|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mig want to wear?
2. What does Despereaux do with the needle?
3. What choice is 'Uncle' given?
4. What does Despereaux dream of?
5. What does Cook hear in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux see after he grabs hold of Botticelli's tail and is led through the dungeon?
2. What did Miggery see when she was seven years old, and how did it affect her?
3. What is the Princess dreaming about when Mig and Roscuro sneak into her room to take her to the dungeon at knife point?
4. What happens when Despereaux wakes the following morning?
5. What happens when the soldiers come to Uncle's house?
6. What does Roscuro tell Mig that changes her life?
7. How does Roscuro introduce himself to Miggery and what does he tell her?
8. How does Roscuro lose his tail?
9. What does Miggery do in the castle?
10. How does the Princess recognize who Roscuro is, and what does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Despereaux get back to the light? What does he overhear on the way? What happens that almost costs him his life? What part of himself does he lose in the process? Where does he hide afterward? How long is he there? What is different about his appearance when he comes out?
Essay Topic 2
Who notices Despereaux on his way back to the dungeon? What surprise does Despereaux get? Who helps him when he loses the spool? Why is Mig being uncooperative? How does the Princess secure freedom for herself, Mig and Despereaux? What surprise waits for Mig? What wish is granted her, and why is it different from what she expected?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)