|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hendel hit Stenmin with before he escapes?
2. What does Shea see for the first time in the Valley?
3. How does the Tyrsis army defend against what the Gnomes use to scale the bluffs?
4. What is used to beat down Shea after he touches the Sword of Shannara?
5. Where do the Trolls take Keltset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Menion feel that the plan to evacuate Kern must be kept quiet?
2. What does Creel say to calm Shea's fears of never finding Fane and the Sword?
3. Why did Palance place Balinor in prison when he arrived in Callahorn?
4. What does Keltset explain to his people through sign language?
5. What do Shea and Creel find when they get to Paranor?
6. What happens when a Skull Bearer lands with Creel at Paranor?
7. How does Keltset die?
8. What does Shea find when he wakes after escaping the crumbling Mountain Pass?
9. What happens when the trap door in Tyrsis is found?
10. Why is it so important that the Elf King is found and returned to his Kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)