|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Gregory been in the dungeon?
2. Who does Lester call?
3. Where does the Mouse Council want to send Despereaux?
4. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
5. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
2. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
3. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
4. What is the vote taken by the Mouse Council and what are the results?
5. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
6. What does the threadmaster ask Despereaux as he is doing his job?
7. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
8. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
9. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
10. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when the soldiers come to the Uncle's house? What items are they dispatched to collect and why? How does he respond to their request? What information does he inadvertently give them that costs him even more? What does it cost him and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Queen lose her life? What is the King's reaction? What two things does he outlaw as a result of the Queen's death and why? Which of these two things is easily outlawed and which is the King forced to simply make illegal instead? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Mig see on her seventh birthday? How does she respond? What does she do when her presence is acknowledged? Why? What dream does this instill in Mig? Who does she share her dream with, and what is their response?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)