|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Thorpe tell O'Brien he is working for?
2. What is the nationality of Abrams' family?
3. If West gives in to Thorpe's interrogation, what might West betray?
4. What did Thorpe and Abrams find in the Englishman's room?
5. Abrams is going to an event to honor former OSS and ______ Intelligence officers.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katherine, as a character, humanized?
2. What did Abrams promise to do on July 4?
3. What does Kimberly want to do in the midtown office the day after the party?
4. What has Androv done to Van Dorn's telephone?
5. What is an "armchair spy"?
6. How does Joan appear to have more depth as a character than initially thought?
7. Who is Eleanor Wingate?
8. What do O'Brien's actions, in the first part of the story, say about his character?
9. What does Thorpe tell West when he calls West after dealing with O'Brien?
10. What drives Thorpe's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the three types of irony? Which type of irony was used best in the story, and why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a hero? Who is a hero in this story? Why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Katherine Kimberly and Peter Thorpe about? What is the goal of each person in the relationship? How does their relationship shadow the relationship of the U.S. and Russians in the book? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)