|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does Madame offer to the narrator when he visits in Chapter 8?
(a) Bún bò Huế.
(b) Spring rolls.
(c) Bahn mi.
2. What does the word "epicurean" mean in Chapter 1?
(a) A lover of sensual pleasures.
(b) A writer of poetry.
(c) A flower from northeast Asia.
(d) A type of lobster.
3. What author does the narrator say that Man had introduced him and Bon to in Chapter 1?
(a) Alexandre Dumas.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) Nikolay Chernyshevsky.
(d) Richard Hedd.
4. What kind of traditional dress does the narrator describe Lana having worn as a girl in Chapter 7?
(a) A zhongshan.
(b) A tangzhuang.
(c) An ao dai.
(d) A cheongsam.
5. How many fingers does the narrator describe the General having lost in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the film that the narrator is to advise about?
2. Who is the author of Asian Communism and the Oriental Mode of Destruction?
3. Who is the young student that the narrator describes discussing Mao with him and Man in Chapter 11?
4. On what day of the week does the General's store opening occur in Chapter 5?
5. What book is Asia Soo reading when the narrator approaches her by the pool in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the narrative style of The Sympathizer?
2. What are the narrator's criticisms of the script for The Hamlet?
3. Who is Professor Hammer and what is his relationship to the narrator?
4. Who are the "Vietnamese" actors in The Hamlet with speaking roles and how are they described?
5. What is the first business venture the General undertakes in the U.S.? Why?
6. How does the narrator become injured in Chapter 11?
7. How is the theme of sympathy explored in Chapter 12?
8. How is the theme of duality explored in Chapter 4?
9. How would you describe the narrator's relationships with his parents?
10. How does the narrator become involved in the production of the film The Hamlet?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)