|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mice are in the Mouse Council.
2. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
3. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
4. What does Botticelli try to teach Roscuro?
5. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
2. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
3. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
4. What is the job of the threadmaster?
5. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
6. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
7. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
8. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
9. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
10. What does the threadmaster ask Despereaux as he is doing his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who takes an interest in him almost immediately, and why? What does his savior want from him? Why does Despereaux ask to be released? What changes his mind? What is he told about the layout of the dungeon? How does his savior overcome this obstacle?
Essay Topic 2
Who notices Despereaux on his way back to the dungeon? What surprise does Despereaux get? Who helps him when he loses the spool? Why is Mig being uncooperative? How does the Princess secure freedom for herself, Mig and Despereaux? What surprise waits for Mig? What wish is granted her, and why is it different from what she expected?
Essay Topic 3
What behavior does Despereaux exhibit that is unusual? How do his siblings from former litters attempt to help him? What is the outcome of their help? Why is Despereaux seemingly unable to conform and do what is expected of him? What does he do instead?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)