|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the army hear the bull is hiding?
(d) Black Cauldron.
2. How does the second day of fighting end in Chapter XI between Cuchulainn and his foster-brother?
(a) Another stalemate.
(b) The foster-brother wins.
(c) The book does not say.
(d) Cuchulainn wins again.
3. Who is sent to portray Ailill in a meeting with Cuchulainn?
4. Which river in Section VI seems to flood to bar the army from passing?
5. Which river in Section VI swells and carries off one-hundred chariots?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fergus agree to face Cuchulainn in Section X?
2. What is the second weapon Cuchulainn and his foster-brother choose to fight with in Chapter XI?
3. Who describes the massive number of warriors in Chapter XIII by their lineage?
4. How many versions of how the army arrives in a new community are told in Section VI?
5. Who is Cuchulainn's mortal father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ailill use the town fool and why is Cuchulainn aggravated by the situation?
2. How does Fergus lose his sword? What does he do without it?
3. How many healers tell Cethern he is beyond help? Who is the royal healer that finally agrees to help him?
4. Describe Cur's attack on Cuchulainn. Who wins the fight and how?
5. Why does Ailill enlist the help of a spy and what does the spy report back to Ailill?
6. What, other than their fear of him, makes warriors not want to fight Cuchulainn? How does he get past this obstacle?
7. Describe how Cuchulainn finally defeats Ferdia. Explain how the weapon he used works.
8. Who is Cuchulainn's longest battle with and why?
9. What is Cuchulainn's unusual connection with the gods? How does his god-like father help him heal as the great army gets closer to Ulster?
10. Who saves Cuchulainn's life as he faces a man and his 27 sons?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)