|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Earl of Lostwihiel's deputy?
2. What is Leibniz afraid will happen before he finishes his project?
3. White is arrested upon whose authority?
4. What has Dappa selected for the duel with White?
5. What does Colonel Barnes say has happened after Jack was hung?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
2. Why does Bob Shaftoe mention his brother as though Jack is still alive?
3. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
4. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
5. How does Daniel feel about what happens to Ravenscar in Chapter 9, and what must he now handle by himself?
6. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
7. How has Sir Isaac made many enemies for himself, according to Chapter 33?
8. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
9. Though torture is a punishment, does Jack gain anything positive from the experience?
10. What is the procedure for testing the gold guinea samples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Whigs and the Tories are the two biggest political parties in England at the time of the novel. Daniel tries to remain neutral in regard to politics, but how are his actions affected by the politics of those around him? Compare and contrast the two parties, using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel generates interest and investors for inventions throughout the book. Examine how good of a 'salesman' he is by citing specific examples from the text. How could he do better and be more convincing?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the threats coming from lands beyond England with the threats coming from within the country itself. Which are more severe? Explain using examples.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)