|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the healer use to replace the Ulster warrior's missing ribs?
2. Where does Medb find the prized bull?
3. When the person sent to seize Cuchulainn's javelin was killed, what did he/she call the weapon?
4. Who describes the massive number of warriors in Chapter XIII by their lineage?
5. Who mocks Fergus for going easy against his kinsmen at Ulster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
2. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
3. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
4. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
5. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
6. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
7. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
8. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
9. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
10. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)