|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
(a) A last meal.
(b) A change of clothes.
(c) A last word with the Princess.
(d) A piece of cheese.
2. What do Despereaux's brother and sister take him to the library for?
(a) To read a bedtime story.
(b) To show him how to read.
(c) To educate him.
(d) To eat the bindings.
3. What does Gregory call the dungeon?
(a) The most dangerous place in the world.
(b) The treacherous dark heart of the world.
(c) The last place on earth.
(d) The darkest place in the universe.
4. What does Botticelli do when the door opens to admit a prisoner?
(a) He runs into the darkness.
(b) He runs to get Gregory.
(c) He runs to get Roscuro.
(d) He looks away from the light at the door.
5. What does Despereaux's mother put on in honor of her youngest mouse being taken to the dungeon?
(a) A black veil.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A tremendous amount of makeup.
(d) A new dress.
6. What does Despereaux have an unusual interest in?
(c) Card games.
7. What does the threadmaster tell Despereaux to do?
(a) Find his way out.
(b) Be brave.
(c) Search for the leader.
(d) Wait for rescue.
8. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
9. What do the threadmaster and Despereaux have in common?
(a) They both like music.
(b) They have the same father.
(c) They both enjoy reading.
(d) They both think the Princess is beautiful.
10. What does Despereaux do in the library?
(a) He researches his heritage.
(b) He looks out the window.
(c) He reads the books.
(d) He eats the bindings.
11. What makes the Princess cry?
(a) Her father fears Despereaux.
(b) Her father banishes Despereaux from the castle.
(c) Her father condemns Despereaux to death.
(d) Her father yells at Despereaux.
12. How much thread does the threadmaster use?
(a) Enough to use as a rope if twined together.
(b) Just enough to wrap around his finger twice.
(c) Enough to wrap around his waist twice.
(d) Just enough for the neck.
13. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
(a) Wonderful and powerful.
(b) Joyful and illuminating.
(c) Purposeful and determined.
(d) Heartfelt and devoted.
14. What does the light do to Roscuro?
(a) Fills him with wonder.
(b) Makes him turn away.
(c) Blinds him.
(d) Fills him with sadness.
15. What does Despereaux say to the Princess before the King makes him leave?
(a) You are beautiful.
(b) I worship you.
(c) I'm happy to have met you.
(d) I honor you.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gregory put Despereaux?
2. What does Roscuro do that gets him into trouble with Gregory?
3. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
4. How many mice are in the Mouse Council.
5. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)