|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sir Isaac have Jack tortured?
(a) He is stretched on a rack.
(b) He is placed under a weight.
(c) He is burned with coals.
(d) He is shocked repeatedly.
2. Where does Sir Isaac instruct Catherine Barton to take him, whether he is alive or dead?
(a) Jack Shaftoe's hanging.
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) The trial of the Pyx.
(d) The Kit-Cat Clubb.
3. What gives Daniel power over Sir Isaac in Chapter 24?
(a) Knowing the whereabouts of the Solomonic gold.
(b) Knowing the whereabouts of White.
(c) Knowing the whereabouts of Dappa.
(d) Knowing the whereabouts of the steam engine.
4. How is becoming a member of the Clubb different for Leibniz than for other members?
(a) He does not have to pay dues.
(b) He does not get inducted.
(c) He is elected to membership.
(d) He has to pay to be a member.
5. What is Daniel careful NOT to show signs of?
(a) Fatigue or stress.
(b) Hope or optimism.
(c) Love or adoration.
(d) Anger or violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jack moved to in the prison?
2. What has Dappa selected for the duel with White?
3. How are the standard plates and sheets of the finest precious metals going to be used?
4. Where does Daniel take the Shaftoe boys before he puts them aboard a boat for Carolina?
5. What are Haubites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
2. What are Daniel's conflicting thoughts about sacking Sir Isaac as master of the mint?
3. What is different about the last moments Sir Isaac and Leibniz spend with each other?
4. Though torture is a punishment, does Jack gain anything positive from the experience?
5. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
6. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
7. What is Sir Isaac's plan to discover the location of the manufactured phosphorus?
8. Describe Sir Isaac's illness.
9. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
10. How does Daniel win Jack's loyalty in Chapter 13?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)