|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Lord orders his page to disguise himself as what in the play’s Induction?
(a) A lady
(b) A merchant
(c) A priest
(d) A knight
2. Act I, Scene I of The Taming of the Shrew is set in a public place in what city?
3. In Act II, Scene I, what does Petruchio say “are for winds, / That shake not, though they blow perpetually”?
4. Petruchio claims his father was known throughout which country in Act II, Scene I?
5. Petruchio introduces Hortensio, disguised as a schoolmaster, and tells Baptista that he is from where in Act II, Scene I?
6. What word from Scene I of the Induction refers to a service room in which barrels or bottles of alcoholic drink were stored?
7. What word does Katharina use in Act II, Scene I meaning a conceited, foolish dandy?
8. Katharina says in Act II, Scene I, “If I be waspish, best beware” what?
(a) My words
(b) Mine eyes
(c) My face
(d) My sting
9. Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “And where two raging fires meet together, / They do consume the thing that feeds” what?
(a) Their fate
(b) Their glory
(c) Their fury
(d) Their love
10. What is Katharina’s response to Petruchio’s line, “Nay, come, Kate, come; you must not look so sour”?
(a) Sour as to lemons, wouldst thou have some
(b) Dost thou find me sour? I’ll quench thy thirst
(c) Call me Katharina, fool, or thine eyes will shine
(d) It is my fashion, when I see a crab
11. Petruchio states of Katharina in Act II, Scene I, “If she be curst, it is for policy, / For she's not froward, but modest as” what?
(a) The sea
(b) The dove
(c) The stream
(d) The rose
12. What does the First Servant offer to Christopher Sly after he awakens in the Lord’s bedchamber in Scene II of the Induction?
(a) A mimosa
(b) A glass of champagne
(c) A cup of sack
(d) A glass of mead
13. What is the setting for Act II?
(a) A bedchamber in the Lord's house
(b) A room in Baptista’s house
(c) Petruchio’s country house
(d) Before Lucentia’s house
14. Gremio claims that his scholar in Act II, Scene I “hath been long studying” where?
15. To whom is Lucentio speaking in the opening of Act I, Scene I?
(c) The Hostess
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II, Scene I, Petruchio says of Katharina, “She is not hot, but temperate as” what?
2. Speaking in soliloquy, Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “Say she be mute and will not speak a word; / Then I'll commend her” what?
3. Speaking in soliloquy, Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “Say that she rail; why then I'll tell her plain / She sings as sweetly as” what?
4. What does Katharina claim “are made to bear, and so are you” in Act II, Scene I?
5. Christopher Sly claims that the Slys are no rogues and that they came in with whom in Scene I of the Induction?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)