|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first handsome young man in which Derdriu has an interest?
2. Whose guard dog is killed?
3. Who is the wise judge that Conchobor consults?
4. What is Fedelm?
5. Who is sent to find the story of "Tain Bo Cuailnge?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
2. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
3. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
4. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
5. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
6. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
7. Who is Setanta?
8. What was the prophecy spoken of Derdriu?
9. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
10. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name three women from the novel and tell how each was important to the story. Give a brief character description of each as well.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of The Tain. What does the reader learn about Celtic culture from the exposition in The Tain? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)