|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
(a) He was caught stealing.
(b) He is the jailer.
(c) He spilled the soup in the king's lap.
(d) He was a guard caught sleeping on shift.
2. What does Despereaux's mother put on in honor of her youngest mouse being taken to the dungeon?
(a) A tremendous amount of makeup.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A black veil.
(d) A new dress.
3. Who is the first to notice him there?
(a) The Queen.
(b) Princess Pea.
(c) The referee.
(d) The King.
4. What two reasons make the dungeon so dangerous?
(a) The maze and the cold.
(b) The rats and other prisoners.
(c) The cold and the dark.
(d) The rats and the maze.
5. What does Despereaux do in the library?
(a) He reads the books.
(b) He eats the bindings.
(c) He looks out the window.
(d) He researches his heritage.
6. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
(a) On the day Despereaux is born.
(b) On the Princess's birthday.
(c) On the King's anniversary.
(d) On Despereaux's first birthday.
7. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
8. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
(a) He runs into the darkness.
(b) He runs to get Roscuro.
(c) He looks away from the light at the door.
(d) He runs to get Gregory.
9. What does Antoinette call out as Despereaux is led away?
(a) Be brave.
(b) Have mercy.
(c) Take me.
(d) Adieu (Farewell).
10. What does Roscuro stumble into when he leaves the dungeon?
(a) A soccer game.
(b) Another rat.
(c) A party in the banquet hall.
(d) A birthday.
11. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
(a) To be in love.
(b) To survive the rats.
(c) To serve the Princess.
(d) To live.
12. What does perfidy mean?
(a) Deliberate treachery.
13. Who does Lester call?
(a) The Princess.
(b) The King.
(c) The Mouse Council.
(d) His family.
14. What does the jailer show Despereaux?
(a) A pile of old photographs.
(b) A pile of spoons, kettle and soup bowls.
(c) A pile of bones.
(d) A pile of love letters.
15. What do stories do for Gregory?
(a) Teach him to read.
(b) Help him see.
(c) Make light.
(d) Distract him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does he fall to?
2. What is the meaning of life according to Botticelli?
3. What is the name of the kingdom?
4. What is the new prisoner being jailed for?
5. What makes the Princess cry?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)