|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which husband bragged that his wife could beat the fastest chariot?
2. Who is frightened by Cuchulainn's tree-chopping?
3. How old was Cuchulainn when he saved Ulster from attacking marauders?
4. Who raced the chariot?
5. Who does Deichtine marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
2. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
3. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
4. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
5. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
6. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
7. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
8. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
9. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
10. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)