|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the old black guards relieved of their duties?
(a) They were under the command of Russia.
(b) They were under the command of Edouard De Gex.
(c) They were under the command of White.
(d) They were under the command of Jack Shaftoe.
2. What is to happen to Jack after he is hung by the neck?
(a) His body will be thrown in the River Thames.
(b) He will be pressed under a 300-pound weight.
(c) He will be drawn and quartered until he dies.
(d) He will be pardoned by the House of Lords.
3. Who tells Daniel that many men aboard the Minerva perceive him as bad luck?
(c) Otto Van Hoek.
(d) Sir Isaac.
4. What do the officials announce about Sir Isaac's coins?
(a) That they are counterfeit.
(b) That they are of the worst quality.
(c) That they are of the finest quality.
(d) That they are still being investigated.
5. What signifies that the gold is pure?
(a) Its weight of 12 ounces.
(b) Its weight of 10 ounces.
(c) Its molten texture.
(d) Its molten color.
6. What name does Jack note at the reading of his last rights?
7. What do Daniel and Threader cast a new gold guinea out of?
(a) Sir Isaac's gold buttons.
(b) Daniel's gold buttons.
(c) Threader's gold ring.
(d) Daniel's gold ring.
8. What is Leibniz afraid will happen before he finishes his project?
(a) That he will die.
(b) That he will go to prison.
(c) That Peter the Great will take credit for it.
(d) That he will make a mistake.
9. Who does the King name First Lord of the Treasury?
(c) Sir Isaac.
10. What does the executioner no longer feel obligated to do?
(a) Ensure that Jack gets drawn and quartered.
(b) Ensure that Jack is dead.
(c) Ensure that Jack has found God.
(d) Ensure that Jack's death is swift.
11. What does White spread rumors about?
(a) Jack's involvement with a second mint.
(b) Sir Isaac's involvement with a second mint.
(c) Daniel's involvement with a second mint.
(d) Roger's involvement with a second mint.
12. Who is the Earl of Lostwihiel's deputy?
(b) Sir Isaac.
(c) Colonel Barnes.
13. What happens when the gold guinea samples are melted?
(a) The base metal and pure gold catch on fire.
(b) The base metal and pure gold separate.
(c) The base metal and pure gold fuse together.
(d) The base metal and pure gold change colors.
14. How does Jack reward the people who have congregated in his honor?
(a) He professes his love to them.
(b) He buys them food and wine.
(c) He says a prayer for them.
(d) He throws his possessions to them.
15. What gives Daniel power over Sir Isaac in Chapter 24?
(a) Knowing the whereabouts of Dappa.
(b) Knowing the whereabouts of the Solomonic gold.
(c) Knowing the whereabouts of White.
(d) Knowing the whereabouts of the steam engine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel give to Sir Isaac from within the veiled sedan chair?
2. In Sir Isaac's plan, where is the hidden man supposed to be?
3. What is inspected in case they have been made of gold and painted black?
4. Why is Jack led to a cart before he hangs?
5. Who does Catherine Barton say Sir Isaac needs to act as his voice?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)