|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is marked on the buttons of Jack's suit?
2. How does Ravenscar die?
3. What is Leibniz afraid will happen before he finishes his project?
4. The Clubb believes finding what person will conclude the infernal device investigation?
5. What signifies that the gold is pure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel decide to tell Eliza about in his letter?
2. Describe Sir Isaac's illness.
3. How is Sir Isaac's death hidden from the officials?
4. What happens to Jack, according to the Epilogs?
5. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
6. How does Daniel feel about what happens to Ravenscar in Chapter 9, and what must he now handle by himself?
7. What is White's offer to Jack, and how does Jack respond?
8. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
9. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
10. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the book's basis in factual science, knowledge, and events add to (or detract from) the value and enjoyment of the book? Explain how Stephenson introduces concepts that the reader might not be familiar with, analyzing specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, people and objects are continually being disguised. Examine three examples from the book where a disguise is used. Determine whether the disguise is successful, and how/why it is or is not.
Essay Topic 3
The fate of England's currency is a major subject throughout the narrative: why does counterfeiting pose such a threat of unbalancing national stability? Be sure to explain Sir Isaac's role and effect in regard to England's economy.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)