|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one thing must all mice do?
(a) Avoid cats.
(c) Learn to read.
(d) Have a family.
2. How does Gregory see in the darkness?
(a) With a glowstick
(b) With a flashlight.
(c) With a candle.
(d) His eyes have adapted.
3. What does Botticelli try to teach Roscuro?
(a) How to hunt for food.
(b) How to find Gregory.
(c) How to torture a prisoner.
(d) How to catch mice.
4. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
(a) The Queen's broach.
(b) The Queen's soup spoon.
(c) A single shoe.
(d) A butter knife.
5. Who is the first to find Despereaux in the dungeon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
2. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
3. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
4. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
5. What broke Roscuro's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
2. What happens when Princess Pea notices him swinging from the chandelier?
3. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
4. What does the King do after his beloved Queen dies?
5. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
6. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
7. Why does the jailer tell Despereaux that he definitely does not want to be let go in this place?
8. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
9. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
10. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)