|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sir Isaac have Arlanc sent?
2. What is Bob Shaftoe doing when Daniel visits him?
3. What does Jack get out of the ordeal with the Tower?
4. What has Jack forgotten about, according to Partry?
5. Who does the Queen's Army arrest and escort to the tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johann think of Caroline, and what actions support this?
2. Who is John Doe and how do his actions affect Daniel?
3. Describe the elaborate plan and series of events that Jack Shaftoe and Edouard De Gex put into motion in Chapter 20.
4. What does Eliza try to do at the Opera House? Does she succeed? What does she learn?
5. What does the assassination attempt make Caroline realize about herself and the state of England?
6. Why do Sir Isaac, Daniel, and Colonel Barnes think they are in danger in Chapter 27?
7. How does the attempt on the characters' lives emphasize the other elements of the plot at this point in the book?
8. What are the different motives of Ravenscar and Bolingbroke at the dinner party? Who ends up triumphant at the end of the evening, and why?
9. What does Daniel deduce as Jack's motivation for his conduct, and why is Eliza unimpressed with Daniel's deduction?
10. What sequence of events pushes the Clubb closer to capturing Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fate of England's currency is a major subject throughout the narrative: why does counterfeiting pose such a threat of unbalancing national stability? Be sure to explain Sir Isaac's role and effect in regard to England's economy.
Essay Topic 2
Identify a point in the book where one of the characters makes a significant 'mistake'. Analyze the sequence of events involving the mistake and determine when the mistake could have been prevented from happening, or fixed while happening. How would the story change if the mistake had never been made?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel deduces that Jack's actions are motivated by his love for Eliza. Can love really explain Jack's actions? What other motivations might have influenced his behavior? Use events from the book to illustrate.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)