|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Fergus to offer Ailill's truce offer to Cuchulainn?
2. Who is the shepherd responsible for bringing back the bull in Section VIII?
3. How many sons does Gaile Dana have?
4. Where does the army hear the bull is hiding?
5. Who intervenes to help Cuchulainn fight Gaile Dana and his sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
2. Why does Ailill mock Fergus after he loses his sword? In what other way does Ailill mock Fergus and why?
3. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
4. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
5. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
6. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
7. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
8. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
9. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
10. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the mood of a novel or literary work? What was the mood of this novel? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the term mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)