|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a criminal in Ailill's kingdom wishing to get pardoned by slaying Cuchulainn?
2. What weapon does Cuchulainn use in Section VII to continue killing the army's men at night from afar?
3. Who does Cuchulainn summon to help scout the advancing army?
4. What does Cuchulainn use to stain his face so that it appears "bearded?"
5. Where does the army hear the bull is hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the army attempt to move Donn Cuailnge from Black Cauldron to Conaille?
2. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
3. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
4. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
5. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
6. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
7. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
8. Why does Fergus fear a mere boy warrior, Erc?
9. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
10. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name three women from the novel and tell how each was important to the story. Give a brief character description of each as well.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)