|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack team up with to devalue the English currency?
2. What does Caroline believe she has been foolish in doing?
3. What is Bob Shaftoe doing when Daniel visits him?
4. What happens when Daniel returns to Bedlam?
5. Who is Solomon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some striking examples of how Daniel's world operates under different rules and thinking than life today?
2. Compare and contrast Princess Caroline to her grandmother, Sophie.
3. What happens to Henry Arlanc, and why is this not a complete letdown to Daniel and Sir Isaac?
4. How do Eliza and Caroline confirm their suspicions that a spy is amongst them?
5. Why does Dappa willingly allow himself to be apprehended?
6. What political issues are burdening England when Daniel arrives in London?
7. What sequence of events pushes the Clubb closer to capturing Jack?
8. How does the attempt on the characters' lives emphasize the other elements of the plot at this point in the book?
9. What does the assassination attempt make Caroline realize about herself and the state of England?
10. What does Daniel deduce as Jack's motivation for his conduct, and why is Eliza unimpressed with Daniel's deduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a point in the book where one of the characters makes a significant 'mistake'. Analyze the sequence of events involving the mistake and determine when the mistake could have been prevented from happening, or fixed while happening. How would the story change if the mistake had never been made?
Essay Topic 2
Each new member of the Clubb introduces a new mission and/or skill. Compare and contrast the Clubb at its first meeting to its subsequent gatherings in the book and evaluate how effective the Clubb is as a whole with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Daniel and Sir Isaac debate about the threat of the Russians versus the French. Discuss whose argument you think is more convincing or probable, and why? How could the other argument have been more convincing?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)