Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sir Isaac have Arlanc sent?
2. Who does Eliza want put to death for betraying the country?
3. Who is disguised as a man with syphilis at Crane Court?
4. What serves as a decoy to distract the tower guards?
5. Traces of what unusual substance are found at the shipyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different motives of Ravenscar and Bolingbroke at the dinner party? Who ends up triumphant at the end of the evening, and why?
2. How do Sir Isaac and Daniel respond to Partry's confession?
3. Based on Sir Isaac and Daniel's debate about the Russians and the French, who do you think is more likely to be responsible for sabotage?
4. What are some striking examples of how Daniel's world operates under different rules and thinking than life today?
5. Compare and contrast Princess Caroline to her grandmother, Sophie.
6. In what ways has Sir Isacc been put at a disadvantage in obtaining proof?
7. Does Sir Isaac approve or disapprove of the Earl of Lostwihiel and Colonel Barnes' new garrison of troops?
8. How does Daniel feel towards Dappa throughout their meeting in Chapter 13?
9. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
10. What is White's offer to Jack, and how does Jack respond?
Essay Topic 1
Cite examples where a character from the book reminisces about his or her life and then uses that reflection to motivate a future action, or modify their current opinions / attitude. What prompted the character to think about his or her past, and did the reminiscing have a positive effect?
Essay Topic 2
Identify a point in the book where one of the characters makes a significant 'mistake'. Analyze the sequence of events involving the mistake and determine when the mistake could have been prevented from happening, or fixed while happening. How would the story change if the mistake had never been made?
Essay Topic 3
In Daniel and Sir Isaac's time, patenting laws and intellectual property rights did not exist to protect inventors and natural philosophers. What problems do the characters run into with the threat of someone stealing their ideas, and how do they protect themselves? How do you think these disputes would be settled if they occurred today?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)