|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does the commissar give to the narrator in Chapter 23?
(a) Das Kapital.
(b) The Communist Manifesto.
(c) Asian Communism and the Oriental Mode of Destruction.
(d) Leave of Grass.
2. How many pages is the narrator's confession in Chapter 19?
3. How many "apostles" does the admiral say they have in the camp in Chapter 17?
4. What item are the members of the narrator's team given to wear over their hearts in Chapter 18?
(a) A metal shield.
(b) A picture of Chairman Mao.
(c) A picture of Jesus Christ.
(d) A picture of the Virgin Mary.
5. For how long do Bon and the narrator ride in the truck after leaving the prison in Chapter 23?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 6 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the commandant describe being held prisoner in Chapter 19?
2. What does the commissar offer the narrator to drink when he visits him for his last meeting in Chapter 23?
3. What word from Chapter 23 means seemingly absurd or self-contradictory?
4. What is the revue that Lana performs for in Chapter 14?
5. What does the narrator bring to Ms. Mori's house in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
2. What effects has the torture had on the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 22?
3. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
4. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
5. What is revealed in the jar on the commandant's desk? What does it symbolize?
6. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
7. How has the narrative style changed in Chapter 21? Why?
8. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
9. Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam for the General in Chapter 13?
10. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)