|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characters are attacked by would-be assassins in Hanover?
(a) Eliza and Dappa.
(b) Daniel and Sir Isaac.
(c) Caroline and Eliza.
(d) Jack and De Gex.
2. Who is killed when the ticking chest is opened?
(a) Colonel Barnes.
(b) No one.
(c) Sir Isaac.
3. What is Bob Shaftoe doing when Daniel visits him?
(a) Categorizing insects by color.
(b) Extracting brain juice from dead bodies.
(c) Counting out stacks of money.
(d) Breaking into a vault.
4. What is distinctive about the heavy box Sir Isaac and Daniel find below deck?
(a) It hums.
(b) It smells.
(c) It disappears.
(d) It ticks.
5. Who is disguised as a man with syphilis at Crane Court?
(c) Sir Isaac.
(d) Mr. Bayne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Princess Caroline disguise herself as to ride toward London?
2. What is NOT something Henry Arlanc confesses to stealing?
3. How do Bolingbroke and Ravenscar find out that Caroline is in London?
4. Who is Otto Van Hoek?
5. Who does Daniel meet upon his arrival to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the attempt on the characters' lives emphasize the other elements of the plot at this point in the book?
2. What are the different motives of Ravenscar and Bolingbroke at the dinner party? Who ends up triumphant at the end of the evening, and why?
3. Describe how Thomas' invention works and how it would benefit the populace.
4. Detail some of the characters' actions and thinking in Book 6, Chapters 21-24 that leads them to make a mistake.
5. Describe the elaborate plan and series of events that Jack Shaftoe and Edouard De Gex put into motion in Chapter 20.
6. Based on Sir Isaac and Daniel's debate about the Russians and the French, who do you think is more likely to be responsible for sabotage?
7. For what underlying reasons has a bounty been placed on Dappa's head, and how does Dappa respond to this?
8. How do Eliza and Caroline confirm their suspicions that a spy is amongst them?
9. What does Johann think of Caroline, and what actions support this?
10. How does Daniel attempt to gain additional financial support for his research and inventions, and is he successful?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)