|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
(a) His brother Furlough.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister Merlot.
2. What is Despereaux's father's name?
3. What does Antoinette call out as Despereaux is led away?
(a) Have mercy.
(b) Be brave.
(c) Take me.
(d) Adieu (Farewell).
4. What does the light do to Roscuro?
(a) Fills him with wonder.
(b) Fills him with sadness.
(c) Makes him turn away.
(d) Blinds him.
5. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
(a) The Princess singing.
(b) The Princess playing a flute.
(c) King Phillip playing his guitar and singing.
(d) King Phillip playing a piano.
6. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
(a) A diamond.
(b) A pearl.
(c) A locket.
(d) A gold chunk.
7. Why does Despereaux tell the jailer he cannot die?
(a) Becaue he wants to learn how to write.
(b) Because he wants to read.
(c) Because he is in love.
(d) Because he is too young.
8. What other crime did he commit that he wasn't caught for?
(a) He traded his son for a horse and a saddle.
(b) He traded his daughter for ten chickens, and a horse.
(c) He traded his daughter for a red tablecloth, a hen and a handful of cigarettes.
(d) He traded his son for a daughter and a blanket.
9. What does Despereaux begin by reciting?
(a) While the cat is away.......
(b) Once upon a time....
(c) If I were a rich mouse.................
(d) There once was a mouse named Despereaux....
10. Why does the jailer have a rope around his ankle?
(a) To keep him from falling into a deep hole.
(b) To tie up prisoners with.
(c) To remind him that he is a prisoner.
(d) To guide him back to the beginning.
11. What does Despereaux wonder about that chills him?
(a) How big are the rats?
(b) How many rats are there?
(c) Is there really a 'happily ever after'?
(d) Do rats eat mice?
12. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
(a) A last meal.
(b) A piece of cheese.
(c) A last word with the Princess.
(d) A change of clothes.
13. How many brothers and sisters are in Despereaux's litter?
14. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
(a) He is the jailer.
(b) He was caught stealing.
(c) He was a guard caught sleeping on shift.
(d) He spilled the soup in the king's lap.
15. What does Despereaux say to the Princess before the King makes him leave?
(a) I worship you.
(b) I honor you.
(c) I'm happy to have met you.
(d) You are beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does he fall to?
2. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
3. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
4. What does Gregory do?
5. Who is the first to notice him there?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)