|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Bayne's country of origin?
2. How does Caroline respond to the English naval brig?
3. What does Eliza advise Dappa about?
4. Where does Sir Isaac have Arlanc sent?
5. How do Bolingbroke and Ravenscar find out that Caroline is in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sir Isaac, Daniel, and Colonel Barnes think they are in danger in Chapter 27?
2. How does each member of the Clubb contribute to solve the problem of figuring out who is responsible for the explosions?
3. How does the attempt on the characters' lives emphasize the other elements of the plot at this point in the book?
4. What does Johann think of Caroline, and what actions support this?
5. How do Sir Isaac and Daniel respond to Partry's confession?
6. What does Ravenscar declare to the mob, and what does Daniel think of this?
7. What is the main dispute between Leibniz and Sir Isaac, and what part does Daniel play in all of it?
8. How does Daniel attempt to gain additional financial support for his research and inventions, and is he successful?
9. Who is John Doe and how do his actions affect Daniel?
10. How do Eliza and Caroline confirm their suspicions that a spy is amongst them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, people and objects are continually being disguised. Examine three examples from the book where a disguise is used. Determine whether the disguise is successful, and how/why it is or is not.
Essay Topic 2
Daniel is instrumental in the reconcilement between Leibniz and Sir Isaac. Compare and contrast Daniel's role in relation to each man. Analyze how key events of the book would have been different if Leibniz and Sir Isaac had reconciled earlier on.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel deduces that Jack's actions are motivated by his love for Eliza. Can love really explain Jack's actions? What other motivations might have influenced his behavior? Use events from the book to illustrate.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)