|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who describes the massive number of warriors in Chapter XIII by the things they do and have?
2. Who suffers death by apple in Section VIII?
3. Why does Fergus agree to face Cuchulainn in Section X?
4. How large were the wounds suffered by Cuchulainn and his foster-brother after the second day of fighting?
5. What does Cuchulainn use to stain his face so that it appears "bearded?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes King Ailill's daughter Finnabair to fall dead?
2. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
3. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
4. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
5. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
6. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
7. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
8. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
9. Chapter XIII contains a long list of great warriors as described by two people. Who are the people and what differs about their descriptions of the great warriors?
10. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)