|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one thing must all mice do?
(b) Have a family.
(c) Avoid cats.
(d) Learn to read.
2. What is the last of the great, ancient rules of mice?
(a) Never reveal a mouse's house to a human.
(b) Never allow humans to touch a mouse.
(c) Never speak to humans.
(d) Never touch humans.
3. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
(a) To be in love.
(b) To survive the rats.
(c) To serve the Princess.
(d) To live.
4. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
(a) On the day Despereaux is born.
(b) On the Princess's birthday.
(c) On Despereaux's first birthday.
(d) On the King's anniversary.
5. How much thread does the threadmaster use?
(a) Just enough for the neck.
(b) Enough to use as a rope if twined together.
(c) Just enough to wrap around his finger twice.
(d) Enough to wrap around his waist twice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Despereaux's father's name?
2. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
3. What does Gregory call the dungeon?
4. What does the threadmaster tell Despereaux to do?
5. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
2. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
3. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
4. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
5. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
6. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
7. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
8. What is the job of the threadmaster?
9. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
10. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)