|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
2. What does Gregory do?
3. What else did the King order?
4. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
5. What happens to Roscuro as a result of seeing the light from the match?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
2. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
3. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
4. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
5. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
6. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
7. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
8. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
9. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
10. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lester approach the Mouse Council? What is he hoping to accomplish? What is the fate decreed by the Mouse Council for Despereaux. What members of Despereaux's family are only too happy to participate in Despereaux's punishment?
Essay Topic 2
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the thread master? Why is red thread used, and for what? What prevents mice from just removing the thread themselves. Where is the thread attached? What is its' significance? Who else is bound, by what, and why?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)