|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lt. Throwley, the Yeoman guard from the Tower of London?
2. What does Daniel advise against Roger using?
3. Where does Daniel meet Princess Caroline?
4. Who does the Queen name as her successor?
5. Who does Daniel believe was the intended victim of the incident in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Princess Caroline to her grandmother, Sophie.
2. Who is John Doe and how do his actions affect Daniel?
3. What does the assassination attempt make Caroline realize about herself and the state of England?
4. What does Daniel deduce as Jack's motivation for his conduct, and why is Eliza unimpressed with Daniel's deduction?
5. What sequence of events pushes the Clubb closer to capturing Jack?
6. What does Johann think of Caroline, and what actions support this?
7. Detail some of the characters' actions and thinking in Book 6, Chapters 21-24 that leads them to make a mistake.
8. How does each member of the Clubb contribute to solve the problem of figuring out who is responsible for the explosions?
9. What does Eliza try to do at the Opera House? Does she succeed? What does she learn?
10. For what underlying reasons has a bounty been placed on Dappa's head, and how does Dappa respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many narratives foreshadow the conclusion of the story through subtle hints or blatant clues. Select an event in Book 8 whose outcome was hinted in earlier books or chapters, and examine the methods used to indicate what would happen later. Was the event in Book 8 ultimately a surprise to you?
Essay Topic 2
Solomon declares that he knows of only two alchemists in the world. What events in the book focus on, or are colored by aspects of alchemy? How does Daniel's involvement with alchemy help or hinder him in any situations?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways Stephenson gives Jack the coinier consistent character and voice throughout the book and compare this with Partry's existence in the book. Were there clues to Partry's identity, or is his revelation a complete shock to the reader?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)