|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey feel a few hours later?
(a) That they are missing something in their planning.
(b) Ill as if he were poisoned.
(c) He has a massive headache.
(d) A premonition of disaster.
2. Who is Hyde?
(a) Ariel's senior lieutenant.
(b) Ariel's stewart.
(c) Ariel's bosun chief.
(d) Ariel's second mate.
3. Who is Pelloworm?
(a) The sailor in the crow's nest who sights a French frigate.
(b) The Baltic pilot.
(c) Second in command of the Catalan troops.
(d) The bosun on one of the merchant vessels.
4. Where is the convoy of which the Ariel is part traveling at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The Canaberra Sea.
(b) The Straits of Gibralter.
(c) The Baltic straits.
(d) The Ionic Sea.
5. How does Blaine brief Maturin about the meeting with the commander of Grimsholm?
(a) He has Maturin read the intelligence Blaine has received.
(b) Blaine briefs Maturin rather extensively.
(c) Just a few observations.
(d) He does not brief Maturin at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ariel intervene in the chase?
2. Where is Ariel headed?
3. What does Maturin hint to Aubrey at Aubrey's home?
4. What does the Ariel do?
5. What do Ariel and her transports manage to weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chase scene when the Ariel goes after the Minnie.
2. What are a couple ill omens that Aubrey experiences that gives him the jitters?
3. What happens to several of the French officers aboard the Minnie?
4. What does Ariel do after leaving Grisholm?
5. What does Maturin suggest the Ariel do to convince the lookouts at Grimsholm that the Minnie is a friendly vessel?
6. How does the Ariel slow the Médusae down enough for the HMS Jason to catch the Médusae?
7. How does the Minnie complete her mission?
8. At what does Maturin hint when Aubrey expresses his desire to be at sea?
9. Briefly describe the Ariel, the ship of which Aubrey assumes command.
10. What happens after the Ariel sails through the narrow Baltic entrance?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)