|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Fergus tell stories about Cuchulainn's great adventures and exploits?
2. How does the chariot race end?
3. Who kills Cuchulainn's son?
4. What is the name of Sualdam's son?
5. Who warns the men of Ulster of the pending war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the prophecy spoken of Derdriu?
2. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
3. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
4. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
5. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
6. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
7. How does Derdriu die?
8. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
9. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
10. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the mood of a novel or literary work? What was the mood of this novel? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the term mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in The Tain. How did the translator present it? How did the falling action flow? How did the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of The Tain? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)