|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Botticelli try to teach Roscuro?
(a) How to catch mice.
(b) How to hunt for food.
(c) How to torture a prisoner.
(d) How to find Gregory.
2. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
(a) He was caught stealing.
(b) He is the jailer.
(c) He spilled the soup in the king's lap.
(d) He was a guard caught sleeping on shift.
3. When the Princess sees him and calls out, what does Roscuro realize?
(a) That he does not want to be a rat.
(b) That he does no belong upstairs.
(c) That he is revered upstairs.
(d) That no one will love him upstairs.
4. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
(a) A change of clothes.
(b) A piece of cheese.
(c) A last word with the Princess.
(d) A last meal.
5. What one thing must all mice do?
(a) Learn to read.
(b) Have a family.
(c) Avoid cats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
2. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
3. What is Despereaux's father's name?
4. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
5. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the ways in which Despereaux is considered to be a disappointment or different, and by whom?
2. When Despereaux faints, what does he wake up to see?
3. In what ways do Despereaux's siblings attempt to educate him on how to be a mouse?
4. What is the crime that led to the new prisoner being brought down to the dungeon?
5. What causes Despereaux to fall in love with the Princess?
6. What is ironic about the name that Roscuro is given when he is born?
7. What fascination does Roscuro develop even though he is told it is not proper?
8. How does Despereaux's behavior get him into trouble?
9. What is the outcome of Chiaroscuro's trip into the light?
10. Why did Antoinette's last word to Despereaux give him little comfort?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)