|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which misty figure explains the Tain?
2. How long does the curse on the men of Ulster last?
3. Which girl does Cuchulainn court?
4. How many neighborhood boys does Cuchulainn defeat as a toddler?
5. Who does Fergus want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
2. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
3. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
4. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father and what is his role in the war?
5. Where is Cuchulainn when the battle between Ailill and Conchobor's armies begin? Who tells him the progress of the armies?
6. How does Derdriu die?
7. How and when does the war between Ailill and Conchobor's armies begin?
8. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
9. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
10. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)