|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the king and queen believe to be their final solution in killing Cuchulainn?
2. Who suffers death by apple in Section VIII?
3. Where is Cuchulainn taken to recuperate?
4. Where does the army hear the bull is hiding?
5. Who is the army scout for Ailill's army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
2. What causes King Ailill's daughter Finnabair to fall dead?
3. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
4. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
5. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
6. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
7. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
8. How does the army attempt to move Donn Cuailnge from Black Cauldron to Conaille?
9. What causes Cuchulainn's massive killings to stop as Ailill and Medb's army approach?
10. Chapter XIII contains a long list of great warriors as described by two people. Who are the people and what differs about their descriptions of the great warriors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of The Tain. What does the reader learn about Celtic culture from the exposition in The Tain? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)