|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two reasons make the dungeon so dangerous?
2. What could Despereaux smell on the threadmaster's breath?
3. What is Despereaux's father's name?
4. What part of Despereaux is complimented by the first human he meets?
5. What does Despereaux do in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
2. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
3. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
4. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
5. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
6. What does the King do after his beloved Queen dies?
7. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
8. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
9. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
10. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lester approach the Mouse Council? What is he hoping to accomplish? What is the fate decreed by the Mouse Council for Despereaux. What members of Despereaux's family are only too happy to participate in Despereaux's punishment?
Essay Topic 2
What is Despereaux's biggest concern as he is being led to the dungeon? What is significant about the guards that are escorting him? What consideration does he ask for? Is his last request granted? Why is it so important to Despereaux?
Essay Topic 3
Who takes an interest in him almost immediately, and why? What does his savior want from him? Why does Despereaux ask to be released? What changes his mind? What is he told about the layout of the dungeon? How does his savior overcome this obstacle?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)