|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
2. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
3. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
4. What do Despereaux's brother and sister take him to the library for?
5. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
2. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
3. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
4. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
5. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
6. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
7. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
8. What does the King do after his beloved Queen dies?
9. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
10. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of Chiaroscuro? How is this name ironic given that it was given to a rat and why? What is almost prophetic about this name? In what way are Chiaroscuro and Despereaux very similar? What character traits do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Mig named after? What age is she when her mother dies? What does her father do shortly thereafter? What does he get as a result? Where does Mig find herself afterward? What is her new situation like? What is the biggest challenge that she faces?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Queen lose her life? What is the King's reaction? What two things does he outlaw as a result of the Queen's death and why? Which of these two things is easily outlawed and which is the King forced to simply make illegal instead? Why?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)