|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which child is reared by the entire community?
2. Which element does Cuchulaiin's girl ask him to carry while jumping?
3. Who does Fergus want to marry?
4. How does the chariot race end?
5. How many feats must Cuchulainn complete to win his girl's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
2. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
3. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
4. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
5. Who is Setanta?
6. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
7. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
8. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
9. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
10. How does Derdriu die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)