|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Threader do with the first sample from the Pyx before the goldsmiths begin their analysis?
2. What is marked on the buttons of Jack's suit?
3. What does Johann beg Leibniz NOT to continue?
4. What has Dappa selected for the duel with White?
5. Who tells Daniel that many men aboard the Minerva perceive him as bad luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
2. How is Sir Isaac's death hidden from the officials?
3. What unusual occurrences has Jack experienced, and what is mysterious about them?
4. Why does the exchange between Jack and his visitor sicken Daniel?
5. 'Translate' two of Jack Ketch and Jack Shaftoe's riddles to each other, as they speak to confuse onlookers and listeners.
6. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
7. What is the procedure for testing the gold guinea samples?
8. What is the significance of the cheering public throwing coins at Jack in his cell?
9. What does Daniel decide to tell Eliza about in his letter?
10. How has Sir Isaac made many enemies for himself, according to Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fate of England's currency is a major subject throughout the narrative: why does counterfeiting pose such a threat of unbalancing national stability? Be sure to explain Sir Isaac's role and effect in regard to England's economy.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how the characters' lives are different in the Epilogs from earlier. Identify any questions the Epilogs answered, as well any new questions a reader might have after reading.
Essay Topic 3
Many narratives foreshadow the conclusion of the story through subtle hints or blatant clues. Select an event in Book 8 whose outcome was hinted in earlier books or chapters, and examine the methods used to indicate what would happen later. Was the event in Book 8 ultimately a surprise to you?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)