|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Cuchulainn develop a fake beard?
2. Where is Cuchulainn taken to recuperate?
3. Why does Fergus agree to face Cuchulainn in Section X?
4. Who warns Conchobor of the approaching army in Chapter XII?
5. Who mocks Fergus for going easy against his kinsmen at Ulster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)