|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the King name First Lord of the Treasury?
2. What does Jack believe he's found under the stress of torture?
3. What does Threader do with the first sample from the Pyx before the goldsmiths begin their analysis?
4. How are the standard plates and sheets of the finest precious metals going to be used?
5. What is marked on the buttons of Jack's suit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Daniel's conflicting thoughts about sacking Sir Isaac as master of the mint?
2. What is White's offer to Jack, and how does Jack respond?
3. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
4. Why does Bob Shaftoe mention his brother as though Jack is still alive?
5. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
6. What happens to Jack, according to the Epilogs?
7. How does Daniel win Jack's loyalty in Chapter 13?
8. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
9. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
10. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters from the book who are accused of treason and analyze why they were accused. Do you think the characters' actions warranted the punishment (if any) that they received?
Essay Topic 2
The Whigs and the Tories are the two biggest political parties in England at the time of the novel. Daniel tries to remain neutral in regard to politics, but how are his actions affected by the politics of those around him? Compare and contrast the two parties, using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways Stephenson gives Jack the coinier consistent character and voice throughout the book and compare this with Partry's existence in the book. Were there clues to Partry's identity, or is his revelation a complete shock to the reader?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)