|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Medb use to describe her thighs in Chapter XI?
2. Who mocks Fergus for going easy against his kinsmen at Ulster?
3. Who falls dead from shame in Chapter XII after having been responsible for so many deaths?
4. How long will the Ulster warrior live if restored to full warrior ability?
5. What weapon does Cuchulainn use in Section VII to continue killing the army's men at night from afar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
2. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
3. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
4. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
5. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
6. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
7. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
8. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
9. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
10. What causes King Ailill's daughter Finnabair to fall dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Name three women from the novel and tell how each was important to the story. Give a brief character description of each as well.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)