|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Pea announce when her father finished playing and singing?
(a) That she wanted to save Despereaux.
(b) That she wanted to find a friend for Despereaux.
(c) That she wanted to rid the castle of cats.
(d) That she was going to keep Despereaux.
2. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
(a) On Despereaux's first birthday.
(b) On the day Despereaux is born.
(c) On the King's anniversary.
(d) On the Princess's birthday.
3. What part of Despereaux is complimented by the first human he meets?
(a) His ears.
(b) His feet.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His hands.
4. What is the new prisoner being jailed for?
(a) Stealing four chickens.
(b) Stealing two horses (one Arabian and one Palimino).
(c) Stealing blankets.
(d) Stealing six cows (two Jerseys and four Guernseys).
5. What is the meaning of life according to Botticelli?
(a) Self sacrifice.
(c) Suffering of others.
(d) Peace in all things.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
2. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
3. How many mice are in the Mouse Council.
4. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
5. What were the last words the Queen spoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the King refuses to believe Despereaux, what does he do?
2. What is Miggery Sow's life like with the man her father sold her to?
3. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
4. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
5. Why does Despereaux refuse to renounce his actions in front of the Mouse Council?
6. What is the Princess dreaming about when Mig and Roscuro sneak into her room to take her to the dungeon at knife point?
7. What do Roscuro and Mig ask the Princess to do before they take her down to the dungeon?
8. What is the cook's response when Despereaux falls out of the napkin and into a measuring cup full of oil?
9. What happens when the soldiers come to Uncle's house?
10. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)