|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named king for one year?
2. How does Cuchulainn kill the charioteer who did not follow his orders?
3. What are the army's 3,000 elite warriors called?
4. How old was Cuchulainn when he saved Ulster from attacking marauders?
5. Who gives the prediction that the first person to take up arms on a particular day would become a great warrior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
2. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
3. Why does Macha curse the men of Ulster?
4. Who is Setanta?
5. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
6. What was the prophecy spoken of Derdriu?
7. What is unusual about Fedlimid's pregnant wife?
8. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
9. How does Derdriu die?
10. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is inciting force and which character was the inciting force in this story? How did the character fulfill that role? Give three examples and discuss the importance of each one in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character, Cuchulainn, and his growth throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)