|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Flick sent to deliver something to when he is disguised as a Gnome?
2. Who enters as Menion is about to rescue Balinor?
3. What happens when Hendel tries to get Balinor out of jail?
4. What kind of creature is Keltset?
5. What does Hendel hit Stenmin with before he escapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a Skull Bearer lands with Creel at Paranor?
2. What happens as Balinor begins to despair the fate of his men?
3. What is Hendel thinking about during the first day of battle?
4. What does Balinor find when he first gets to Tyrsis?
5. What do Shea and Creel find when they get to Paranor?
6. Why does Menion feel that the plan to evacuate Kern must be kept quiet?
7. What does Shirl suggest to Menion before they meet with Palance?
8. What does Keltset do when Rock Trolls surround the group at dusk?
9. What does Flick do when the Elf King loses strength, and what does this indicate?
10. How does Keltset die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Keltset die, and what did this reveal about his character? How did this death affect the characters who witnessed it?
Essay Topic 2
What was the true power of the Sword of Shannara, and how did this affect the different characters who came in contact with it?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)