|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Villiers' appearance at the ball?
(a) Subdued in greys because she feels ill.
(b) She is wearing black for the death of her husband.
(c) She is wearing a lovely gown but no jewelry.
2. Who does Aubrey find?
(a) Sophie and his children.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His lawyer.
(d) His business manager.
3. What has Aubrey become?
(c) Somewhat of a recluse.
(d) A local hero.
4. What surprises Captain Dalgliesh?
(a) That the two schooners fall behind so quickly.
(b) That the two American schooners are so persistently following them.
(c) That one of the schooners is not flying American colours.
(d) That the two schooners break off so quickly.
5. What does Maturin ask his fellow physicians?
(a) What medicine to give Villiers.
(b) If they will assume the teaching of his classes for a while.
(c) How to know if a woman loves you.
(d) How to diagnose early pregnancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mail that arrives confirm?
2. How does Smith find Aubrey to be?
3. Who gave Villiers the diamond necklace?
4. Who is Kimber?
5. What compels Aubrey to find Smith quite attractive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the encounter between Aubrey and several businessmen who call upon him?
2. Describe the meeting and interaction between Aubrey and Amanda Smith.
3. What depresses Aubrey amidst all the celebrations?
4. How does Maturin pass the time at the ball?
5. What did the British intelligence want Maturin to do and why do they no longer need him for the assignment?
6. Describe Stephen Maturin.
7. What is Villiers' reception like at the ball?
8. Describe Amanda Smith.
9. What is one of Villier's prized possessions and how does she come by it?
10. What battle did Aubrey recently participate in and what was the outcome?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)