|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
(a) "Your uncle was a great man."
(b) "The funeral is far away."
(c) "Your uncle was for the communists."
(d) "Where is your uncle's funeral?"
2. What word from Chapter 22 refers to the practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation?
3. What is the revue that Lana performs for in Chapter 14?
(c) The Bridge.
4. What does the commissar offer the narrator to drink when he visits him for his last meeting in Chapter 23?
5. Who greets the narrator and Bon when they arrive in Bangkok in Chapter 17?
(b) The General.
(d) The Auteur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gun does the narrator take to kill Sonny with in Chapter 16?
2. Where is the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 23?
3. For how long does the narrator say he lived in the north in Vietnam in Chapter 19?
4. What television show does the narrator watch with Lana in Chapter 16?
5. Where does the commissar say Bon and the narrator are going to contact Bon's cousin in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
2. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
3. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
4. What does the narrator confess to Sonny before killing him? Why?
5. How has the narrative style changed in Chapter 21? Why?
6. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
7. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
8. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
9. Where does Claude take the narrator and Bon once they arrive in Thailand in Chapter 17?
10. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)