|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II, Scene I, what does Petruchio say “are for winds, / That shake not, though they blow perpetually”?
2. Speaking in soliloquy, Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “Say that she rail; why then I'll tell her plain / She sings as sweetly as” what?
(a) A raven
(b) A nightingale
(c) A finch
(d) A canary
3. What does the Hostess demand that Christopher Sly pay for after having broken them in Scene I of the Induction?
(c) Wine bottles
(d) Door frames
4. Speaking of Katharina, Hortensio says in Act II, Scene I, “Iron may hold with her, but never” what?
(b) Written words
(c) Piano keys
5. What does Hortensio disguise himself as in order to move in on Bianca in Act I, Scene II?
(a) A music teacher
(b) A nun
(c) A priest
(d) A lady-in-waiting
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act II?
2. By what saint does Petruchio swear in Act II, Scene I?
3. What is the name of Baptista’s eldest daughter in the play?
4. By what name does Petruchio introduce Hortensio (in disguise) in Act II?
5. With which servant does Petruchio enter in Act I, Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between Katharina and Bianca in the opening of Act II?
2. How does the theme of appearance and reality manifest in the Induction and Act I?
3. What takes place during Katharina and Petruchio’s first meeting in Act II, Scene I?
4. How would you characterize Tranio’s performance in his disguise in the play?
5. How is Katharina’s character established as “shrewish” in Act II?
6. How does the character of Petruchio feel about social conventions?
7. What matter of business does Baptista attend to after agreeing to Katharina’s marriage in Act II?
8. How does the theme of disguise and role-playing apply to the Induction?
9. What possible causes are illustrated for Katharina’s personality traits in Act II?
10. How does the theme of gender roles apply in the Induction of The Taming of the Shrew?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)