|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a piece of red string get tied around Despereaux's neck?
2. Where does Gregory put Despereaux?
3. What is Despereaux's father's name?
4. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
5. What does Despereaux say to the Princess before the King makes him leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
2. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
3. What does the King do after his beloved Queen dies?
4. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
5. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
6. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
7. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
8. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
9. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
10. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Despereaux get back to the light? What does he overhear on the way? What happens that almost costs him his life? What part of himself does he lose in the process? Where does he hide afterward? How long is he there? What is different about his appearance when he comes out?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of Chiaroscuro? How is this name ironic given that it was given to a rat and why? What is almost prophetic about this name? In what way are Chiaroscuro and Despereaux very similar? What character traits do they share?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Queen lose her life? What is the King's reaction? What two things does he outlaw as a result of the Queen's death and why? Which of these two things is easily outlawed and which is the King forced to simply make illegal instead? Why?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)