|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mocks Fergus for going easy against his kinsmen at Ulster?
2. Who is sent to portray Ailill in a meeting with Cuchulainn?
3. Where does the army hear the bull is hiding?
4. Who slays the shepherd responsible for bringing the bull back in Section VII?
5. What is the second weapon Cuchulainn and his foster-brother choose to fight with in Chapter XI?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
2. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
3. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
4. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
5. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
6. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
7. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
8. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
9. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
10. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)