|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
(a) A locket.
(b) A gold chunk.
(c) A diamond.
(d) A pearl.
2. What two reasons make the dungeon so dangerous?
(a) The maze and the cold.
(b) The rats and other prisoners.
(c) The cold and the dark.
(d) The rats and the maze.
3. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
(a) Never chase cats.
(b) Never walk a straight line.
(c) Never reveal yourself to humans.
(d) Never eat cheese in the morning.
4. What does Botticelli try to teach Roscuro?
(a) How to hunt for food.
(b) How to torture a prisoner.
(c) How to catch mice.
(d) How to find Gregory.
5. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
(a) He forgets he is a mouse.
(b) He hears music.
(c) He falls in love.
(d) He discovers his destiny.
6. What is the rope necklace Botticelli wears the locket on made from?
(a) The hair from prisoners' heads.
(b) The thread from threadbare clothing.
(c) The thread of prisoners' blankets.
(d) The whiskers of mice.
7. What does Despereaux have an unusual interest in?
(c) Card games.
8. What did Furlough first notice when Despereaux was born?
(a) His eyes were open.
(b) He held his finger.
(c) He never cried.
(d) He smiled.
9. What does Roscuro tell Botticelli he wants to do?
(a) Leave the dungeon for ever.
(b) Move to another dungeon.
(c) Let someone else torture the prisoner.
(d) Go upstairs into the light.
10. How many mice are in the Mouse Council.
11. What is the meaning of life according to Botticelli?
(b) Self sacrifice.
(c) Peace in all things.
(d) Suffering of others.
12. What decision does Roscuro make at that moment?
(a) That he will never come back upstairs again.
(b) That he belongs in the dark.
(c) That he will never go back downstairs.
(d) That he will have revenge and something beautiful.
13. What does Despereaux believe his duty is?
(a) To be in love.
(b) To serve the Princess.
(c) To survive the rats.
(d) To live.
14. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
(c) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
(d) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
15. What does Despereaux begin by reciting?
(a) While the cat is away.......
(b) There once was a mouse named Despereaux....
(c) Once upon a time....
(d) If I were a rich mouse.................
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Princess describe Despereaux's ears?
2. What is the name of the kingdom?
3. Who arrived at the castle on the same evening?
4. What did the Pea announce when her father finished playing and singing?
5. What is the first thing Despereax notices about the dungeon?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)