|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack wearing when he arrives at the hanging platform?
2. What does Daniel give to Sir Isaac from within the veiled sedan chair?
3. What ailment does Sir Isaac suffer from?
4. What does Colonel Barnes say has happened after Jack was hung?
5. Who accompanies Daniel to investigate Fleet Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sir Isaac's illness.
2. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
3. What unusual occurrences has Jack experienced, and what is mysterious about them?
4. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
5. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
6. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
7. What happens to Jack, according to the Epilogs?
8. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
9. Why does the exchange between Jack and his visitor sicken Daniel?
10. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how the characters' lives are different in the Epilogs from earlier. Identify any questions the Epilogs answered, as well any new questions a reader might have after reading.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel generates interest and investors for inventions throughout the book. Examine how good of a 'salesman' he is by citing specific examples from the text. How could he do better and be more convincing?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the threats coming from lands beyond England with the threats coming from within the country itself. Which are more severe? Explain using examples.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)