|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maturin's final speech fare?
(a) It is delivered in an uninspiring manner and loses the audience's attention.
(b) He does not deliver it as he is called back to England on an emergency.
(c) He cuts it to five minutes and only gives a bare outline of the material.
(d) It is a rousing success.
2. What is the Diligence?
(a) A US vessel that is captured by the Shannon.
(b) The ship on which Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers sail to Enland.
(c) A merchant vessel of Canadian registry.
(d) A fishing vessel of English registry.
3. What is notable about Harry Johnson?
(a) He is a civilian engaged in intelligence work on his own for the United States.
(b) He works for the underground railroad.
(c) He is distantly related to the King of England.
(d) He is a well-published author on warfare.
4. What does Maturin ask Villiers?
(a) To keep quiet about his activities in America.
(b) To marry him.
(c) To take a letter to a colleague in Brazil.
(d) To take a letter to a colleague in England.
5. What was Maturin doing in America recently?
(a) He was a nominal prisoner.
(b) He was spying.
(c) He was helping Aubrey escape.
(d) He was courting Villiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do men comment concerning Villiers?
2. What does Maturin advise Aubrey?
3. In what recent battle does Aubrey participate as a combatant?
4. What is the town celebrating?
5. What do Villiers and Maturin deduce about the pursuit by the two schooners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the encounter between Aubrey and several businessmen who call upon him?
2. Describe Jack Aubrey.
3. How are the HMS Shannon's crew and passengers greeted in Halifax?
4. What business does Maturin take care of while in Halifax?
5. Who pursues the Diligence and what is the outcome?
6. What is the situation with Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers at the opening of THE SURGEON'S MATE?
7. What is Maturin's interest in Villiers and why?
8. What is one of Villier's prized possessions and how does she come by it?
9. Describe Diana Villiers.
10. How does Maturin pass the time at the ball?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)