|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Diligence?
(a) A merchant vessel of Canadian registry.
(b) A US vessel that is captured by the Shannon.
(c) The ship on which Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers sail to Enland.
(d) A fishing vessel of English registry.
2. What does the town do when the Shannon arrives?
(a) Erupts in a tumultuous celebration.
(b) Warns it off because the town is quarantined.
(c) Asks Aubrey if the war is really over.
(d) Nothing out of the ordinary.
3. What does Maturin realize about Villiers?
(a) That she is in ill health.
(b) That she does not love Maturin.
(c) That she loves Maturin.
(d) That she is pregnant.
4. In what recent battle does Aubrey participate as a combatant?
(a) The battle between the USS Chesapeake and HMS Shannon.
(b) The battle between the USS Constitution and the HMS Shannon.
(c) A battle in Washington between Johnson's spies and Maturin.
(d) Aubrey has not been in a battle recently.
5. How does Aubrey treat Smith?
(a) He is rude in hopes she will leave him be.
(b) He gives her misleading insinuations.
(c) He avoids her.
(d) He tells her the news of his wife's death was incorrect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin find irresistible about Villiers?
2. What does Maturin do with Villiers?
3. Why does Aubrey travel to London?
4. What ship are Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers aboard?
5. What news does Smith spread far and wide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers at the opening of THE SURGEON'S MATE?
2. How does Smith behave during this waiting period and what is Aubrey's response?
3. What is the first thing Aubrey does upon arriving back in England?
4. Why is Aubrey particularly unhappy ashore?
5. What is Villiers' reception like at the ball?
6. Where do Maturin and Villiers travel and what do they do?
7. Who pursues the Diligence and what is the outcome?
8. What does Villiers confide in Maturin and how does he respond?
9. How are the HMS Shannon's crew and passengers greeted in Halifax?
10. What battle did Aubrey recently participate in and what was the outcome?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)