|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the King do after his Queen died?
(a) He stopped singing.
(b) He stopped making music.
(c) He sank into despair.
(d) He outlawed soup.
2. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
(c) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
(d) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
3. What one thing must all mice do?
(a) Learn to read.
(c) Have a family.
(d) Avoid cats.
4. What broke Roscuro's heart?
(a) The way the King cried for his wife.
(b) That he would never be welcome in the light.
(c) That he would not be a guest at the party.
(d) The look the Princess gave him.
5. What does Roscuro offer to do?
(a) Listen to any other confessionals.
(b) Take the cloth to ease the man's burden.
(c) Take a message to his daughter.
(d) Take a message to his son.
6. What does Despereaux's mother do when Despereaux is led away?
(a) She refuses to look.
(b) She calls his name repeatedly.
(c) She wails.
(d) She faints.
7. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
(a) That he will never come back upstairs again.
(b) That he belongs in the dark.
(c) That he will never go back downstairs.
(d) That he will have revenge and something beautiful.
8. What does Antoinette call out as Despereaux is led away?
(a) Be brave.
(b) Take me.
(c) Have mercy.
(d) Adieu (Farewell).
9. What does perfidy mean?
(d) Deliberate treachery.
10. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
(a) They never stop needing.
(b) They make her feel too sad.
(c) They are too much work.
(d) They ruin her beauty.
11. What is the last of the great, ancient rules of mice?
(a) Never allow humans to touch a mouse.
(b) Never reveal a mouse's house to a human.
(c) Never speak to humans.
(d) Never touch humans.
12. What is the first thing Despereax notices about the dungeon?
(a) The water.
(b) The bad smell.
(c) The thick walls.
(d) The odd sounds.
13. What other crime did he commit that he wasn't caught for?
(a) He traded his daughter for ten chickens, and a horse.
(b) He traded his son for a daughter and a blanket.
(c) He traded his son for a horse and a saddle.
(d) He traded his daughter for a red tablecloth, a hen and a handful of cigarettes.
14. Other than ridiculous, how is love described in this tale?
(a) Wonderful and powerful.
(b) Heartfelt and devoted.
(c) Joyful and illuminating.
(d) Purposeful and determined.
15. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
(a) The Princess playing a flute.
(b) King Phillip playing a piano.
(c) The Princess singing.
(d) King Phillip playing his guitar and singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the beating of the drum tell the Mouse Council members?
2. What is Despereaux's father's name?
3. Which rat was born in the dungeon several years before Despereaux was born?
4. How does Botticelli know another prisoner will come along soon?
5. Who is the first to notice him there?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)