|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
2. What did the Pea announce when her father finished playing and singing?
3. Why does Despereaux tell the jailer he cannot die?
4. Which rat was born in the dungeon several years before Despereaux was born?
5. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
2. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
3. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
4. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
5. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
6. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
7. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
8. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
9. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
10. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who notices Despereaux on his way back to the dungeon? What surprise does Despereaux get? Who helps him when he loses the spool? Why is Mig being uncooperative? How does the Princess secure freedom for herself, Mig and Despereaux? What surprise waits for Mig? What wish is granted her, and why is it different from what she expected?
Essay Topic 2
What changes occur in Mig as a result of her new circumstances? What does she lose as a direct result of her Uncle? What problems arise as a result? How does this affect her directly on a physical level? On an emotional level?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)