|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Bolingbroke and Ravenscar find out that Caroline is in London?
2. What object is concealed and transported to the Tower of London?
3. What is the subject of the main feud between Newton and Leibniz?
4. Who does Daniel believe was the intended victim of the incident in Chapter 4?
5. What does De Gex threaten to do to Eliza?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the English economy and coinage, according to Sir Isaac Newton, when Daniel comes to visit him?
2. What does the assassination attempt make Caroline realize about herself and the state of England?
3. Analyze the reasons different characters are paired up in this section of the book.
4. For what underlying reasons has a bounty been placed on Dappa's head, and how does Dappa respond to this?
5. What sequence of events pushes the Clubb closer to capturing Jack?
6. What does Daniel deduce as Jack's motivation for his conduct, and why is Eliza unimpressed with Daniel's deduction?
7. Daniel must dispel certain thoughts both about himself and Sir Isaac; why is it not beneficial for him to be perceived as a Jacobite?
8. How do Eliza and Caroline confirm their suspicions that a spy is amongst them?
9. Based on Sir Isaac and Daniel's debate about the Russians and the French, who do you think is more likely to be responsible for sabotage?
10. How do Sir Isaac and Daniel respond to Partry's confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each new member of the Clubb introduces a new mission and/or skill. Compare and contrast the Clubb at its first meeting to its subsequent gatherings in the book and evaluate how effective the Clubb is as a whole with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the threats coming from lands beyond England with the threats coming from within the country itself. Which are more severe? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel generates interest and investors for inventions throughout the book. Examine how good of a 'salesman' he is by citing specific examples from the text. How could he do better and be more convincing?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)