|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the commanding officer of the English regiment?
2. What happens to Lt. Throwley, the Yeoman guard from the Tower of London?
3. What does Daniel advise against Roger using?
4. What is Mr. Bayne's country of origin?
5. Traces of what unusual substance are found at the shipyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political issues are burdening England when Daniel arrives in London?
2. Based on Sir Isaac and Daniel's debate about the Russians and the French, who do you think is more likely to be responsible for sabotage?
3. How does the attempt on the characters' lives emphasize the other elements of the plot at this point in the book?
4. What does Eliza try to do at the Opera House? Does she succeed? What does she learn?
5. For what underlying reasons has a bounty been placed on Dappa's head, and how does Dappa respond to this?
6. How do Sir Isaac and Daniel respond to Partry's confession?
7. Why does Dappa willingly allow himself to be apprehended?
8. Compare and contrast Princess Caroline to her grandmother, Sophie.
9. How do Eliza and Caroline confirm their suspicions that a spy is amongst them?
10. What does Ravenscar declare to the mob, and what does Daniel think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each new member of the Clubb introduces a new mission and/or skill. Compare and contrast the Clubb at its first meeting to its subsequent gatherings in the book and evaluate how effective the Clubb is as a whole with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how the characters' lives are different in the Epilogs from earlier. Identify any questions the Epilogs answered, as well any new questions a reader might have after reading.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ways Stephenson gives Jack the coinier consistent character and voice throughout the book and compare this with Partry's existence in the book. Were there clues to Partry's identity, or is his revelation a complete shock to the reader?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)