|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gold smuggled to the shipping docks disguised as?
(a) Fresh fish for Sir Isaac.
(b) Salted fish for Leibniz.
(c) A box of coal.
(d) Natural philosophy tools.
2. Who does Catherine Barton say Sir Isaac needs to act as his voice?
3. What is significant about the trial date for the Pyx?
(a) It is the day that the king is to be crowned.
(b) It is the day that Jack Shaftoe is to be executed.
(c) It is the day that Daniel is to return home.
(d) It is the day that Princess Caroline is to be married.
4. What is NOT one of the tasks Daniel must do without Ravenscar?
(a) Execute Jack Shaftoe.
(b) Arrange the trial of the Pyx.
(c) Conclude work on the logic mill.
(d) Decide the fate of the Institute of Technological Arts.
5. What is inspected in case they have been made of gold and painted black?
(a) The portholes on the Minerva.
(b) The guns aboard the Minerva.
(c) The cannonballs on the Minerva.
(d) The anchors aboard the Minerva.
6. What does Daniel unexpectedly state in the prison?
(a) That he knows Saturn made the infernal devices.
(b) That he knows who was visiting Jack.
(c) That he knows Jack made the infernal devices.
(d) That he knows Sir Isaac made the infernal devices.
7. Who teams up with Daniel and Saturn to remove the Solomonic gold from the bank?
(b) Peter the Great.
(c) William Ham.
(d) Sir Isaac.
8. Where does Jack tell the public he is going in the morning to hang?
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) Shive Tor.
9. What does White promise Jack for accusing Sir Isaac of committing treason?
(a) Jack and his sons will become regents.
(b) Jack and his brother will be given money.
(c) Jack and his sons will be given money.
(d) Jack and his sons will be given freedom.
10. In Sir Isaac's plan, where is the hidden man supposed to be?
(a) In a bed in Sir Isaac's house.
(b) Behind a door in Marsh's house.
(c) In a sack on Marsh's cart.
(d) In a sack on Threader's cart.
11. Why is Jack led to a cart before he hangs?
(a) To parade him through the streets.
(b) To hold his possessions.
(c) To change his clothes.
(d) To drag him through the streets.
12. Who owns the property being used to process phosphorous?
(a) Sir Isaac.
(d) Jack Shaftoe.
13. What happens when the gold guinea samples are melted?
(a) The base metal and pure gold fuse together.
(b) The base metal and pure gold separate.
(c) The base metal and pure gold change colors.
(d) The base metal and pure gold catch on fire.
14. Where does Daniel take the Shaftoe boys before he puts them aboard a boat for Carolina?
(a) To see their uncle.
(b) To see their father.
(c) To see White.
(d) To see their mother.
15. Who are Jimmy and Danny?
(a) Marsh's sons.
(b) Daniel's nephews.
(c) Bob Shaftoe's nephews.
(d) Sir Isaac's brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Daniel that many men aboard the Minerva perceive him as bad luck?
2. What is to happen to Jack after he is hung by the neck?
3. What does Jack believe he's found under the stress of torture?
4. Why does Princess Caroline instruct Sir Isaac and Leibniz to reconcile their differences?
5. What happens to the melted gold before it is weighed to test its quality?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)