|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Petruchio introduce Hortensio (in disguise) in Act II?
2. Gremio claims that his scholar in Act II, Scene I “hath been long studying” where?
3. What does Lucentio decide to disguise himself as in order to be close to Bianca in Act I, Scene I?
4. Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “And where two raging fires meet together, / They do consume the thing that feeds” what?
5. What is the setting for Act II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katharina’s character established as “shrewish” in Act II?
2. How does the theme of disguise and role-playing apply to the Induction?
3. What characters (in disguise) are introduced in Act I, Scene II?
4. What is an “induction”? What is the subject of the Induction in The Taming of the Shrew?
5. How does the character of Petruchio feel about social conventions?
6. Who is Christopher Sly? What events surround him in Scene I of the Induction?
7. How is Petruchio’s character generally interpreted in productions of The Taming of the Shrew?
8. What plot do Lucentio and Tranio concoct in Act I, Scene I? What is their objective with this scheme?
9. What can be discerned about Baptista’s daughters from the conversation in Act I, Scene I?
10. What matter of business does Baptista attend to after agreeing to Katharina’s marriage in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality in the play. How does this theme apply to societal expectations? How does the theme relate to the theme of gender roles? In what ways does Petruchio illustrate this theme in Act III?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Katharina’s mindset in the beginning of Act III, Scene II. Why is Katharina upset? Whom does Katharina blame for her humiliation? Why? How do the other characters respond to the situation?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss “subtext” and “innuendo” in literature and drama. What are examples of sexual innuendo between Katharina and Petruchio in their first meeting? What does the subtext in this scene reveal to the audience/reader? Is subtext easier to identify when reading or viewing the play?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)