|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Lord’s page in the Induction?
2. What is Katharina’s response to Petruchio’s line, “Nay, come, Kate, come; you must not look so sour”?
(a) Dost thou find me sour? I’ll quench thy thirst
(b) It is my fashion, when I see a crab
(c) Sour as to lemons, wouldst thou have some
(d) Call me Katharina, fool, or thine eyes will shine
3. Tranio (in disguise) claims to be from where in Act II, Scene I?
4. The setting of Scene I of the Induction takes place where?
(a) Before Baptista’s house
(b) Before an alehouse
(c) A room in Petruchio’s house
(d) Before Hortensio’s house
5. What is the name of Petruchio’s recently deceased father in the play?
(c) Lord Oberly
Short Answer Questions
1. Tranio (in disguise) claims to come and make himself suitor to whom in Act II, Scene I?
2. Petruchio claims his father was known throughout which country in Act II, Scene I?
3. What does the First Servant offer to Christopher Sly after he awakens in the Lord’s bedchamber in Scene II of the Induction?
4. The Lord claims he would not lose his hunting hound for how much money in Scene I of the Induction?
5. Gremio claims that his scholar in Act II, Scene I “hath been long studying” where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of appearance and reality manifest in the Induction and Act I?
2. How does Petruchio introduce himself in Act II, Scene I?
3. What plot do Lucentio and Tranio concoct in Act I, Scene I? What is their objective with this scheme?
4. How is Katharina’s character established as “shrewish” in Act II?
5. What matter of business does Baptista attend to after agreeing to Katharina’s marriage in Act II?
6. How does the theme of gender roles apply in the Induction of The Taming of the Shrew?
7. How would you characterize Tranio’s performance in his disguise in the play?
8. How does the theme of disguise and role-playing apply to the Induction?
9. What characters (in disguise) are introduced in Act I, Scene II?
10. How does Petruchio describe his plan for dealing with Katharina as he waits to meet her in Act II, Scene I?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)