|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patrick O'Brien going to do to get to Pine Barrens?
2. Who sits at the same table as Kimberly and Thorpe at the black tie event?
3. Thorpe tells West that the CIA would rather ____ him than retire him.
4. What does Thorpe do to West when West tells the truth during interrogation?
5. What kind of spy is Kimberly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when West tries to kill himself with the pipe?
2. What does the bartender at the University Club tell Thorpe?
3. What is O'Brien's role in the journal with the Talbot information?
4. What do O'Brien's actions, in the first part of the story, say about his character?
5. What does Kimberly want to do in the midtown office the day after the party?
6. Who is Ann Kimberly?
7. What is the difference between the way the spies and the cops think about investigation?
8. What does West plan to do, while he is being tortured by Thorpe?
9. What are Thorpe's intentions when torturing West?
10. What information does O'Brien pass to Abrams by telephone after the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is faith? How is faith in other people shown and developed? What character in the book has the most faith in other people? How does this help or hinder the search for Talbot and the planning against the Russians? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the three types of irony? Which type of irony was used best in the story, and why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your answer: How does Katherine Kimberly's memory of her father motivate her in her actions as a spy?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)