|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does he fall to?
(a) Into the King's dinner.
(b) Onto the goal post.
(c) Into the Princess's lap.
(d) Into the Queen's soup.
2. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
(a) Joyful and illuminating.
(b) Purposeful and determined.
(c) Heartfelt and devoted.
(d) Wonderful and powerful.
3. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
(a) They both enjoy reading.
(b) They both think the Princess is beautiful.
(c) They have the same father.
(d) They both like music.
4. What do the guards tell Antoinette will happen to her son?
(a) He will become an albino.
(b) He will be a slave.
(c) The rats will eat him.
(d) He will starve to death.
5. Where does the Mouse Council want to send Despereaux?
(a) To the dungeon.
(b) To the King.
(c) To the Princess.
(d) To another colony.
6. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
(a) Because there hadn't been one for a while.
(b) Because the king punished people more on Tuesdays.
(c) Because there is evil in the world.
(d) Because he heard Gergory talking about it.
7. What could Despereaux smell on the threadmaster's breath?
(b) Peanut butter.
8. What is Despereaux's destiny?
(a) To find his real true love.
(b) To leave the area.
(c) To meet the rats.
(d) To live in the castle.
9. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
(a) That he will never come back upstairs again.
(b) That he belongs in the dark.
(c) That he will never go back downstairs.
(d) That he will have revenge and something beautiful.
10. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
(a) They ruin her beauty.
(b) They are too much work.
(c) They make her feel too sad.
(d) They never stop needing.
11. What does Despereaux's mother put on in honor of her youngest mouse being taken to the dungeon?
(a) A new hat.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A black veil.
(d) A tremendous amount of makeup.
12. What does the jailer show Despereaux?
(a) A pile of love letters.
(b) A pile of spoons, kettle and soup bowls.
(c) A pile of bones.
(d) A pile of old photographs.
13. What is the last of the great, ancient rules of mice?
(a) Never reveal a mouse's house to a human.
(b) Never touch humans.
(c) Never allow humans to touch a mouse.
(d) Never speak to humans.
14. What did the King do after his Queen died?
(a) He sank into despair.
(b) He outlawed soup.
(c) He stopped singing.
(d) He stopped making music.
15. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
(a) A pearl.
(b) A gold chunk.
(c) A locket.
(d) A diamond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Despereaux's mother do when Despereaux is led away?
2. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
3. What were the last words the Queen spoke?
4. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
5. What broke Roscuro's heart?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)