|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grumio tells Petruchio in Act IV, Scene I that there “was no link to color” whose hat?
2. The Pedant tells Baptista that he has come to Padua for what reason in Act IV Scene IV?
(a) To gather some debts
(b) To visit his grandmother
(c) To attend his son’s marriage
(d) To attend his daughter’s marriage
3. What word from Act IV, Scene I refers to a stout fabric of cotton and flax?
4. Where does the Pedant claim to be from in Act IV, Scene II?
5. According to Curtis in Act IV, Scene I, Petruchio lectures Katharina on what in their bridal chamber?
(a) Her education
(b) Her father
Short Answer Questions
1. The Pedant worries in Act IV, Scene IV that Baptista will recognize him because twenty years ago they were lodgers at what establishment in Genoa?
2. What word from Act III, Scene II refers to a rich sweet wine made from muscat grapes?
3. The following lines of Hortensio’s in Act III, Scene I are an example of what literary technique? “How fiery and forward our Pedant is! / Now, for my life, the knave doth court my love: / Pedascule, I'll watch you better yet.”
4. Katharina states in Act III, Scene II, “I must, forsooth, be forced / To give my hand opposed against my heart / Unto a mad-brain rudesby full of” what?
5. A Servant enters and bids Bianca to help dress what room in the end of Act III, Scene I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Tranio, Lucentio, and Bianca in Act IV, Scene II?
2. What schemes do Tranio and Lucentio reveal in Act III, Scene II?
3. What disagreement takes place about the time of day in Act IV, Scene III?
4. How is Petruchio and Katharina’s retirement to the bedchamber described in Act IV, Scene I?
5. Why is Bianca sought after by so many suitors in the play? How does Bianca’s characterization relate to Katharina’s?
6. How is the character of Grumio characterized in the play? What is Grumio’s relationship to language?
7. How is the theme of appearance and reality illustrated in Act III?
8. How does Petruchio appear when he arrives at the wedding in Act III, Scene II? Why?
9. Characterize the relationship between Katharina and Petruchio in the narrative. How is their relationship commonly approached in performance?
10. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)