|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has war with Aife?
2. What is it that Medb's army searches to find?
3. What is the name of t he child who screamed in the womb?
4. Who steals Conchobor's weapons and chariot?
5. How does the army circumvent the trap left in the road for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cuchulainn get his name?
2. Discuss "woman's thinking" as the great army nears Ulster.
3. What three tasks does Emer require her suitor to complete?
4. Why were the men of Ulster defenseless against a group of invading marauders? Why wasn't Cuchulainn affected?
5. Why do the poets of Ireland gather in the section called "Before the Tain?"
6. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
7. Who does Derdriu marry and how does their marriage occur?
8. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
9. What is the prized possession being sought because of the king and queen's talk and where is it? What is offered in exchange for it?
10. What does the owner of the prized possession think about the exchange offer and what is the ultimate result of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist in The Tain. Discuss the antagonist. Is there ever a time in the novel when it seems like they have reversed roles? Use the definition for the terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in The Tain. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)