Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knows the whole story of "Tain Bo Cuailnge?"
2. In which land does Domnall originate?
3. From where does Cuchulainn capture a live wild deer and a flock of swans?
4. Who kills Cuchulainn's son?
5. Where is the inn in which Conchobor and his men find shelter during their hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
2. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
3. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
4. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
5. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
6. Where is Cuchulainn when the battle between Ailill and Conchobor's armies begin? Who tells him the progress of the armies?
7. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
8. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
9. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
10. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the qualifications of Thomas Kinsella as a translator. What makes him an authority on the translation of The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of The Tain. What does the reader learn about Celtic culture from the exposition in The Tain? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)