|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Despereaux tell the jailer he cannot die?
(a) Becaue he wants to learn how to write.
(b) Because he is too young.
(c) Because he wants to read.
(d) Because he is in love.
2. What one thing must all mice do?
(a) Avoid cats.
(b) Learn to read.
(c) Have a family.
3. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
(a) On the Princess's birthday.
(b) On Despereaux's first birthday.
(c) On the King's anniversary.
(d) On the day Despereaux is born.
4. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
(a) Because he heard Gergory talking about it.
(b) Because there is evil in the world.
(c) Because the king punished people more on Tuesdays.
(d) Because there hadn't been one for a while.
5. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
(a) The Queen's soup spoon.
(b) A single shoe.
(c) The Queen's broach.
(d) A butter knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lester call?
2. Who does Despereaux reveal himself to?
3. Who is the first to find Despereaux in the dungeon?
4. What is the first thing Despereax notices about the dungeon?
5. What is Despereaux's destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
2. Why does Roscuro give up?
3. How does Despereaux come to be back in the kitchen with Mig and the cook?
4. What does Miggery do in the castle?
5. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
6. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
7. What happens when Despereaux wakes the following morning?
8. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
9. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
10. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)