|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grumio say “have eaten the horses” in Act III, Scene II?
(a) Thine goats
(b) The oats
(c) The mulberry
(d) The masters
2. When Petruchio and company enter after the wedding in Act III, Scene II, Petruchio claims that he must leave before when?
(c) The morning
3. What does Bianca’s line from Act III, Scene I, “hic est Sigeia tellus,” translate to in English?
(a) I know you not
(b) I love you
(c) I warrant nothing
(d) I trust you not
4. What city does the Pedant say is “renowned for grave citizens” in Act IV, Scene II?
5. Who speaks the following lines in Act IV, Scene I: “Fie, fie on all tired jades, on all mad masters, and / all foul ways! Was ever man so beaten? was ever / man so rayed?”
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says of Petruchio and Katharina in Act III, Scene II, “Of all mad matches never was the like”?
2. What word from Act III, Scene I refers to the whole series of recognized musical notes?
3. What is the name of Petruchio’s spaniel he asks for in Act IV, Scene I?
4. Whom is the Pedant disguised as in Act IV Scene IV?
5. What is the setting for Act IV, Scene IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Petruchio win his argument in Act IV, Scene V?
2. What disagreement takes place about the time of day in Act IV, Scene III?
3. How does Petruchio treat Katharina differently than the other characters in the play?
4. Characterize the relationship between Katharina and Petruchio in the narrative. How is their relationship commonly approached in performance?
5. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
6. How do Hortensio’s objectives change in Act IV, Scene II? Why?
7. How does Petruchio appear when he arrives at the wedding in Act III, Scene II? Why?
8. How is the character of Grumio characterized in the play? What is Grumio’s relationship to language?
9. What do Petruchio and Katharina argue about during their travels in Act IV, Scene V?
10. What schemes do Tranio and Lucentio reveal in Act III, Scene II?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)