|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ill omen occurs during the planning of the mission?
2. How long does it take to get the Minnie ready to sail?
3. How is the crew of the Ariel?
4. Who does Aubrey warn in a small boat?
5. Why is celestial navigation out of the question?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Ariel's Senior Lieutenant, Hyde.
2. What is the emergency to which Aubrey awakens?
3. Describe the guest Swedish officer, Jagiello, who is onboard the Ariel.
4. How does Lieutenant Grant slander Aubrey's name even further?
5. At what does Maturin hint when Aubrey expresses his desire to be at sea?
6. What does Aubrey give a technical discussion of and how does he replace the broken chronometer?
7. Why is Aubrey concerned when there is stormy weather?
8. What are a couple ill omens that Aubrey experiences that gives him the jitters?
9. Who does the Ariel encounter and what does Aubrey decide to do?
10. Describe the Grimsholm fortress.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this era in which THE SURGEON'S MATE is set, there are strongly-adhered-to class distinctions. Aubrey and Maturin are both gentlemen. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society? What evidence is there of those advantages and disadvantages in THE SURGEON'S MATE?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? (Some research may be required.)
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE SURGEON'S MATE.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE SURGEON'S MATE. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE SURGEON'S MATE. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
THE SURGEON'S MATE is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following.
1. What is a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)