|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dappa after the duel?
2. What happens after Sir Isaac and Leibniz bid each other farewell?
3. Where is Jack moved to in the prison?
4. Who tells Daniel that many men aboard the Minerva perceive him as bad luck?
5. Who does NOT reside at Blenheim Palace, according to the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though torture is a punishment, does Jack gain anything positive from the experience?
2. What does Daniel decide to tell Eliza about in his letter?
3. What are Daniel's conflicting thoughts about sacking Sir Isaac as master of the mint?
4. How is Sir Isaac's death hidden from the officials?
5. Describe the security measures at Westminster Abbey and what they are protecting.
6. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
7. Why does the exchange between Jack and his visitor sicken Daniel?
8. What evidence does the Clubb find to expose Bolingbroke and White as counterfeiters?
9. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
10. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dappa is a negro author and shipmate of the Minerva. Explain how Dappa's character serves as a role reversal from a typical 'escaped slave' narrative, noting specific examples of how he interacts with other characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Whigs and the Tories are the two biggest political parties in England at the time of the novel. Daniel tries to remain neutral in regard to politics, but how are his actions affected by the politics of those around him? Compare and contrast the two parties, using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Cite examples where a character from the book reminisces about his or her life and then uses that reflection to motivate a future action, or modify their current opinions / attitude. What prompted the character to think about his or her past, and did the reminiscing have a positive effect?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)