|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other parishioners do to Jack?
2. Where does Sir Isaac instruct Catherine Barton to take him, whether he is alive or dead?
3. Where does Jack tell the public he is going in the morning to hang?
4. Who owns the property being used to process phosphorous?
5. What gives Daniel power over Sir Isaac in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
2. What are the negative aspects and results of the coronation of the king?
3. How does Daniel feel about what happens to Ravenscar in Chapter 9, and what must he now handle by himself?
4. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
5. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
6. What is the significance of the cheering public throwing coins at Jack in his cell?
7. What is White's offer to Jack, and how does Jack respond?
8. How has Sir Isaac made many enemies for himself, according to Chapter 33?
9. How has Dappa turned the tables on White by this point in the story?
10. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters from the book who are accused of treason and analyze why they were accused. Do you think the characters' actions warranted the punishment (if any) that they received?
Essay Topic 2
The Whigs and the Tories are the two biggest political parties in England at the time of the novel. Daniel tries to remain neutral in regard to politics, but how are his actions affected by the politics of those around him? Compare and contrast the two parties, using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the threats coming from lands beyond England with the threats coming from within the country itself. Which are more severe? Explain using examples.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)