|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the royal healer who restores the Ulster warrior's health?
2. Who describes the massive number of warriors in Chapter XIII by their lineage?
3. Who slays the shepherd responsible for bringing the bull back in Section VII?
4. Which warrior refuses to fight Cuchulainn in Section VII?
5. What is the name of Medb's herdsman killed in Section VI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
2. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
3. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
4. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
5. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
6. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
7. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
8. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
9. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
10. Why does Ailill mock Fergus after he loses his sword? In what other way does Ailill mock Fergus and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Fergus to the story? How might the novel have differed if he had not been introduced?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)