|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mig call the Royal family?
2. How does Mig try to help?
3. What does the cook tell Mig she still must do?
4. What does the Princess say to Despereaux?
5. What is the name of the head of the serving staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the cook sees a mouse in the kitchen?
2. What happens when Despereaux wakes the following morning?
3. What is the cook's response when Despereaux falls out of the napkin and into a measuring cup full of oil?
4. What happens while Despereaux sleeps on the sack of flour?
5. What did Miggery see when she was seven years old, and how did it affect her?
6. What does Despereaux see after he grabs hold of Botticelli's tail and is led through the dungeon?
7. What happens to Miggery Sow after her mother dies?
8. Who does Despereaux run into on his way to find the King?
9. What deal does Botticelli make with Despereax when the spool of thread gets away from him on the stairs?
10. How does Despereaux come to be back in the kitchen with Mig and the cook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Queen lose her life? What is the King's reaction? What two things does he outlaw as a result of the Queen's death and why? Which of these two things is easily outlawed and which is the King forced to simply make illegal instead? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the thread master? Why is red thread used, and for what? What prevents mice from just removing the thread themselves. Where is the thread attached? What is its' significance? Who else is bound, by what, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)