|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knows the whole story of "Tain Bo Cuailnge?"
2. In which land does Domnall originate?
3. From where does Cuchulainn capture a live wild deer and a flock of swans?
4. Who kills Cuchulainn's son?
5. Where is the inn in which Conchobor and his men find shelter during their hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
2. Why doesn't Cuchulainn kill Fergus whenever the army is nearing Ulster?
3. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
4. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
5. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
6. Where is Cuchulainn when the battle between Ailill and Conchobor's armies begin? Who tells him the progress of the armies?
7. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
8. Why does Cuchulainn strut around the day after his bloody, warp-spasm induced battle?
9. How does Emer's father plan to get rid of Cuchulainn? What is the result?
10. How is it that Loch almost defeats Cuchulainn?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Fergus to the story? How might the novel have differed if he had not been introduced?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)