the play?
2. Petruchio arrives to visit whom in Act I, Scene II?
3. Petruchio claims his father was known throughout which country in Act II, Scene I?
4. Who is the “the fat ale-wife of Wincot” that Christopher Sly mentions in Scene II of the Induction?
5. What Elizabethan interjection does Gremio exclaim in Act II, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What matter of business does Baptista attend to after agreeing to Katharina’s marriage in Act II?
2. How would you characterize Tranio’s performance in his disguise in the play?
3. What is an “induction”? What is the subject of the Induction in The Taming of the Shrew?
4. How do Lucentio and Tranio introduce themselves in Act II, Scene I? What do Baptista and Petruchio agree upon in this scene?
5. How does Petruchio introduce himself in Act II, Scene I?
6. What characters (in disguise) are introduced in Act I, Scene II?
7. How does Petruchio respond to Baptista’s stipulations in Act II, Scene I?
8. How is Petruchio’s character generally interpreted in productions of The Taming of the Shrew?
9. What can be discerned about Baptista’s daughters from the conversation in Act I, Scene I?
10. How does the theme of appearance and reality manifest in the Induction and Act I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Christopher Sly, the Lord, the Hostess, and the Servants in the Induction. How is Sly’s appearance described? How wealthy is the Lord, and what is his home like? What are the objectives of each of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Katharina’s mindset in the beginning of Act III, Scene II. Why is Katharina upset? Whom does Katharina blame for her humiliation? Why? How do the other characters respond to the situation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Hortensio and Gremio in the play. How wealthy are each of these suitors? Does Baptista show preference of one suitor over the other for his daughter’s hand in marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)