|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else did the King order?
(a) That all the rats be killed.
(b) That rats be banished.
(c) That mice be allowed.
(d) That Roscuro be found and punished.
2. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
(a) The hair from prisoners' heads.
(b) The whiskers of mice.
(c) The thread of prisoners' blankets.
(d) The thread from threadbare clothing.
3. Why does a piece of red string get tied around Despereaux's neck?
(a) To be used as a portable sewing kit.
(b) To remember his family by.
(c) To mark him as a condemned mouse.
(d) So he can use it to find his way in the dark.
4. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
(c) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
(d) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
5. What nationality is Despereaux's mother?
6. What does Despereaux discover the sound to be?
(a) The Princess playing a flute.
(b) The Princess singing.
(c) King Phillip playing a piano.
(d) King Phillip playing his guitar and singing.
7. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
(a) To be in love.
(b) To live.
(c) To serve the Princess.
(d) To survive the rats.
8. Where does the Mouse Council want to send Despereaux?
(a) To the dungeon.
(b) To the Princess.
(c) To another colony.
(d) To the King.
9. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
(a) A pearl.
(b) A gold chunk.
(c) A diamond.
(d) A locket.
10. What other crime did he commit that he wasn't caught for?
(a) He traded his son for a daughter and a blanket.
(b) He traded his daughter for ten chickens, and a horse.
(c) He traded his son for a horse and a saddle.
(d) He traded his daughter for a red tablecloth, a hen and a handful of cigarettes.
11. How many mice has Gregory saved before Despereaux?
12. What does Despereaux's mother do when Despereaux is led away?
(a) She faints.
(b) She wails.
(c) She refuses to look.
(d) She calls his name repeatedly.
13. What does Despereaux have an unusual interest in?
(b) Card games.
14. How much thread does the threadmaster use?
(a) Just enough to wrap around his finger twice.
(b) Enough to use as a rope if twined together.
(c) Just enough for the neck.
(d) Enough to wrap around his waist twice.
15. What does Despereaux's mother put on in honor of her youngest mouse being taken to the dungeon?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A black veil.
(c) A new hat.
(d) A tremendous amount of makeup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Despereax notices about the dungeon?
2. What does the jailer show Despereaux?
3. What does Despereaux do in the library?
4. Who does Lester call?
5. What does Gregory do?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)