|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which husband bragged that his wife could beat the fastest chariot?
2. Which misty figure explains the Tain?
3. How does the toddler Cuchulainn defeat the neighborhood boys?
(a) By puking on them.
(b) By going into a warp spasm.
(c) By telling their mothers.
(d) By throwing a tantrum.
4. How does Cuchulainn halt the army's progress upon Ulster?
(a) With a secret potion.
(b) With a curse of pain.
(c) With a magical spancel-hoop.
(d) With pure luck.
5. What is given in exchange for the baby born at the inn?
(a) Two horses.
(b) A barrel of water.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A sack of grain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Donn Cuailnge?
2. Who forces Aife to bear a son?
3. What is the name of Conchobor's sister?
4. What is the name of t he child who screamed in the womb?
5. Who is the wise judge that Conchobor consults?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes up Medb and Ailill's great army?
2. What does Fergus say about Cuchulainn's childhood?
3. How does Cuchulainn slow down the great army? What is unusual about his technique? How does the army adjust?
4. What vow does Cuchulainn make to himself and how is it related to the names of the fords and plains of the story?
5. Who is Fedelm? What is unique about her and what message does she share with Medb?
6. Describe the discussion between Ailill and Medb and what does it result in?
7. Why do the two pig-keepers in the story begin to compete with each other?
8. Why does Cuchulainn spare Orlam's charioteer, then kill him later?
9. How do the scholars learn the tale of the Tain in its entirety?
10. How does Conchobor become king of Ulster?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)