|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which child is reared by the entire community?
2. What is strange about Fedelm?
3. Who slays both Noisiu and Fiacha?
4. Who refused to serve under a woman?
5. What does Cuchulainn drink as an infant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
2. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
3. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
4. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
5. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
6. What was the prophecy spoken of Derdriu?
7. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
8. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
9. Who is Setanta?
10. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)