|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roscuro stumble into when he leaves the dungeon?
2. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
3. Where does he fall to?
4. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
5. What does Despereaux do in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
2. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
3. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
4. In what ways do Despereaux's siblings attempt to educate him on how to be a mouse?
5. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
6. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
7. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
8. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
9. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
10. What does the threadmaster ask Despereaux as he is doing his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Despereaux realize when he confronts the Mouse Council? Who asks him for something and what is he asked for? What understanding does Despereaux come to as this request is considered? Where does he go next? What conversation convinces him he must act on his own? Who does he approach for help? What does he need and why? What is he given?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Mig taken? What positions is she given? Which is first and why is she determined to be unsuitable for it? What positions do they try her in afterward? What happens in each of them? What position is she finally deemed suitable for? How does Mig feel about it and why?
Essay Topic 3
What behavior does Despereaux exhibit that is unusual? How do his siblings from former litters attempt to help him? What is the outcome of their help? Why is Despereaux seemingly unable to conform and do what is expected of him? What does he do instead?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)