|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Despereaux do in the library?
(a) He looks out the window.
(b) He reads the books.
(c) He eats the bindings.
(d) He researches his heritage.
2. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
(a) The thread from threadbare clothing.
(b) The hair from prisoners' heads.
(c) The whiskers of mice.
(d) The thread of prisoners' blankets.
3. What two reasons make the dungeon so dangerous?
(a) The rats and the maze.
(b) The rats and other prisoners.
(c) The maze and the cold.
(d) The cold and the dark.
4. What does the threadmaster tell Despereaux to do?
(a) Find his way out.
(b) Be brave.
(c) Wait for rescue.
(d) Search for the leader.
5. What does Roscuro tell Botticelli he wants to do?
(a) Go upstairs into the light.
(b) Move to another dungeon.
(c) Leave the dungeon for ever.
(d) Let someone else torture the prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do stories do for Gregory?
2. What is the meaning of life according to Botticelli?
3. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
4. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
5. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Princess begins to cry?
2. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
3. What is the vote taken by the Mouse Council and what are the results?
4. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
5. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
6. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
7. What other crime did the prisoner admit to committing for which he was never caught or punished?
8. What is the job of the threadmaster?
9. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
10. How does Antoinette react as the last of her babies is being taken to the dungeon?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)