|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sir Isaac tell White has accused him of high treason?
2. What is Daniel careful NOT to show signs of?
3. How does White challenge Dappa?
4. What has Dappa selected for the duel with White?
5. How does Jack reward the people who have congregated in his honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daniel win Jack's loyalty in Chapter 13?
2. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
3. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
4. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
5. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
6. What unusual occurrences has Jack experienced, and what is mysterious about them?
7. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
8. What does Daniel decide to tell Eliza about in his letter?
9. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
10. Though torture is a punishment, does Jack gain anything positive from the experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Daniel and Sir Isaac's time, patenting laws and intellectual property rights did not exist to protect inventors and natural philosophers. What problems do the characters run into with the threat of someone stealing their ideas, and how do they protect themselves? How do you think these disputes would be settled if they occurred today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify a point in the book where one of the characters makes a significant 'mistake'. Analyze the sequence of events involving the mistake and determine when the mistake could have been prevented from happening, or fixed while happening. How would the story change if the mistake had never been made?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways Stephenson gives Jack the coinier consistent character and voice throughout the book and compare this with Partry's existence in the book. Were there clues to Partry's identity, or is his revelation a complete shock to the reader?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)