|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
2. How long has Gregory been in the dungeon?
3. What does Roscuro stumble into when he leaves the dungeon?
4. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
5. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
2. What does the King do after his beloved Queen dies?
3. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
4. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
5. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
6. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
7. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
8. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
9. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
10. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when the soldiers come to the Uncle's house? What items are they dispatched to collect and why? How does he respond to their request? What information does he inadvertently give them that costs him even more? What does it cost him and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the reason that Despereaux is being punished? What cardinal rules did he break? How might he have resolved the situation or avoided it entirely? What part of Despereaux's behavior does the Mouse Council consider to be unacceptable, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Who notices Despereaux on his way back to the dungeon? What surprise does Despereaux get? Who helps him when he loses the spool? Why is Mig being uncooperative? How does the Princess secure freedom for herself, Mig and Despereaux? What surprise waits for Mig? What wish is granted her, and why is it different from what she expected?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)