|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Otto Van Hoek?
2. What motivates George Louis' arrival?
3. What does Eliza advise Dappa about?
4. What does McIan receive from Jack before he enters the English mint?
5. What are the financial investors backing Thomas' newest invention known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does each member of the Clubb contribute to solve the problem of figuring out who is responsible for the explosions?
2. Why does Dappa willingly allow himself to be apprehended?
3. What does Daniel notice about how Peter the Great affects other people?
4. How does Daniel attempt to gain additional financial support for his research and inventions, and is he successful?
5. Detail some of the characters' actions and thinking in Book 6, Chapters 21-24 that leads them to make a mistake.
6. What sequence of events pushes the Clubb closer to capturing Jack?
7. Analyze the reasons different characters are paired up in this section of the book.
8. Compare and contrast Princess Caroline to her grandmother, Sophie.
9. What is the state of the English economy and coinage, according to Sir Isaac Newton, when Daniel comes to visit him?
10. How do Sir Isaac and Daniel respond to Partry's confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dappa is a negro author and shipmate of the Minerva. Explain how Dappa's character serves as a role reversal from a typical 'escaped slave' narrative, noting specific examples of how he interacts with other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the book who are accused of treason and analyze why they were accused. Do you think the characters' actions warranted the punishment (if any) that they received?
Essay Topic 3
In Daniel and Sir Isaac's time, patenting laws and intellectual property rights did not exist to protect inventors and natural philosophers. What problems do the characters run into with the threat of someone stealing their ideas, and how do they protect themselves? How do you think these disputes would be settled if they occurred today?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)