|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument do the Players sound in Scene I of the Induction?
(a) A trumpet
(b) A piano
(c) A snare drum
(d) A lute
2. Bianca begs Katharina to unbind what in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Her hands
(b) Her dog
(c) Her legs
(d) Her cat
3. Petruchio states of Katharina in Act II, Scene I, “If she be curst, it is for policy, / For she's not froward, but modest as” what?
(a) The sea
(b) The dove
(c) The stream
(d) The rose
4. Christopher Sly claims to have “no more doublets than” what in Scene II of the Induction?
5. What word from the stage directions in Scene II of the Induction refers to instruments or accessories?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Lord claims he would not lose his hunting hound for how much money in Scene I of the Induction?
2. Petruchio claims to be a gentleman from where when he introduces himself in Act II, Scene I?
3. What is the name of Petruchio’s recently deceased father in the play?
4. In Act II, Scene I, what does Petruchio say “are for winds, / That shake not, though they blow perpetually”?
5. In Act II, Scene I, Petruchio says of Katharina, “She is not hot, but temperate as” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters (in disguise) are introduced in Act I, Scene II?
2. What takes place between Katharina and Bianca in the opening of Act II?
3. How does the theme of disguise and role-playing apply to the Induction?
4. Who is Christopher Sly? What events surround him in Scene I of the Induction?
5. How is Katharina’s character established as “shrewish” in Act II?
6. How does Petruchio describe his plan for dealing with Katharina as he waits to meet her in Act II, Scene I?
7. How does the theme of gender roles apply in the Induction of The Taming of the Shrew?
8. What plot do Lucentio and Tranio concoct in Act I, Scene I? What is their objective with this scheme?
9. How does Petruchio introduce himself in Act II, Scene I?
10. From where does Petruchio arrive in Act I, Scene II? What is his objective in Padua?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)