|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the narrator cite in having said "men will die for bits of ribbon pinned to their chests" in Chapter 13?
(a) Chairman Mao.
(b) Rudyard Kipling.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
2. For how long does Sonny say he's lived in the U.S. in Chapter 13?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 14 years.
3. What item are the members of the narrator's team given to wear over their hearts in Chapter 18?
(a) A picture of Jesus Christ.
(b) A picture of the Virgin Mary.
(c) A picture of Chairman Mao.
(d) A metal shield.
4. Where does the General say his men were surrounded when he was taken to a Communist prison camp in Chapter 16?
(a) Long Xuyên.
(b) Bà Rịa.
(c) Dien Bien Phu.
(d) Can Tho
5. The red banner in the commissar's office says "Nothing is more precious than" what?
(b) "Love and peace."
(c) "Independence and freedom."
(d) "Necessity and hope."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Bon change planes on their trip to Thailand in Chapter 17?
2. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
3. What does Sonny offer the narrator to drink at his apartment in Chapter 16?
4. For how long does the narrator say he lived in the north in Vietnam in Chapter 19?
5. When was Ho Chi Minh born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
2. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
3. What is the commandant questioning the narrator about in the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. What is revealed about the narrator's father's death in Chapter 22?
5. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
6. What conflict does the narrator recall with the General as he falls asleep in Chapter 17?
7. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
8. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
9. How does the admiral compare the plight of the troops to Jesus in Chapter 17?
10. What is significant about Ms. Mori's family photos being set out in Chapter 13?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)