|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Solomon declare as the only two alchemists in the world?
(a) Daniel and Sir Isaac.
(b) Sir Isaac and Leibniz.
(c) Enoch and Daniel.
(d) Enoch and Sir Isaac.
2. Who rescues Jack and Eliza?
(a) Sir Isaac.
(c) Bob Shaftoe.
(d) Lord Ravenscar.
3. What is Bob Shaftoe doing when Daniel visits him?
(a) Breaking into a vault.
(b) Extracting brain juice from dead bodies.
(c) Counting out stacks of money.
(d) Categorizing insects by color.
4. What is Mr. Bayne's country of origin?
5. What is Caroline doing while she reminisces about her life?
(a) Riding a horse.
(b) Brushing her hair.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Picking flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What serves as a decoy to distract the tower guards?
2. What does Jack get out of the ordeal with the Tower?
3. Who is Solomon?
4. What are the financial investors backing Thomas' newest invention known as?
5. How do Bolingbroke and Ravenscar find out that Caroline is in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Thomas' invention works and how it would benefit the populace.
2. What does Jack question most about his life? What was the decision that might have led to a different life for him?
3. Why is William Ham willing to assist Daniel and Saturn smuggle the Solomonic gold?
4. Detail some of the characters' actions and thinking in Book 6, Chapters 21-24 that leads them to make a mistake.
5. For what underlying reasons has a bounty been placed on Dappa's head, and how does Dappa respond to this?
6. What does Daniel deduce as Jack's motivation for his conduct, and why is Eliza unimpressed with Daniel's deduction?
7. What is Sir Isaac's plan to discover the location of the manufactured phosphorus?
8. Why does Jack throw his gold buttons, coins and clothing out into the crowd?
9. Describe the security measures at Westminster Abbey and what they are protecting.
10. What does Eliza try to do at the Opera House? Does she succeed? What does she learn?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)