|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Princess ask Mig?
2. When did Miggery Sow's mother die?
3. What does Despereaux dream of?
4. What does the Princess say to Despereaux?
5. What does the Princess ask Roscuro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux find the Cook doing when he manages to roll the thread as far as the kitchen?
2. When the King refuses to believe Despereaux, what does he do?
3. How does Roscuro lose his tail?
4. What happens when Despereaux wakes the following morning?
5. What did Miggery see when she was seven years old, and how did it affect her?
6. Who does Despereaux run into on his way to find the King?
7. What does Miggery do in the castle?
8. What does Despereaux see after he grabs hold of Botticelli's tail and is led through the dungeon?
9. What deal does Botticelli make with Despereax when the spool of thread gets away from him on the stairs?
10. What does Roscuro tell Mig that changes her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of Chiaroscuro? How is this name ironic given that it was given to a rat and why? What is almost prophetic about this name? In what way are Chiaroscuro and Despereaux very similar? What character traits do they share?
Essay Topic 2
What does Despereaux realize when he confronts the Mouse Council? Who asks him for something and what is he asked for? What understanding does Despereaux come to as this request is considered? Where does he go next? What conversation convinces him he must act on his own? Who does he approach for help? What does he need and why? What is he given?
Essay Topic 3
What behavior does Despereaux exhibit that is unusual? How do his siblings from former litters attempt to help him? What is the outcome of their help? Why is Despereaux seemingly unable to conform and do what is expected of him? What does he do instead?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)