|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creature was Bremen?
2. What does Flick say when he sees Menion is gone?
3. How long before this book began had the Border Legion been created?
4. What is the name of the lake reached shortly after Shea and Flick are healed?
5. What direction are most of the strange things in Shady Vale coming from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shea respond when he hears the bad new Allanor brings, and how does Allanon feel about this?
2. How are the travelers able to defeat the Marsh Wraith?
3. What does Shea remember about his childhood?
4. What gift did Allanor leave for Shea, and what is it to be used for?
5. Who does the stranger at the beginning of the book say he is, and how does Flick's family respond to this?
6. How do Flick and Shea both get injured for the first time?
7. What happens when the group gets to the Druid's Keep?
8. What is the history of the Sword of Shannara?
9. Why does Allanon say it is important for Shea to understand the history of the Sword of Shannara?
10. What helps the group maintain their will as they travel through the Hall of the Kings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What was the true power of the Sword of Shannara, and how did this affect the different characters who came in contact with it?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this plot all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)