|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Medb's army searches to find?
2. What is strange about Fedelm?
3. Who catches a "bug" from a drink of water?
4. Which warrior lifted grown soldiers over his head?
5. From where does Cuchulainn capture a live wild deer and a flock of swans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two choices Cethern is given by the royal healer and which does he select?
2. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
3. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
4. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
5. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
6. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
7. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
8. How and when does the war between Ailill and Conchobor's armies begin?
9. When Medb and Ailill get Fergus drunk and send him to fight Cuchulainn, why doesn't Cuchulainn kill him?
10. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)