|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, "We Explore Inland," why does the narrator tell Jack that he must come along on their expedition to explore the island for snakes?
(a) He says that Jack must stop being lazy.
(b) He needs Jack to show him where the swamp is.
(c) He needs Jack to set a good example for Ernest.
(d) He says that Jack must face what he fears.
2. In Chapter 17, "Bounty and Peril," what idea does Fritz have to pass time during the rainy season?
(a) He wants to learn to speak Malay.
(b) He wants to make more comfortable beds and chairs.
(c) He wants to learn to carve.
(d) He wants to make a kayak.
3. In Chapter 14, "A Casualty," what food do the boys persuade Elizabeth to cook and then find disgusting?
(a) Rhinoceros horn.
(b) Shark fin soup.
(c) Elephant ear.
(d) Whale tongue.
4. In Chapter 15, "We Explore Inland," what new creature does Franz discover and kill?
(a) A capybara.
(b) An armadillo.
(c) A platypus.
(d) A heron.
5. In Chapter 13, "Unpleasant Tasks," what new construction particularly pleases Elizabeth?
(a) A new roof for Falconhurst.
(b) An aqueduct to bring fresh water to Rock House.
(c) An indoor fireplace at Rock House.
(d) A separate shelter for the animals at Falconhurst.
6. In Chapter 16, "A Winged Steed," what creature becomes the family's "winged steed"?
(a) An ostrich.
(b) A cassowary.
(c) An emu.
(d) A condor.
7. In Chapter 16, "A Winged Steed," what clever idea do the boys come up with to make the antelope easier to hunt?
(a) They drive them through the Gap onto the family's side of the island.
(b) They drive the herd into a cave.
(c) They drive them into the ocean, where they are slowed down trying to swim.
(d) They drive the herd off of a cliff.
8. In Chapter 13, "Unpleasant Tasks," what does the narrator name the new donkey colt?
9. Chapter 12, "Anniversary," what talent does Franz unexpectedly display?
(a) His ability to climb trees.
(b) His ability to cook.
(c) His ability to train animals.
(d) His ability to swim.
10. In Chapter 18, "Repairs and Fortifications," what work is being done at home while the boys go off to the Gap?
(a) They are smoking boar meat.
(b) They are harvesting bamboo.
(c) They are repairing damage to the pinnace.
(d) They are building a sugar mill.
11. Chapter 12, "Anniversary," what creature does the family discover has nearly destroyed their farm?
12. In Chapter 17, "Bounty and Peril," what reason does the narrator give for allowing Fritz to travel ahead alone in the kayak?
(a) There is really no danger that Fritz is likely to run into.
(b) Fritz has proven that he can make good judgments on his own.
(c) Fritz is showing independence.
(d) There is not enough room on the pinnace for both Fritz and his boat.
13. In Chapter 15, "We Explore Inland," how does Jack react to the noises that Fritz and the narrator make inside the cave?
(a) He is frightened and bursts into tears.
(b) He thinks they are in danger and rushes inside.
(c) He runs away and gets lost in the swamp.
(d) He yells into the cave and then fires his gun.
14. Chapter 10, "Changing Seasons," what does the family find that will allow Elizabeth to make cloth?
(b) A spinning wheel.
(d) A loom.
15. In Chapter 10, "Changing Seasons," what animal makes a noise in the woods that terrifies the family?
(a) The donkey.
(b) A lion.
(c) The buffalo.
(d) A wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, "Changing Seasons," what does Ernest train Knips to do?
2. In Chapter 11, "Our Estates," what does the narrator teach the boys to make from birch trees?
3. In Chapter 12, "Anniversary," what plan does Elizabeth object to?
4. In Chapter 11, "Our Estates," what new outpost does the narrator propose?
5. What does the family build around the roots of the tree that supports Falconhurst?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)