|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fergus want to marry?
2. How many grown soldiers were lifted over the warrior's head?
3. How old was Cuchulainn when he saved Ulster from attacking marauders?
4. Who gives the prediction that the first person to take up arms on a particular day would become a great warrior?
5. Who explains the scream heard from the womb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
2. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
3. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
4. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
5. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
6. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
7. What happens when Cuchulainn realizes he has killed his son?
8. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
9. How does Derdriu die?
10. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the mood of a novel or literary work? What was the mood of this novel? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the term mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characteristics Joseph Campbell outlines for the mythical hero archetype. Which character best fits all of these characteristics and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)