|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
(a) To tie up prisoners with.
(b) To keep him from falling into a deep hole.
(c) To guide him back to the beginning.
(d) To remind him that he is a prisoner.
2. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
(a) A butter knife.
(b) The Queen's soup spoon.
(c) A single shoe.
(d) The Queen's broach.
3. What is the last of the great, ancient rules of mice?
(a) Never touch humans.
(b) Never reveal a mouse's house to a human.
(c) Never speak to humans.
(d) Never allow humans to touch a mouse.
4. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
(a) He is the jailer.
(b) He was a guard caught sleeping on shift.
(c) He spilled the soup in the king's lap.
(d) He was caught stealing.
5. What does Gregory do?
(a) Kicks him out.
(b) Locks him in a cage.
(c) Chases him into the darkest part of the dungeon.
(d) Burns Roscuro's whiskers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do stories do for Gregory?
2. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
3. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
4. What makes the Princess cry?
5. How many mice are in the Mouse Council.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
2. What happens when the King orders that all of the rats be killed?
3. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
4. What does the threadmaster ask Despereaux as he is doing his job?
5. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
6. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
7. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
8. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
9. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
10. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)