|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks in bed?
2. How old was Cuchulainn when he saved Ulster from attacking marauders?
3. Who is the wise judge that Conchobor consults?
4. What is strange about Fedelm?
5. Who kills a guard dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
2. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
3. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
4. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
5. What does the owner of the prized possession think about the exchange offer and what is the ultimate result of it?
6. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
7. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
8. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
9. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
10. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Select a different type of conflict and explain how this story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)