|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 23 means seemingly absurd or self-contradictory?
2. What color do the narrator and his entourage wear as they cross the border in Chapter 18?
3. Where does the General say his men were surrounded when he was taken to a Communist prison camp in Chapter 16?
(a) Long Xuyên.
(b) Dien Bien Phu.
(c) Bà Rịa.
(d) Can Tho
4. What does Bon threaten the shoplifters with in Chapter 15?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A lasso.
(d) A baseball bat.
5. How did the narrator's father die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He was in a car accident.
(d) He drowned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the commandant describe being held prisoner in Chapter 19?
2. What does Sonny offer the narrator to drink at his apartment in Chapter 16?
3. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
4. What does the doctor tell the narrator to do with his confession in Chapter 23?
5. During what years was Ho Chi Minh president of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
2. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
3. What conflict does the narrator recall with the General as he falls asleep in Chapter 17?
4. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
5. What is revealed in the jar on the commandant's desk? What does it symbolize?
6. Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam for the General in Chapter 13?
7. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
8. How does the admiral compare the plight of the troops to Jesus in Chapter 17?
9. What is the question that the commissar says the narrator must answer in Chapter 20?
10. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)