|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Medb's army searches to find?
2. Who steals Conchobor's weapons and chariot?
3. Who is Donn Cuailnge?
4. How long does the curse on the men of Ulster last?
5. Who is Daire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
2. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
3. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
4. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
5. Why were the men of Ulster defenseless against a group of invading marauders? Why wasn't Cuchulainn affected?
6. What does the owner of the prized possession think about the exchange offer and what is the ultimate result of it?
7. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
8. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
9. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
10. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to The Tain.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)