|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mig want Despereaux to do?
2. What does Mig cut off with the large knife?
3. Who's food does Mig finally get told to deliver?
4. What do the soldiers do with Mig?
5. Where does Roscuro stand when he talks to Pea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other positions does Miggery hold and why don't they work out?
2. What happens to Miggery Sow after her mother dies?
3. What is Mig supposed to do with the food she takes down to the dungeon?
4. Why does Roscuro give up?
5. What deal does Botticelli make with Despereax when the spool of thread gets away from him on the stairs?
6. Why is Miggery not nearly as disturbed by the dungeon as most others are?
7. What does Despereaux see after he grabs hold of Botticelli's tail and is led through the dungeon?
8. What does Roscuro tell Mig that changes her life?
9. What deal does the Princess make with Roscuro?
10. How is Despereaux injured, despite Mig's attempt to ensure his freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of Chiaroscuro? How is this name ironic given that it was given to a rat and why? What is almost prophetic about this name? In what way are Chiaroscuro and Despereaux very similar? What character traits do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Despereaux considered to be different than other mice when he is born? What inspires his mother to name him Despereaux? What happens to the rest of his litter mates? How does Despereaux's father respond to his birth and why? What makes Despereaux significant in their mouse family?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mig see on her seventh birthday? How does she respond? What does she do when her presence is acknowledged? Why? What dream does this instill in Mig? Who does she share her dream with, and what is their response?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)