|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patrick O'Brien going to do to get to Pine Barrens?
2. By telling everyone the information about Talbot, Kimberly is doing what?
3. Who forged the journal that has the Talbot information in it?
4. Who propositions Abrams after the party, while he is in the study drinking?
5. What does Kimberly fear has happened to Carbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kimberly and Abrams doing together after going to the midtown office?
2. What is the difference between the way the spies and the cops think about investigation?
3. What is an "armchair spy"?
4. How is Katherine, as a character, humanized?
5. What do O'Brien's actions, in the first part of the story, say about his character?
6. What does West find when he returns to his room after Thorpe's call?
7. What is O'Brien's role in the journal with the Talbot information?
8. What does Kimberly discover in Carbury's file in the dead file room?
9. What do the interactions of the guests reveal about Katherine Kimberly and Marc Pembroke?
10. What did Abrams promise to do on July 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of observations in the story? Do observations drive actions, or do actions drive observations? Who is observant, and who is being observed? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The spies operate differently than the cops in the story. In what ways do the two sides operate differently, and what implications does this have in their search for Talbot? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using the examples from the story to support your answer, answer the following: What makes a good leader? Who in the story is the best leader?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)