|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Clubb believes finding what person will conclude the infernal device investigation?
2. What happens after Sir Isaac and Leibniz bid each other farewell?
3. What does Ravenscar announce he is doing as a regent?
4. What did Eliza once ask Jack to choose?
5. How many goldsmiths are sworn in at the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jack, according to the Epilogs?
2. What is the significance of the cheering public throwing coins at Jack in his cell?
3. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
4. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
5. What is the procedure for testing the gold guinea samples?
6. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
7. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
8. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
9. How has Dappa turned the tables on White by this point in the story?
10. Why does Bob Shaftoe mention his brother as though Jack is still alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many narratives foreshadow the conclusion of the story through subtle hints or blatant clues. Select an event in Book 8 whose outcome was hinted in earlier books or chapters, and examine the methods used to indicate what would happen later. Was the event in Book 8 ultimately a surprise to you?
Essay Topic 2
The fate of England's currency is a major subject throughout the narrative: why does counterfeiting pose such a threat of unbalancing national stability? Be sure to explain Sir Isaac's role and effect in regard to England's economy.
Essay Topic 3
Solomon declares that he knows of only two alchemists in the world. What events in the book focus on, or are colored by aspects of alchemy? How does Daniel's involvement with alchemy help or hinder him in any situations?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)