|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
2. What did Furlough not see the Princess do?
3. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
4. Who arrived at the castle on the same evening?
5. What happens to Roscuro as a result of seeing the light from the match?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
2. What is the vote taken by the Mouse Council and what are the results?
3. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
4. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
5. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
6. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
7. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
8. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
9. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
10. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mig see on her seventh birthday? How does she respond? What does she do when her presence is acknowledged? Why? What dream does this instill in Mig? Who does she share her dream with, and what is their response?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Mig taken? What positions is she given? Which is first and why is she determined to be unsuitable for it? What positions do they try her in afterward? What happens in each of them? What position is she finally deemed suitable for? How does Mig feel about it and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Despereaux get back to the light? What does he overhear on the way? What happens that almost costs him his life? What part of himself does he lose in the process? Where does he hide afterward? How long is he there? What is different about his appearance when he comes out?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)