|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The commandant tells the narrator in Chapter 19, "you are a communist only in name. In practice, you are" what?
(a) "A traitor."
(b) "A bourgeois intellectual."
(c) "A loathesome murderer."
(d) "A republican victor."
2. What does the commandant say the narrator is as opposed to a prisoner in Chapter 19?
(a) A guard.
(b) A visitor.
(c) A patient.
(d) A follower.
3. When was Ho Chi Minh born?
4. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
5. Where does Sonny say Abe is now in Chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
2. What kind of truck is waiting for Bon and the narrator when they leave the prison in Chapter 23?
3. What river does the narrator describe in the distance in Chapter 18?
4. Who leads the narrator's group on their journey across the border in Chapter 18?
5. The red banner in the commissar's office says "Nothing is more precious than" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the narrator relate to Man in his letter in Chapter 13?
2. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
3. What is the commandant questioning the narrator about in the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. What is the question that the commissar says the narrator must answer in Chapter 20?
5. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
6. What does the narrator confess to Sonny before killing him? Why?
7. How has the narrator's past year in the prison been described in Chapter 19?
8. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
9. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
10. What effects has the torture had on the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 22?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)