|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cuchulainn halt the army's progress upon Ulster?
2. Who is impressed with Cuchulainn's tree-chopping?
3. How does the chariot race end?
4. Whose guard dog is killed?
5. Who does Fergus want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one asset differs between the king and queen? Who is missing it and how does it make that person feel?
2. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
3. Who is the first person Cuchulainn kills with the gae bolga? Explain the circumstances that result in the death.
4. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
5. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
6. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
7. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
8. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
9. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
10. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of The Tain. What does the reader learn about Celtic culture from the exposition in The Tain? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)