|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to find Despereaux in the dungeon?
2. What is Despereaux's destiny?
3. What does Botticelli try to teach Roscuro?
4. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
5. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
2. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
3. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
4. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
5. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
6. What does the threadmaster ask Despereaux as he is doing his job?
7. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
8. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
9. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
10. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mig see on her seventh birthday? How does she respond? What does she do when her presence is acknowledged? Why? What dream does this instill in Mig? Who does she share her dream with, and what is their response?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when the soldiers come to the Uncle's house? What items are they dispatched to collect and why? How does he respond to their request? What information does he inadvertently give them that costs him even more? What does it cost him and why?
Essay Topic 3
Who takes an interest in him almost immediately, and why? What does his savior want from him? Why does Despereaux ask to be released? What changes his mind? What is he told about the layout of the dungeon? How does his savior overcome this obstacle?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)