|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Cuchulainn and his foster-brother use on day two of their fight in Chapter XI?
2. Who suffers death by apple in Section VIII?
3. Who tries to get Cuchulainn to leave his foster-brother's corpse?
4. What is the name of Cuchulainn's divine god-like father?
5. Which river in Section VI seems to flood to bar the army from passing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Specifically describe Cuchulainn's warp-spasm when he is older.
2. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
3. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
4. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
5. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
6. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
7. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
8. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
9. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
10. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the mood of a novel or literary work? What was the mood of this novel? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the term mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Name three women from the novel and tell how each was important to the story. Give a brief character description of each as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)