|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the financial investors backing Thomas' newest invention known as?
(a) The financiers of the Engine for Raising Fire by Water.
(b) The inventors of the Engine for Raising Fire by Water.
(c) The curators of the Engine for Raising Water by Fire.
(d) The proprietors of the Engine for Raising Water by Fire.
2. Who is killed when the ticking chest is opened?
(a) No one.
(c) Sir Isaac.
(d) Colonel Barnes.
3. What proof does Roger provide to Bolingbroke indicating that Jack has been captured?
(a) A haubite.
(b) A pithina.
(c) A gold guinea.
(d) A telescope.
4. What is Partry's confession?
(a) That he is Jack Shaftoe.
(b) That he is Daniel's father.
(c) That he is Lord Gy.
(d) That he is Jack Ketch.
5. Who is Daniel surprised to see on board a Russian naval vessel with Peter the Great?
(b) Sir Isaac.
Short Answer Questions
1. Traces of what unusual substance are found at the shipyard?
2. What is Caroline doing while she reminisces about her life?
3. What does Dappa choose to do?
4. What happens to Threader's luggage wagon when he and Daniel arrive at the Royal Society?
5. Where are Colonel Barnes, Daniel, Sir Isaac and Charles White headed in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ravenscar declare to the mob, and what does Daniel think of this?
2. What is the main dispute between Leibniz and Sir Isaac, and what part does Daniel play in all of it?
3. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
4. How has Dappa turned the tables on White by this point in the story?
5. Why does the exchange between Jack and his visitor sicken Daniel?
6. What advantage did Dappa have in the duel, and why might White have also let him win?
7. What does Johann think of Caroline, and what actions support this?
8. Describe the elaborate plan and series of events that Jack Shaftoe and Edouard De Gex put into motion in Chapter 20.
9. What is Sir Isaac's plan to discover the location of the manufactured phosphorus?
10. Describe Sir Isaac's illness.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)