|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the poets of Ireland gather to meet?
2. Who kills a guard dog?
3. Who curses the men of Ulster?
4. Who is named king for one year?
5. Who convinces Cuchulaiin to go for more training?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Setanta?
2. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
3. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
4. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
5. Name three creatures that become involved in the epic battle between the two pig-keepers.
6. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
7. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
8. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
9. Why does Cuchulainn refuse to leave Ferdia's corpse?
10. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss five points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)