|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will the Ulster warrior live if restored to full warrior ability?
2. Who accompanied Fergus to offer Ailill's truce offer to Cuchulainn?
3. What does the healer use to replace the Ulster warrior's missing ribs?
4. Who do the king and queen believe to be their final solution in killing Cuchulainn?
5. Which warrior refuses to fight Cuchulainn in Section VII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
2. How does the army attempt to move Donn Cuailnge from Black Cauldron to Conaille?
3. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
4. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
5. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
6. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
7. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
8. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
9. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
10. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)