|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Daniel power over Sir Isaac in Chapter 24?
(a) Knowing the whereabouts of White.
(b) Knowing the whereabouts of the Solomonic gold.
(c) Knowing the whereabouts of Dappa.
(d) Knowing the whereabouts of the steam engine.
2. What happens after Sir Isaac and Leibniz bid each other farewell?
(a) They both sail away on an English ship.
(b) Leibniz sails away on a Russian ship.
(c) Leibniz sails away on an English ship.
(d) Sir Isaac sails away on a French ship.
3. What does Jack believe he's found under the stress of torture?
4. How does White challenge Dappa?
(a) With a duel.
(b) With a writing contest.
(c) With an insult.
(d) With torture.
5. Who are Jimmy and Danny?
(a) Marsh's sons.
(b) Daniel's nephews.
(c) Bob Shaftoe's nephews.
(d) Sir Isaac's brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the melted gold before it is weighed to test its quality?
2. The Clubb believes finding what person will conclude the infernal device investigation?
3. What is Jack wearing when he arrives at the hanging platform?
4. Why is the magistrate in a foul mood about the King's coronation?
5. What is the tap room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
2. How has Sir Isaac made many enemies for himself, according to Chapter 33?
3. Describe Sir Isaac's illness.
4. What evidence does the Clubb find to expose Bolingbroke and White as counterfeiters?
5. Describe the security measures at Westminster Abbey and what they are protecting.
6. What is the significance of the cheering public throwing coins at Jack in his cell?
7. What are Daniel's conflicting thoughts about sacking Sir Isaac as master of the mint?
8. How does Daniel feel about what happens to Ravenscar in Chapter 9, and what must he now handle by himself?
9. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
10. 'Translate' two of Jack Ketch and Jack Shaftoe's riddles to each other, as they speak to confuse onlookers and listeners.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)