|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Act III, Scene I refers to the whole series of recognized musical notes?
2. Biondello tells Baptista that Petruchio is wearing an old rusty sword taken from where in Act III, Scene II?
(a) The police station
(b) The town-armory
(c) Baptista’s armory
(d) His father
3. Petruchio tells Katharina in Act III, Scene II, “Fear not, sweet wench, they shall not touch thee, Kate: / I'll buckler thee against” what?
(a) A hundred
(b) A thousand
(c) A knave
(d) A million
4. Whose “dagger was not come from sheathing” according to Grumio in Act IV, Scene I?
5. Who does Tranio claim is the master of “the taming-school” in Act IV, Scene II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Haberdasher bring in for Petruchio to view in Act IV, Scene III?
2. Who speaks the following lines in Act IV, Scene I: “Fie, fie on all tired jades, on all mad masters, and / all foul ways! Was ever man so beaten? was ever / man so rayed?”
3. Upon entering in Act III, Scene II, Petruchio remarks of Katharina, “To me she's married, not unto my” what?
4. What word from Act III, Scene II refers to a rich sweet wine made from muscat grapes?
5. What does Grumio say “have eaten the horses” in Act III, Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Tranio, Lucentio, and Bianca in Act IV, Scene II?
2. How do Hortensio’s objectives change in Act IV, Scene II? Why?
3. How is the character of Grumio characterized in the play? What is Grumio’s relationship to language?
4. How does Lucentio go about revealing his identity in Act III, Scene I? How does Bianca respond?
5. Whom do Petruchio and Katharina encounter along their travels in Act IV, Scene V?
6. How does Tranio convince the Pedant to agree to his disguise in Act IV, Scene IV?
7. What happens when the Haberdasher and Tailor arrive at Petruchio’s house in Act IV, Scene III?
8. Why is Bianca sought after by so many suitors in the play? How does Bianca’s characterization relate to Katharina’s?
9. How does Katharina respond to Petruchio’s delay at the wedding in Act III, Scene II?
10. How is the theme of appearance and reality illustrated in Act III?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)