|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
2. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
3. What does Roscuro stumble into when he leaves the dungeon?
4. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
5. How does Despereaux describe the sound he hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
2. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
3. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
4. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
5. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
6. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
7. In what ways do Despereaux's siblings attempt to educate him on how to be a mouse?
8. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
9. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
10. What is the job of the threadmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Despereaux cope with being thrown into the dungeon? What does he do to reassure himself? How do his actions save his life? What causes Despereaux to faint for the second time in one day? What is the first thing he sees when he comes to?
Essay Topic 2
How does Roscuro get upstairs into the light? What does he see when he gets there? What rooms does he visit? Which room does he become drawn into and what attracts his attention? Where does he go to get a closer look? Who sees him first and what is the response?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mig see on her seventh birthday? How does she respond? What does she do when her presence is acknowledged? Why? What dream does this instill in Mig? Who does she share her dream with, and what is their response?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)