|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the army's 3,000 elite warriors called?
2. What board game does Cuchulainn like as a child?
3. How many men does Cuchulaiin's girl want him to kill at each ford?
4. Of which community does Fergus rule as king?
5. What is used for hobbling animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
2. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
3. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
4. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
5. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
6. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
7. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
8. How does Derdriu die?
9. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
10. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the qualifications of Thomas Kinsella as a translator. What makes him an authority on the translation of The Tain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)