|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If West gives in to Thorpe's interrogation, what might West betray?
2. What agency does Ann Kimberly work for?
3. Who does Kimberly have follow Carbury?
4. At what location does Abrams bribe an employee to let him into a room?
5. Who propositions Abrams after the party, while he is in the study drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thorpe tell West when he calls West after dealing with O'Brien?
2. What happens when West tries to kill himself with the pipe?
3. What is Thorpe's interrogation technique that he uses on West?
4. What does Abrams suspect about Thorpe?
5. Why is Thorpe hostile to Abrams?
6. What does the bartender at the University Club tell Thorpe?
7. Who is Eleanor Wingate?
8. What is an "armchair spy"?
9. Who is Ann Kimberly?
10. What did Abrams promise to do on July 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, it is revealed that Henry Kimberly and O'Brien both want to be president. Which one would make the better president, and why? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a sociopath? Who in the story most resembles a sociopath, and why? What is the author's purpose in having a sociopathic character? Cite examples and actions from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The spies operate differently than the cops in the story. In what ways do the two sides operate differently, and what implications does this have in their search for Talbot? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)