|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the gold guinea samples are melted?
(a) The base metal and pure gold separate.
(b) The base metal and pure gold change colors.
(c) The base metal and pure gold fuse together.
(d) The base metal and pure gold catch on fire.
2. What does Ravenscar announce he is doing as a regent?
(a) Challenging the Hanoverian succession.
(b) Calling for a trial of the Pyx.
(c) Firing Sir Isaac as master of the mint.
(d) Searching for the phosphorus maker.
3. What do Daniel and Threader cast a new gold guinea out of?
(a) Sir Isaac's gold buttons.
(b) Daniel's gold buttons.
(c) Threader's gold ring.
(d) Daniel's gold ring.
4. What does the executioner place over Jack's head?
(a) A crown of thorns.
(b) A black hood.
(c) A white hood.
(d) A crown of gold.
5. Who does Daniel decide to write to at the end?
(a) Sir Isaac.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack wearing when he arrives at the hanging platform?
2. White is arrested upon whose authority?
3. What has Dappa become while imprisoned?
4. Why does Sir Isaac no longer have the proof he needs?
5. What is the name of Danny and Jimmy's friend in Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel decide to tell Eliza about in his letter?
2. How has Dappa turned the tables on White by this point in the story?
3. How much does the gold weigh, and what is the significance of that weight?
4. What is Sir Isaac's plan to discover the location of the manufactured phosphorus?
5. Why does Bob Shaftoe mention his brother as though Jack is still alive?
6. What is White's offer to Jack, and how does Jack respond?
7. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
8. How is Sir Isaac's death hidden from the officials?
9. What is the procedure for testing the gold guinea samples?
10. What is Catherine Barton's role during the trial?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)