|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His sister Merlot.
(d) His brother Furlough.
2. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
(a) They both think the Princess is beautiful.
(b) They have the same father.
(c) They both like music.
(d) They both enjoy reading.
3. What did Furlough first notice when Despereaux was born?
(a) He held his finger.
(b) His eyes were open.
(c) He never cried.
(d) He smiled.
4. What does Gregory call the dungeon?
(a) The darkest place in the universe.
(b) The last place on earth.
(c) The most dangerous place in the world.
(d) The treacherous dark heart of the world.
5. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
(a) They are too much work.
(b) They never stop needing.
(c) They make her feel too sad.
(d) They ruin her beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gregory save Despereaux?
2. What is the first thing Despereax notices about the dungeon?
3. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
4. What could Despereaux smell on the threadmaster's breath?
5. What does Roscuro offer to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Despereaux do in the all encompassing darkness to make himself feel brave?
2. What does Despereaux suddenly find unbearable, and what does he ask the guards?
3. What is the vote taken by the Mouse Council and what are the results?
4. What is the first thing that Despereaux is aware of after he is pushed down the dungeon steps by Furlough and the second guard?
5. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
6. What does Roscuro discover when he works up the courage to go upstairs into the light?
7. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
8. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
9. What is the purpose of the Mouse Council?
10. Why was the killing of rats unsuccessful, and what did the King do?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)