|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the commandant say the narrator is as opposed to a prisoner in Chapter 19?
(a) A visitor.
(b) A guard.
(c) A follower.
(d) A patient.
2. What does the commissar offer the narrator to drink when he visits him for his last meeting in Chapter 23?
3. How many "apostles" does the admiral say they have in the camp in Chapter 17?
4. What country has Vietnam invaded and seized in Chapter 23?
5. What phrase does the narrator describe as Ho Chi Minh's "empty suit" in Chapter 23?
(a) "Victory will win over the masses."
(b) "History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of their ends."
(c) "Nothing is more precious than independence and freedom."
(d) "It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of arms."
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does the narrator arrive at Sonny's apartment to kill him in Chapter 16?
2. What is the title of the newspaper article Sonny writes about the field maneuvers in Chapter 14?
3. What word from Chapter 23 means seemingly absurd or self-contradictory?
4. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
5. What book of Karl Marx's does the commandant cite in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the jar on the commandant's desk? What does it symbolize?
2. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
3. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
4. How does the admiral compare the plight of the troops to Jesus in Chapter 17?
5. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
6. What information does the narrator relate to Man in his letter in Chapter 13?
7. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
8. What conflict does the narrator recall with the General as he falls asleep in Chapter 17?
9. What is the commandant questioning the narrator about in the beginning of Chapter 19?
10. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)