|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets the narrator and Bon when they arrive in Bangkok in Chapter 17?
(a) The General.
(b) The Auteur.
2. How old was the narrator when he swore a blood oath as blood brothers with Bon?
3. Where did the narrator, Bon, and Man swear their blood oath?
(a) In a tamarind grove.
(b) In an elm grove.
(c) In a salich grove.
(d) In a rice paddy.
4. What does Sonny offer the narrator to drink at his apartment in Chapter 16?
5. What does the narrator describe the doctor, commandant, and the commissar wearing in Chapter 22?
(a) Red uniforms.
(b) Yellow uniforms.
(c) Black suits.
(d) White jackets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color do the narrator and his entourage wear as they cross the border in Chapter 18?
2. When was Ho Chi Minh born?
3. Where do the narrator and Bon go to see Lana sing in Chapter 14?
4. What does the doctor tell the narrator to do with his confession in Chapter 23?
5. Where is the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
2. What symbolism is revealed when Man waves at the narrator at the end of his reeducation?
3. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
4. What conflict takes place between the narrator and Sonny in Chapter 13?
5. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
6. How has the narrator's past year in the prison been described in Chapter 19?
7. What is revealed about the narrator's father's death in Chapter 22?
8. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
9. What is significant about Ms. Mori's family photos being set out in Chapter 13?
10. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)