|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to fight a beardless boy?
2. What kind of weapon does Cuchulainn and his foster-brother use on their third day of fighting?
3. How does Cuchulainn protect himself from Gaile Dana and his sons?
4. What kind of weapon does Cuchulainn and his foster-brother use on day two of their fight in Chapter XI?
5. Who starts a war with Ailill's army after a truce is made with Rochad?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
2. How does the army attempt to move Donn Cuailnge from Black Cauldron to Conaille?
3. Chapter XIII contains a long list of great warriors as described by two people. Who are the people and what differs about their descriptions of the great warriors?
4. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
5. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
6. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
7. What causes King Ailill's daughter Finnabair to fall dead?
8. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
9. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
10. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)