|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose child lets out an audible scream from the womb?
2. Who refused to serve under a woman?
3. How does the chariot race end?
4. Who is sent to find the story of "Tain Bo Cuailnge?"
5. What does Cuchulainn drink as an infant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
2. Why were the men of Ulster defenseless against a group of invading marauders? Why wasn't Cuchulainn affected?
3. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
4. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
5. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
6. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
7. Why do the two pig-keepers in the story begin to compete with each other?
8. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
9. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
10. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)