|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Medb's herdsman killed in Section VI?
2. Why doesn't Cuchulainn want to fight Ferbaeth?
3. What kind of weapon does Cuchulainn and his foster-brother use on day two of their fight in Chapter XI?
4. Who refuses to fight a beardless boy?
5. Who accompanied Fergus to offer Ailill's truce offer to Cuchulainn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
2. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
3. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
4. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
5. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
6. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
7. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
8. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
9. Why does Ailill mock Fergus after he loses his sword? In what other way does Ailill mock Fergus and why?
10. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)