|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the King's men sent out to collect?
2. What does the Princess say to Despereaux?
3. What do the rats want Roscuro to do?
4. What does Mig actually do to Roscuro?
5. Who is inside the knight's armor in Despereaux's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal does the Princess make with Roscuro?
2. Who does Despereaux run into on his way to find the King?
3. What does Despereaux find the Cook doing when he manages to roll the thread as far as the kitchen?
4. How does the Princess recognize who Roscuro is, and what does she do about it?
5. What does Roscuro tell Mig that changes her life?
6. Why is Miggery not nearly as disturbed by the dungeon as most others are?
7. What other positions does Miggery hold and why don't they work out?
8. What do Roscuro and Mig ask the Princess to do before they take her down to the dungeon?
9. What happens when the cook sees a mouse in the kitchen?
10. What does Miggery tell Gregory that attracts the attention of Roscuro, and why is Roscuro interested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who takes an interest in him almost immediately, and why? What does his savior want from him? Why does Despereaux ask to be released? What changes his mind? What is he told about the layout of the dungeon? How does his savior overcome this obstacle?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lester approach the Mouse Council? What is he hoping to accomplish? What is the fate decreed by the Mouse Council for Despereaux. What members of Despereaux's family are only too happy to participate in Despereaux's punishment?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)