|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers and sisters are in Despereaux's litter?
2. What is the last of the great, ancient rules of mice?
3. What two reasons make the dungeon so dangerous?
4. What part of Despereaux is complimented by the first human he meets?
5. What do Despereaux's brother and sister take him to the library for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
2. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
3. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
4. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
5. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
6. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
7. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
8. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
9. In what ways do Despereaux's siblings attempt to educate him on how to be a mouse?
10. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who notices Despereaux on his way back to the dungeon? What surprise does Despereaux get? Who helps him when he loses the spool? Why is Mig being uncooperative? How does the Princess secure freedom for herself, Mig and Despereaux? What surprise waits for Mig? What wish is granted her, and why is it different from what she expected?
Essay Topic 2
How does Despereaux get back to the light? What does he overhear on the way? What happens that almost costs him his life? What part of himself does he lose in the process? Where does he hide afterward? How long is he there? What is different about his appearance when he comes out?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when the soldiers come to the Uncle's house? What items are they dispatched to collect and why? How does he respond to their request? What information does he inadvertently give them that costs him even more? What does it cost him and why?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)