|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Cuchulainn and his foster-brother use on their third day of fighting?
2. Who describes the massive number of warriors in Chapter XIII by the things they do and have?
3. Where is Cuchulainn taken to recuperate?
4. How many healers tell the Ulster warrior that he is beyond help?
5. Who starts a war with Ailill's army after a truce is made with Rochad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
2. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
3. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
4. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
5. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
6. Why does Ailill mock Fergus after he loses his sword? In what other way does Ailill mock Fergus and why?
7. What causes King Ailill's daughter Finnabair to fall dead?
8. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
9. Chapter XIII contains a long list of great warriors as described by two people. Who are the people and what differs about their descriptions of the great warriors?
10. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)