|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lands to possess the fortress?
(a) A force of English troops.
(b) A force of Spanish troops.
(c) A force of Dutch troops.
(d) A force of French troops.
2. What are the seas like as the convoy travels onward?
(c) Twenty-foot waves.
3. What is Jagiello's most prominent feature?
(a) His overwhelming beauty and enormous sex appeal.
(b) A scarred face from a ship fire.
(c) One arm is missing.
(d) His huge nose.
4. Where do the transports loaded with Catalan troops go?
(a) To France.
(b) To England to wait out the war.
(c) To the coastal waters off Brazil.
(d) Back to Samaurez' fleet.
5. With whose fleet does the Ariel rendezvous?
(a) Admiral Lord Nelson.
(b) Admiral Sir Drake.
(c) Admiral Sir James Saumarez.
(d) Admiral Hornblower.
6. What happens when the Minnie is chased as planned?
(a) It is fired upon and turns and flees.
(b) It makes dock without drawing hostile fire.
(c) It is fired upon and damaged badly.
(d) It is fired upon and sunk.
7. What does Aubrey feel a few hours later?
(a) A premonition of disaster.
(b) Ill as if he were poisoned.
(c) That they are missing something in their planning.
(d) He has a massive headache.
8. How is the crew of the Ariel?
(b) Disciplined and well trained.
(c) About 80 percent are on their first sea assignment.
(d) Generally knowlegeable but not ambitious.
9. What do the Ariel and Humbug do cooperatively?
(a) Repairs the hole in Minnie's hull from the underground reef.
(b) Install a new mail sail on the Minnie.
(c) Heave the Minnie off the mud flat.
(d) Capture the Minnie and straigten out her sails.
10. Why is celestial navigation out of the question?
(a) Their navigator died while at Grimsholm.
(b) Overcast skies.
(c) The charts for extrapolation were lost overboard in the last fight.
(d) They do not have a sextant.
11. What type of vessel does Aubrey wish to capture?
(a) A slaver ship.
(b) Any that he can find since he can redo the markings.
(c) A local traonsport of small vessel that Grimsholm knows.
(d) A merchant vessel of French registry.
12. Who is Hyde?
(a) Ariel's second mate.
(b) Ariel's stewart.
(c) Ariel's bosun chief.
(d) Ariel's senior lieutenant.
13. Who is Jagiello?
(a) A pirate for whom Ariel has hired for advising.
(b) A young officer of the Swedish service.
(c) One of the sailmen.
(d) A character in a Shakespeare play that Maturin is reading.
14. How accurate is Maturin's watch?
(a) It is extremely accurate.
(b) It loses about a minute a day.
(c) It loses about a minute every week.
(d) It loses a minute every 3 hours.
15. What is Jagiello supposed to be doing?
(a) Infiltrating the Barbary Coast group.
(b) Teaching Dalgliesh how to sail around the reefs near Gibraltar.
(c) Advising and observing.
(d) Pretending to be someone he is not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Minnie?
2. From what does Hyde suffer?
3. How long does it take to get the Minnie ready to sail?
4. Who does Aubrey warn in a small boat?
5. Who joins Aubrey in chasing the Minnie?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)