|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the fierce Ulster warrior who kills several army members while Cuchulainn is being healed?
2. Who is only severely maimed by Cuchulainn in Section VIII?
3. What is the method of fighting used between Cuchulainn and the representative of Ailill's army at the end of Section VII?
4. Who gets his hair and clothing cut by Cuchulainn before the warrior finally just kills him?
5. What is the second weapon Cuchulainn and his foster-brother choose to fight with in Chapter XI?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the army attempt to move Donn Cuailnge from Black Cauldron to Conaille?
2. What causes Cuchulainn's massive killings to stop as Ailill and Medb's army approach?
3. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
4. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
5. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
6. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
7. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
8. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
9. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
10. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the qualifications of Thomas Kinsella as a translator. What makes him an authority on the translation of The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
Name three women from the novel and tell how each was important to the story. Give a brief character description of each as well.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)