* Dr. Daniel Waterhouse returns to London at the request of Princess Caroline and meets Thomas Newcomen, a Dartmouth blacksmith and inventor, and Will Comstock, the Earl of Lostwihiel.
* While discussing political issues and the fate of tin and copper mining, Daniel becomes suspicious of Will's intentions and questions his allegiance.
* Will and Thomas persuade the doctor to accompany them on the way to London to a meeting concerning the fate of mining and the English currency.
* As Thomas, Will and Daniel travel across Dartmoor, Daniel considers how certain landscape structures and features were created, hinting at the philosophies of Leibniz.
* Thomas, Will and Daniel meet with 250 assembled men and Will explains that the tin and copper trades have diminished because of flooded mines.
* Will asks the assembled men to invest in Thomas' newest invention, as "the proprietors" of the Engine...
This section contains 4,627 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)