|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the story of the Tain recorded?
2. Who has war with Aife?
3. How many feats must Cuchulainn complete to win his girl's heart?
4. Which element does Cuchulaiin's girl ask him to carry while jumping?
5. Who raced the chariot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
2. Why do the two pig-keepers in the story begin to compete with each other?
3. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
4. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
5. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
6. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
7. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
8. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
9. Why were the men of Ulster defenseless against a group of invading marauders? Why wasn't Cuchulainn affected?
10. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Fergus to the story? How might the novel have differed if he had not been introduced?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)