|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Elizabethan interjection does Gremio exclaim in Act II, Scene I?
2. What does Lucentio decide to disguise himself as in order to be close to Bianca in Act I, Scene I?
(a) A schoolmaster
(b) A musician
(c) A gentlewoman
(d) A priest
3. What wealthy suitor to Bianca says of Katharina in Act I, Scene I, “To cart her rather: she's too rough for me”?
4. What is the setting for Act II?
(a) A bedchamber in the Lord's house
(b) Before Lucentia’s house
(c) Petruchio’s country house
(d) A room in Baptista’s house
5. Petruchio arrives to visit whom in Act I, Scene II?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher Sly claim to hail from in Scene II of the Induction?
2. Act I, Scene II takes place before whose house?
3. Whom does “the shrew” refer to in the play?
4. For how many years do the Servants tell Christopher Sly he has been living in a dream in Scene II of the Induction?
5. Gremio claims that his scholar in Act II, Scene I “hath been long studying” where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possible causes are illustrated for Katharina’s personality traits in Act II?
2. How does the theme of gender roles apply in the Induction of The Taming of the Shrew?
3. How does Petruchio describe his plan for dealing with Katharina as he waits to meet her in Act II, Scene I?
4. How is Katharina’s character established as “shrewish” in Act II?
5. What takes place between Katharina and Bianca in the opening of Act II?
6. How does Petruchio respond to Hortensio’s warning in Act I, Scene II? What plan do these friends develop?
7. What can be discerned about Baptista’s daughters from the conversation in Act I, Scene I?
8. What is an “induction”? What is the subject of the Induction in The Taming of the Shrew?
9. Where are Lucentio and Tranio traveling in Act I, Scene I? What conversation do they overhear in this scene?
10. How does the character of Petruchio feel about social conventions?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)