|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
(a) Like bits of cotton.
(b) Like rose petals.
(c) Like small pieces of velvet.
(d) Like remnants of silk.
2. On what day does Roscuro leave the dungeon to go into the light of the castle?
(a) On the day Despereaux is born.
(b) On the King's anniversary.
(c) On the Princess's birthday.
(d) On Despereaux's first birthday.
3. What does Despereaux say to the Princess before the King makes him leave?
(a) I honor you.
(b) I worship you.
(c) I'm happy to have met you.
(d) You are beautiful.
4. What does Roscuro tell Botticelli he wants to do?
(a) Leave the dungeon for ever.
(b) Go upstairs into the light.
(c) Move to another dungeon.
(d) Let someone else torture the prisoner.
5. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
(c) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
(d) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
6. How much thread does the threadmaster use?
(a) Just enough to wrap around his finger twice.
(b) Enough to use as a rope if twined together.
(c) Just enough for the neck.
(d) Enough to wrap around his waist twice.
7. What does Antoinette call out as Despereaux is led away?
(a) Have mercy.
(b) Adieu (Farewell).
(c) Be brave.
(d) Take me.
8. What does Roscuro climb to?
(a) The book shelf.
(b) The chandelier.
(c) A tree.
(d) The serving table.
9. What is the meaning of life according to Botticelli?
(b) Peace in all things.
(c) Self sacrifice.
(d) Suffering of others.
10. What does Despereaux want before the guards lead him to the dungeon?
(a) A piece of cheese.
(b) A change of clothes.
(c) A last meal.
(d) A last word with the Princess.
11. What could Despereaux smell on the threadmaster's breath?
(c) Peanut butter.
12. What were the last words the Queen spoke?
(a) That rat is at play.
(b) There is a rat on the loose.
(c) There is a rat in the dining hall.
(d) There is a rat in my soup.
13. Who arrived at the castle on the same evening?
(a) Miggery Sow.
(b) Simmery Yow.
(c) Gimmery Gow.
(d) Siggery Mow.
14. How does Despereaux describe the sound he hears?
15. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
(a) To live.
(b) To be in love.
(c) To survive the rats.
(d) To serve the Princess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
2. What does Gregory call the dungeon?
3. How long has Gregory been in the dungeon?
4. Why is Gregory in the dungeon?
5. What happens to Roscuro as a result of seeing the light from the match?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)