|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Fergus to offer Ailill's truce offer to Cuchulainn?
2. How does the first day of fighting end for Cuchulainn and his foster-brother in Chapter XI?
3. Which warrior agrees to fight Cuchulainn in Section VII in exchange for marrying Ailill's daughter?
4. Who falls dead from shame in Chapter XII after having been responsible for so many deaths?
5. Who warns Cuchulainn that Medb is planning to ambush him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the qualifications of Thomas Kinsella as a translator. What makes him an authority on the translation of The Tain.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)