|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lester call?
2. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
3. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
4. What one thing must all mice do?
5. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
2. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
3. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
4. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
5. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
6. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
7. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
8. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
9. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
10. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of Chiaroscuro? How is this name ironic given that it was given to a rat and why? What is almost prophetic about this name? In what way are Chiaroscuro and Despereaux very similar? What character traits do they share?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the thread master? Why is red thread used, and for what? What prevents mice from just removing the thread themselves. Where is the thread attached? What is its' significance? Who else is bound, by what, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What behavior does Despereaux exhibit that is unusual? How do his siblings from former litters attempt to help him? What is the outcome of their help? Why is Despereaux seemingly unable to conform and do what is expected of him? What does he do instead?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)