|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cuchulainn do to the charioteers stopped by the fallen tree?
2. Who is the first handsome young man in which Derdriu has an interest?
3. How does Cuchulainn halt the army's progress upon Ulster?
4. What is the name of Sualdam's son?
5. How does Cuchulainn chop down a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
2. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
3. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
4. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
5. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
6. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
7. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
8. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
9. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
10. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)