|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White spread rumors about?
2. Who accompanies Daniel to investigate Fleet Prison?
3. What does the executioner place over Jack's head?
4. Where does Sir Isaac instruct Catherine Barton to take him, whether he is alive or dead?
5. How long has Jack been telling tales of conspiracy to his visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
2. What is the procedure for testing the gold guinea samples?
3. How is Sir Isaac's death hidden from the officials?
4. What happens to Jack, according to the Epilogs?
5. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
6. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
7. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
8. 'Translate' two of Jack Ketch and Jack Shaftoe's riddles to each other, as they speak to confuse onlookers and listeners.
9. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
10. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Solomon declares that he knows of only two alchemists in the world. What events in the book focus on, or are colored by aspects of alchemy? How does Daniel's involvement with alchemy help or hinder him in any situations?
Essay Topic 2
How does the book's basis in factual science, knowledge, and events add to (or detract from) the value and enjoyment of the book? Explain how Stephenson introduces concepts that the reader might not be familiar with, analyzing specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Select two characters from the book who are accused of treason and analyze why they were accused. Do you think the characters' actions warranted the punishment (if any) that they received?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)