|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many feats must Cuchulainn complete to win his girl's heart?
2. What does Cuchulainn do to the horses of the charioteers he stops?
3. Who is impressed with Cuchulainn's tree-chopping?
4. Whose child lets out an audible scream from the womb?
5. What do Conchobor and his men hunt on their chariots?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
2. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
3. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
4. How does Derdriu die?
5. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
6. Why were the men of Ulster defenseless against a group of invading marauders? Why wasn't Cuchulainn affected?
7. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
8. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
9. What was the prophecy spoken of Derdriu?
10. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)