|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maturin feel about the reunion?
(c) Great joy.
2. What does the fortress garrison decide?
(a) To let Maturin go but to stay loyal to the French.
(b) To hold Maturin hostage.
(c) To pretend friendship to lure the Ariel in close.
(d) To defect to the British cause.
3. Why does Hyde have to cut Jagiello's meat?
(a) He is royalty and used to a valet.
(b) He breaks three fingers on his remaining hand.
(c) His dominant arm is missing.
(d) Jagiello cut his hand rather badly.
4. What does Pellworm predict as he is put ashore?
(a) More disasters.
(b) The weather to break.
(c) A sneak attack by the French.
(d) The weather to worsen.
5. What does Maturin think would happen to an unfamiliar warship approaching Grimsholm?
(a) It would be fired upon.
(b) It would arouse suspicians.
(c) It would put the Grimsholm soldiers on high alert.
(d) He is not sure what would happen.
6. Why would Aubrey pretend to chase the Minnie?
(a) To distract the men in Grisholm.
(b) To give his sailors some practice under hostile conditions.
(c) To enhance the impression that the Minnie is a friendly transport.
(d) So Maturin could look as though he is not with the English.
7. What is the approximate crew capacity of the Ariel?
(a) About 270-300.
(b) About 25-40.
(c) About 50-75.
(d) About 112-120 men.
8. What type of vessel does Aubrey wish to capture?
(a) Any that he can find since he can redo the markings.
(b) A merchant vessel of French registry.
(c) A slaver ship.
(d) A local traonsport of small vessel that Grimsholm knows.
9. What is the relationship between Maturin and the commander at Grimsholm?
(a) They both wanted to marry the same woman many years ago.
(b) They are brother-in-laws.
(c) The commander is Maturin's Catalan godfather.
(d) They both serve in the intelligence corps.
10. Where is the convoy of which the Ariel is part traveling at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The Canaberra Sea.
(b) The Baltic straits.
(c) The Straits of Gibralter.
(d) The Ionic Sea.
11. What do Maturin and Jagiello do one foggy morning?
(a) Jump overboard to save someone who fell off the flying bridge.
(b) Practice hand-to-hand combat.
(c) Go aloft.
(d) Practice their swordplay.
12. For what does Aubrey use Maturin's hack watch?
(a) To replace the compass.
(b) To replace the sextant.
(c) The count the wave cycles per minute.
(d) To replace the chronometer.
13. What happens when the Minnie is chased as planned?
(a) It makes dock without drawing hostile fire.
(b) It is fired upon and sunk.
(c) It is fired upon and damaged badly.
(d) It is fired upon and turns and flees.
14. Though Maturin's watch is less than desirable for navigating, what is it good for?
(a) Providing a ticking noise for going to sleep by.
(b) Knowing when to go to the mess for food.
(c) Taking a pulse.
(d) Nothing else.
15. What does Aubrey offer during the planning of the mission?
(a) His own sword for Maturin to use as part of his "uniform."
(b) A toast to success.
(c) Knowledge about a back way into Grisholm from a sea cave.
(d) Advice on how Maturin should dress when approaching Grisholm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hyde as a sailor and officer?
2. Who meets with D'Ullastret?
3. What ill omen occurs during the planning of the mission?
4. What does Maturin tell Blaine?
5. Why is Pellworm uncomfortable?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)