|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Amanda Smith?
(a) Matruin's cousin who is there with her mother.
(b) A young woman asked to be Villiers's maid.
(c) A young woman who dotes on Aubrey.
(d) The daughter of the host at the ball.
2. For what is everyone waiting anxiously?
(a) For Captain Broke's wounds to heal.
(b) For the return of two packets with further orders for Aubrey and Maturin.
(c) The coming of the new ambassador from the United States.
(d) The coming of the new ambassador from Germany.
3. What is Harry Johnson's financial situation?
(a) His financial status is not mentioned.
(b) He is extremely wealthy.
(c) He is almost penniless having spent his fortune funding the revolutionary war.
(d) He is penniless but is hoping for an investment in a slaver vessel to turn that around.
4. What does Maturin advise Aubrey?
(a) To send his children to boarding school.
(b) To not fret over things he cannot control.
(c) To borrow money from his wealthy father-in-law.
(d) To take the second vessel carrying the recovering wounded.
5. What does Maturin ask Villiers?
(a) To keep quiet about his activities in America.
(b) To take a letter to a colleague in Brazil.
(c) To take a letter to a colleague in England.
(d) To marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do at the ball?
2. Who does Maturin learn has drowned?
3. What do Villiers and Maturin deduce about the pursuit by the two schooners?
4. What impresses Smith about Aubrey?
5. How does Smith find Aubrey to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting and interaction between Aubrey and Amanda Smith.
2. How does Smith behave during this waiting period and what is Aubrey's response?
3. What depresses Aubrey amidst all the celebrations?
4. How are the HMS Shannon's crew and passengers greeted in Halifax?
5. Where does the Diligence arrive and what is the atmosphere of the town?
6. What is Aubrey's homecoming like?
7. What is Villiers' reception like at the ball?
8. What did the British intelligence want Maturin to do and why do they no longer need him for the assignment?
9. Describe Stephen Maturin.
10. What is one of Villier's prized possessions and how does she come by it?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)