|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Maturin and Jagiello do one foggy morning?
(a) Practice their swordplay.
(b) Practice hand-to-hand combat.
(c) Jump overboard to save someone who fell off the flying bridge.
(d) Go aloft.
2. Who is Hyde?
(a) Ariel's stewart.
(b) Ariel's bosun chief.
(c) Ariel's senior lieutenant.
(d) Ariel's second mate.
3. What is the Ariel?
(a) The fortress where Maturin will hold his meeting.
(b) The ship that Maturin captures as a pirate vessel.
(c) The ship Aubrey assumes command of.
(d) The ship that brings Amanda Smith to England.
4. Though Maturin's watch is less than desirable for navigating, what is it good for?
(a) Providing a ticking noise for going to sleep by.
(b) Nothing else.
(c) Knowing when to go to the mess for food.
(d) Taking a pulse.
5. Who is the HMS Jason chasing?
(a) French ship-of-war Marsailles.
(b) The French ship-of-war Médusae.
(c) The French ship-of-war Lafayette.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ariel headed?
2. Who is Pelloworm?
3. What does Maturin suggest?
4. What can prevent a ship from determining its longitude?
5. What does the fortress garrison decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pellworm; what does he predict and what is the first thing that happens that seem to prove his prediction to be true?
2. What does Maturin suggest the Ariel do to convince the lookouts at Grimsholm that the Minnie is a friendly vessel?
3. How does the Minnie complete her mission?
4. Why is Aubrey searching for a suitable ship to capture?
5. Briefly describe the Ariel, the ship of which Aubrey assumes command.
6. What is the result of the meeting between Maturin and his Godfather?
7. What does Ariel do after leaving Grisholm?
8. What transpires in the meeting between Sir Joseph Blaine and Maturin?
9. Describe the actions that lead to the wreck of the Ariel.
10. Why is Aubrey concerned when there is stormy weather?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)