|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much thread does the threadmaster use?
(a) Enough to use as a rope if twined together.
(b) Just enough for the neck.
(c) Enough to wrap around his waist twice.
(d) Just enough to wrap around his finger twice.
2. What else did the King order?
(a) That all the rats be killed.
(b) That mice be allowed.
(c) That Roscuro be found and punished.
(d) That rats be banished.
3. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
(a) The Princess playing a flute.
(b) King Phillip playing a piano.
(c) The Princess singing.
(d) King Phillip playing his guitar and singing.
4. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
(c) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
(d) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
5. Which rat was born in the dungeon several years before Despereaux was born?
6. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
(a) Heartfelt and devoted.
(b) Joyful and illuminating.
(c) Purposeful and determined.
(d) Wonderful and powerful.
7. What is Despereaux's father's name?
8. What does the beating of the drum tell the Mouse Council members?
(a) That an important decision must be made.
(b) That a meeting is being called.
(c) That a crime has been committed.
(d) That a mouse has been discovered.
9. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
(a) They ruin her beauty.
(b) They are too much work.
(c) They make her feel too sad.
(d) They never stop needing.
10. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
(a) Because there hadn't been one for a while.
(b) Because the king punished people more on Tuesdays.
(c) Because there is evil in the world.
(d) Because he heard Gergory talking about it.
11. What does Roscuro stumble into when he leaves the dungeon?
(a) A party in the banquet hall.
(b) A soccer game.
(c) Another rat.
(d) A birthday.
12. What does Roscuro do that gets him into trouble with Gregory?
(a) He bites Gregory's shoes.
(b) He takes all the stuffing.
(c) He chews on his rope.
(d) He steals food.
13. What do stories do for Gregory?
(a) Help him see.
(b) Teach him to read.
(c) Distract him.
(d) Make light.
14. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
(a) The thread from threadbare clothing.
(b) The thread of prisoners' blankets.
(c) The whiskers of mice.
(d) The hair from prisoners' heads.
15. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
(a) Like bits of cotton.
(b) Like remnants of silk.
(c) Like small pieces of velvet.
(d) Like rose petals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Roscuro as a result of seeing the light from the match?
2. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
3. Who does Despereaux reveal himself to?
4. What does Roscuro offer to do?
5. Why does a piece of red string get tied around Despereaux's neck?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)