|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else did the King order?
(a) That mice be allowed.
(b) That rats be banished.
(c) That all the rats be killed.
(d) That Roscuro be found and punished.
2. What is Despereaux's destiny?
(a) To find his real true love.
(b) To meet the rats.
(c) To live in the castle.
(d) To leave the area.
3. What is Despereaux's last name?
4. What does Gregory call the dungeon?
(a) The most dangerous place in the world.
(b) The last place on earth.
(c) The darkest place in the universe.
(d) The treacherous dark heart of the world.
5. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
(a) Like remnants of silk.
(b) Like small pieces of velvet.
(c) Like bits of cotton.
(d) Like rose petals.
6. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
(a) The hair from prisoners' heads.
(b) The whiskers of mice.
(c) The thread of prisoners' blankets.
(d) The thread from threadbare clothing.
7. What did the King do after his Queen died?
(a) He stopped making music.
(b) He sank into despair.
(c) He stopped singing.
(d) He outlawed soup.
8. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
(a) Heartfelt and devoted.
(b) Wonderful and powerful.
(c) Purposeful and determined.
(d) Joyful and illuminating.
9. What does perfidy mean?
(c) Deliberate treachery.
10. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
(a) Never eat cheese in the morning.
(b) Never walk a straight line.
(c) Never chase cats.
(d) Never reveal yourself to humans.
11. What does Despereaux wonder about that chills him?
(a) How big are the rats?
(b) Is there really a 'happily ever after'?
(c) Do rats eat mice?
(d) How many rats are there?
12. Which rat was born in the dungeon several years before Despereaux was born?
13. What does the jailer show Despereaux?
(a) A pile of love letters.
(b) A pile of spoons, kettle and soup bowls.
(c) A pile of bones.
(d) A pile of old photographs.
14. What does Despereaux have an unusual interest in?
(c) Card games.
15. What did Furlough not see the Princess do?
(a) Pick Despereaux up.
(b) Kiss Despereaux.
(c) Invite Despereaux to dinner.
(d) Take Despereaux to her private quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roscuro climb to?
2. Who arrived at the castle on the same evening?
3. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
4. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
5. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)