|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first way that West tried to kill himself?
2. Whom does Kimberly confide in about her father's death?
3. What does Abrams think of Thorpe?
4. At what location does Abrams bribe an employee to let him into a room?
5. Abram's parents were American _______ labor sympathizers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bartender at the University Club tell Thorpe?
2. Who is Eleanor Wingate?
3. What do O'Brien's actions, in the first part of the story, say about his character?
4. How is Katherine, as a character, humanized?
5. How are Kimberly's actions, in the realm of espionage, that of an amateur?
6. What does West know about Thorpe and his personality?
7. What does Kimberly want to do in the midtown office the day after the party?
8. Why will Abrams be able to hide in plain sight at the firm's functions?
9. What happens to Abrams on the roof of the firm's town home?
10. When Thorpe enters the main dining room, what does Abrams say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, it is revealed that Henry Kimberly and O'Brien both want to be president. Which one would make the better president, and why? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, describe how each of the following conflicts is used in the book:
a. Man versus Man
b. Man versus Self
c. Man versus Society
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Katherine Kimberly and Peter Thorpe about? What is the goal of each person in the relationship? How does their relationship shadow the relationship of the U.S. and Russians in the book? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)