|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will be speaking at the dinner on behalf of James Allerton?
2. How does Peter Thorpe arrive at the American May Day party being held at Van Dorn's residence?
3. What kind of spy is Kimberly?
4. When Abrams mentions his suspicions of Thorpe, what does Kimberly do?
5. Thorpe tells West that the CIA would rather ____ him than retire him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the interactions of the guests reveal about Katherine Kimberly and Marc Pembroke?
2. How is Katherine, as a character, humanized?
3. What does Thorpe tell West when he calls West after dealing with O'Brien?
4. Who is Claudia?
5. What is O'Brien's role in the journal with the Talbot information?
6. What do O'Brien's actions, in the first part of the story, say about his character?
7. What is an "armchair spy"?
8. Who is Nicholas West?
9. What is Thorpe's interrogation technique that he uses on West?
10. What does Abrams learn from Spinelli after leaving Kimberly's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a hero? Who is a hero in this story? Why? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, describe the role of class in the book. Include descriptions of what is upper class/aristocracy and what is not. Be sure to include examples of who fits into each group and what role class plays in their character's actions.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of observations in the story? Do observations drive actions, or do actions drive observations? Who is observant, and who is being observed? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)