|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the fortress garrison decide?
(a) To let Maturin go but to stay loyal to the French.
(b) To pretend friendship to lure the Ariel in close.
(c) To defect to the British cause.
(d) To hold Maturin hostage.
2. What disaster strikes the Ariel?
(a) The mizzenmast cracks.
(b) Its pinion rudder breaks.
(c) There is an explosion onboard.
(d) Its chronometer breaks.
3. How is Aubrey further slandered?
(a) Grant claims Aubrey did not sink Waakzaamheid, a Dutch ship-of-war, but a nondescript transport.
(b) Grant claims Aubrey collaborated with the Americans while in Boston.
(c) Amanda Smith shows up in England and confronts Aubrey's wife.
(d) Amanda Smith writes and claims she is pregnant by him.
4. How long does it take to get the Minnie ready to sail?
(a) Three days.
(b) Many hours.
(c) A week.
(d) An hour or two.
5. Where is Ariel headed?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) Cape Horn.
(c) The Baltic Sea.
(d) The Rock of Gibraltar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is celestial navigation out of the question?
2. What does Aubrey call the view from the crow's nest?
3. What does Maturin suggest?
4. Why does Hyde have to cut Jagiello's meat?
5. What does Maturin hint to Aubrey at Aubrey's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the meeting between Maturin and his Godfather?
2. Why is Hyde cutting Jagiello's meat and what happens at dinner one evening when Hyde does so?
3. What does Maturin suggest the Ariel do to convince the lookouts at Grimsholm that the Minnie is a friendly vessel?
4. Describe the guest Swedish officer, Jagiello, who is onboard the Ariel.
5. What is the emergency to which Aubrey awakens?
6. How does the Minnie complete her mission?
7. What transpires in the meeting between Sir Joseph Blaine and Maturin?
8. At what does Maturin hint when Aubrey expresses his desire to be at sea?
9. How does Lieutenant Grant slander Aubrey's name even further?
10. Who is Pellworm; what does he predict and what is the first thing that happens that seem to prove his prediction to be true?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)