|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Katharina’s response to Petruchio’s line, “Nay, come, Kate, come; you must not look so sour”?
(a) Call me Katharina, fool, or thine eyes will shine
(b) It is my fashion, when I see a crab
(c) Sour as to lemons, wouldst thou have some
(d) Dost thou find me sour? I’ll quench thy thirst
2. Who is the “the fat ale-wife of Wincot” that Christopher Sly mentions in Scene II of the Induction?
(d) Marian Hacket
3. Where does Petruchio tell Katharina he will go to buy attire for their wedding day in Act II, Scene I?
4. The Lord orders his page to disguise himself as what in the play’s Induction?
(a) A priest
(b) A knight
(c) A merchant
(d) A lady
5. With which servant does Petruchio enter in Act I, Scene II?
6. How many “vile terms” does Hortensio say Katharina called him in Act II, Scene I?
7. What is the name of Baptista’s youngest daughter in the play?
8. What wealthy suitor to Bianca says of Katharina in Act I, Scene I, “To cart her rather: she's too rough for me”?
9. By what name does Petruchio introduce Hortensio (in disguise) in Act II?
10. Whom does “the shrew” refer to in the play?
11. In Act II, Scene I, what does Petruchio say “are for winds, / That shake not, though they blow perpetually”?
12. What is the name of Baptista’s eldest daughter in the play?
13. Katharina tells her father in Act II, Scene I, “You have show'd a tender fatherly regard, / To wish me wed to one” what?
(a) Fair gentleman
(b) Foolish knave
(c) Half lunatic
14. When discussing Katharina’s dowry in Act II, Scene I, Baptista states that he who weds his daughter will receive upon his death half of all his land and how many crowns?
15. Petruchio tells Baptista that he and Katharina will wed on which day in Act II, Scene I?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Gremio introduce Lucentio (in disguise) in Act II, Scene I?
2. What does the Hostess demand that Christopher Sly pay for after having broken them in Scene I of the Induction?
3. What does Katharina claim “are made to bear, and so are you” in Act II, Scene I?
4. What word from the stage directions in Scene II of the Induction refers to instruments or accessories?
5. What word does Katharina use in Act II, Scene I meaning a conceited, foolish dandy?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)