|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is impressed with Cuchulainn's tree-chopping?
2. What is the name of t he child who screamed in the womb?
3. Who has war with Aife?
4. Which husband bragged that his wife could beat the fastest chariot?
5. Who announces the day and time that is perfect for conceiving a child who would gain great fame in Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
2. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
3. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
4. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
5. What is a warp spasm and how does it benefit Cuchulainn when he fights the neighborhood boys as a toddler?
6. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
7. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
8. Who is Setanta?
9. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
10. What are the names of the two pig-keepers in the story and what unusual power do both have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of loyalty as a motif in this novel. Be sure to define motif in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of main character? Name three main characters from The Tain and discuss the important role of each in the epic tale.
Essay Topic 3
There are four points-of-view in which literature is written: first-person, third-person objective, third-person limited, and omniscient. Which point-of-view is used in this book? Is this the most effective point-of-view for this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)