|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does NOT reside at Blenheim Palace, according to the Epilogue?
2. White is arrested upon whose authority?
3. What is the gold smuggled to the shipping docks disguised as?
4. What name does Jack note at the reading of his last rights?
5. Why is the magistrate in a foul mood about the King's coronation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Daniel's conflicting thoughts about sacking Sir Isaac as master of the mint?
2. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
3. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
4. How has Dappa turned the tables on White by this point in the story?
5. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
6. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
7. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
8. What is the significance of the cheering public throwing coins at Jack in his cell?
9. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
10. How does Daniel feel about what happens to Ravenscar in Chapter 9, and what must he now handle by himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Daniel and Sir Isaac's time, patenting laws and intellectual property rights did not exist to protect inventors and natural philosophers. What problems do the characters run into with the threat of someone stealing their ideas, and how do they protect themselves? How do you think these disputes would be settled if they occurred today?
Essay Topic 2
The Whigs and the Tories are the two biggest political parties in England at the time of the novel. Daniel tries to remain neutral in regard to politics, but how are his actions affected by the politics of those around him? Compare and contrast the two parties, using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel generates interest and investors for inventions throughout the book. Examine how good of a 'salesman' he is by citing specific examples from the text. How could he do better and be more convincing?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)