|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the older Vietnamese brother in the Auteur's film?
2. What does the narrator claim to be guilty of in his confession in Chapter 5?
3. How many fingers does the narrator describe the General having lost in Chapter 1?
4. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
5. What does the narrator say his father called him in Chapter 2?
(a) "A prodigy."
(b) "His love child."
(c) "Nothing at all."
(d) "A bastard."
Short Answer Questions
1. What Founding Father does the narrator describe having said that an older mistress is a wonderful thing in Chapter 5?
2. Where does the Department Chair say he met his wife in Chapter 4?
3. Where does the narrator describe finally seeing the Auteur's film in Chapter 10?
4. What is the name of Bon's wife?
5. What is the name of the movie director's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's relationship to the General?
2. Who is Professor Hammer and what is his relationship to the narrator?
3. Who are the "Vietnamese" actors in The Hamlet with speaking roles and how are they described?
4. How is the theme of duality introduced in Chapter 1?
5. Where are the Vietnamese refugees taken after arriving in America in Chapter 4?
6. Who is Madame? How would you describe this character?
7. How is the Auteur's welcome party described in Chapter 10?
8. Who is Claude? How does the narrator know this character?
9. What information does the narrator learn from Man in Chapter 4? How does he receive this information?
10. What happens to Bon's family as they flee Vietnam in Chapter 3?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)