|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a piece of red string get tied around Despereaux's neck?
(a) To remember his family by.
(b) To be used as a portable sewing kit.
(c) So he can use it to find his way in the dark.
(d) To mark him as a condemned mouse.
2. Why does Despereaux tell the jailer he cannot die?
(a) Because he is too young.
(b) Because he is in love.
(c) Becaue he wants to learn how to write.
(d) Because he wants to read.
3. What did the King do after his Queen died?
(a) He stopped singing.
(b) He outlawed soup.
(c) He sank into despair.
(d) He stopped making music.
4. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
(a) A butter knife.
(b) The Queen's soup spoon.
(c) The Queen's broach.
(d) A single shoe.
5. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
(a) To guide him back to the beginning.
(b) To tie up prisoners with.
(c) To remind him that he is a prisoner.
(d) To keep him from falling into a deep hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
2. What does Roscuro climb to?
3. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
4. What does Despereaux decide he must do?
5. What happens to Roscuro as a result of seeing the light from the match?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
2. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
3. What are the basic rules of being a mouse that Despereaux breaks when he hears the music?
4. How does the King respond to the Princess when she declares that she intends to keep Despereaux and that she believes that they will be best friends?
5. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
6. How did the mice get to the dungeon?
7. What is the job of the threadmaster?
8. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
9. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
10. In what ways do Despereaux's siblings attempt to educate him on how to be a mouse?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)