|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who curses the men of Ulster?
2. Of which community does Fergus rule as king?
3. Who is Finnbennach?
4. Who gives the prediction that the first person to take up arms on a particular day would become a great warrior?
5. Which girl does Cuchulainn court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the owner of the prized possession think about the exchange offer and what is the ultimate result of it?
2. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
3. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
4. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
5. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
6. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
7. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
8. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
9. How does Derdriu die?
10. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
Essay Topic 3
There are four points-of-view in which literature is written: first-person, third-person objective, third-person limited, and omniscient. Which point-of-view is used in this book? Is this the most effective point-of-view for this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)