|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
(a) They both enjoy reading.
(b) They both think the Princess is beautiful.
(c) They both like music.
(d) They have the same father.
2. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
(a) To tie up prisoners with.
(b) To keep him from falling into a deep hole.
(c) To guide him back to the beginning.
(d) To remind him that he is a prisoner.
3. What did Furlough first notice when Despereaux was born?
(a) He held his finger.
(b) He never cried.
(c) His eyes were open.
(d) He smiled.
4. What does Despereaux decide he must do?
(b) Be brave.
5. Who does Lester call?
(a) The Princess.
(b) The Mouse Council.
(c) His family.
(d) The King.
6. What happens when he realizes this truth?
(a) He falls from the tree.
(b) He is hit with a broom.
(c) He is caught by the king.
(d) He falls from the chandelier he is hanging on.
7. What does Roscuro find on the floor?
(a) The Queen's broach.
(b) A butter knife.
(c) The Queen's soup spoon.
(d) A single shoe.
8. What is Despereaux's father's name?
9. Why does Gregory save Despereaux?
(a) Because he spoke of love.
(b) Because Gregory is lonely.
(c) Because of his big ears.
(d) Because he can tell stories.
10. Where does Gregory put Despereaux?
(a) On his bed.
(b) On a shelf.
(c) Up against his ear.
(d) On top of a bowl.
11. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
(a) He runs into the darkness.
(b) He runs to get Gregory.
(c) He looks away from the light at the door.
(d) He runs to get Roscuro.
12. What does the jailer show Despereaux?
(a) A pile of love letters.
(b) A pile of old photographs.
(c) A pile of spoons, kettle and soup bowls.
(d) A pile of bones.
13. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
(a) That he will never go back downstairs.
(b) That he will never come back upstairs again.
(c) That he will have revenge and something beautiful.
(d) That he belongs in the dark.
14. How long has Gregory been in the dungeon?
(a) Two years.
(b) Five or six years, he isn't exactly sure.
(c) Six months or so.
(d) For decades, for centuries, for eons, for eternities.
15. Why does Despereaux tell the jailer he cannot die?
(a) Becaue he wants to learn how to write.
(b) Because he is too young.
(c) Because he wants to read.
(d) Because he is in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Princess cry?
2. What does Roscuro climb to?
3. Who arrived at the castle on the same evening?
4. What did the King do after his Queen died?
5. Who does Despereaux reveal himself to?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)