|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Gaile Dana have?
2. Whose sword is stolen in Section VI?
3. When the person sent to seize Cuchulainn's javelin was killed, what did he/she call the weapon?
4. Who helps Cuchulainn develop a fake beard?
5. Who is a criminal in Ailill's kingdom wishing to get pardoned by slaying Cuchulainn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
2. Chapter XIII contains a long list of great warriors as described by two people. Who are the people and what differs about their descriptions of the great warriors?
3. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
4. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
5. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
6. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
7. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
8. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
9. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
10. Why does Ailill mock Fergus after he loses his sword? In what other way does Ailill mock Fergus and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of The Tain. What does the reader learn about Celtic culture from the exposition in The Tain? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)