|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incredible thing happens when the Princess smiles at Despereaux?
(a) He discovers his destiny.
(b) He hears music.
(c) He falls in love.
(d) He forgets he is a mouse.
2. Where does the Mouse Council want to send Despereaux?
(a) To the King.
(b) To another colony.
(c) To the Princess.
(d) To the dungeon.
3. What could Despereaux smell on the threadmaster's breath?
(a) Peanut butter.
4. Who does Despereaux recognize as one of the guards?
(a) His sister Merlot.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His brother Furlough.
5. What does perfidy mean?
(a) Deliberate treachery.
6. What does the beating of the drum tell the Mouse Council members?
(a) That an important decision must be made.
(b) That a meeting is being called.
(c) That a mouse has been discovered.
(d) That a crime has been committed.
7. Who does Lester call?
(a) His family.
(b) The Mouse Council.
(c) The King.
(d) The Princess.
8. What does Despereaux decide he must do?
(b) Be brave.
9. What makes the Princess cry?
(a) Her father banishes Despereaux from the castle.
(b) Her father condemns Despereaux to death.
(c) Her father yells at Despereaux.
(d) Her father fears Despereaux.
10. What were the last words the Queen spoke?
(a) There is a rat in my soup.
(b) There is a rat on the loose.
(c) That rat is at play.
(d) There is a rat in the dining hall.
11. What do stories do for Gregory?
(a) Help him see.
(b) Make light.
(c) Distract him.
(d) Teach him to read.
12. Why does Antoinette want no more babies?
(a) They are too much work.
(b) They never stop needing.
(c) They make her feel too sad.
(d) They ruin her beauty.
13. What does Furlough see that makes him think that Despereaux is a goner?
(a) He sees the Princess smile at Despereaux.
(b) He sees the Princess wink at Despereaux.
(c) He sees the Princess pick up Despereaux.
(d) He sees the Princess touch Despereaux's head.
14. What part of Despereaux is complimented by the first human he meets?
(a) His ears.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His hands.
(d) His feet.
15. What is the most basic and elemental rule that all mice adhere to?
(a) Never chase cats.
(b) Never walk a straight line.
(c) Never eat cheese in the morning.
(d) Never reveal yourself to humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Despereaux's mother put on in honor of her youngest mouse being taken to the dungeon?
2. What happens when he realizes this truth?
3. What other crime did he commit that he wasn't caught for?
4. What does Despereaux begin by reciting?
5. What does Botticelli have on a long, braided rope?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)