|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Katharina use in Act II, Scene I meaning a conceited, foolish dandy?
2. Christopher Sly claims that his present occupation is that of what in Scene II of the Induction?
(a) A haberdasher
(b) A tinker
(c) A tailor
(d) An innkeeper
3. For how many years do the Servants tell Christopher Sly he has been living in a dream in Scene II of the Induction?
4. What does Petruchio’s line “Con tutto il cuore, ben trovato” translate to in English?
(a) With all my heart, I’m glad to see you
(b) With sorrow, I must ask you to leave
(c) With great joy do I wed thee
(d) With great regret, I inform you he is not home
5. What word from Scene I of the Induction refers to a service room in which barrels or bottles of alcoholic drink were stored?
6. Speaking in soliloquy, Petruchio states in Act II, Scene I, “Say she be mute and will not speak a word; / Then I'll commend her” what?
7. What does the First Servant offer to Christopher Sly after he awakens in the Lord’s bedchamber in Scene II of the Induction?
(a) A cup of sack
(b) A glass of mead
(c) A glass of champagne
(d) A mimosa
8. Who does Tranio (in disguise) claim is his father in Act II, Scene I?
9. Petruchio claims to be a gentleman from where when he introduces himself in Act II, Scene I?
10. Christopher Sly claims that the Slys are no rogues and that they came in with whom in Scene I of the Induction?
(a) The Vikings
(b) Richard Conqueror
11. From where is Lucentio traveling in Act I, Scene I?
12. Act I, Scene I of The Taming of the Shrew is set in a public place in what city?
13. What is Katharina’s response when Petruchio asks her in Act II, Scene I, “Why, what’s a moveable?”
(a) A join’d-stool
(b) You are, sir
(c) Thy father
(d) Art thou not
14. In Act II, Scene I, what does Petruchio say “are for winds, / That shake not, though they blow perpetually”?
15. Bianca begs Katharina to unbind what in Act II, Scene I?
(a) Her hands
(b) Her legs
(c) Her dog
(d) Her cat
Short Answer Questions
1. How many “vile terms” does Hortensio say Katharina called him in Act II, Scene I?
2. What wife of Socrates does Petruchio mention in Act I, Scene II?
3. Where does Christopher Sly claim to hail from in Scene II of the Induction?
4. What is the name of the Lord’s page in the Induction?
5. What is the name of Petruchio’s recently deceased father in the play?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)