|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where have Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers just escaped?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) An uprising in the West Indies.
2. Who calls upon Aubrey shortly after he arrives home?
(b) Aubrey's lawyer.
(c) Representatives of Kimber.
(d) Aubrey's mother.
3. What surprises Captain Dalgliesh?
(a) That the two schooners break off so quickly.
(b) That the two schooners fall behind so quickly.
(c) That one of the schooners is not flying American colours.
(d) That the two American schooners are so persistently following them.
4. What does the town do when the Shannon arrives?
(a) Erupts in a tumultuous celebration.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) Warns it off because the town is quarantined.
(d) Asks Aubrey if the war is really over.
5. What does Maturin advise Aubrey?
(a) To take the second vessel carrying the recovering wounded.
(b) To not fret over things he cannot control.
(c) To borrow money from his wealthy father-in-law.
(d) To send his children to boarding school.
6. What does Captain Broke need to do?
(a) Supervise the repairs of the Shannon.
(b) Return to the blockage of Washington.
(c) Join a blockade of the New York harbor.
(d) Write his official communiqué.
7. What does Villiers confide to Maturin?
(a) That she is actually already married to Harry Johnson.
(b) That she left all her money in the hotel in Boston in her haste to leave.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she loves him.
8. What does Maturin ask his fellow physicians?
(a) What medicine to give Villiers.
(b) How to diagnose early pregnancy.
(c) How to know if a woman loves you.
(d) If they will assume the teaching of his classes for a while.
9. What is the name of one of the American schooners that converges on the ship where Maturin, Aubrey and Villiers are?
(a) The Liberty.
(b) The American Trader.
(c) The Bostonian.
(d) The Patriot.
10. What does Maturin do with Villiers?
(a) Tries to talk her into marrying him.
(b) Finds a friend who is willing to marry her.
(c) Marries her.
(d) Arranges for her to stay at the Hôtel de la Mothe.
11. How does Maturin's final speech fare?
(a) It is delivered in an uninspiring manner and loses the audience's attention.
(b) It is a rousing success.
(c) He cuts it to five minutes and only gives a bare outline of the material.
(d) He does not deliver it as he is called back to England on an emergency.
12. What does Maturin buy Villiers?
(a) Passage back to America.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) Passage back to Brazil.
(d) An expensive gown.
13. What has Villiers recently become?
(a) A Brazilian citizen.
(b) An English citizen.
(c) An American citizen.
(d) A Canadian citizen.
14. Who is circulating slander about Aubrey?
(c) First Lieutenant Grant.
15. What is Aubrey asked to do repeatedly?
(a) Show his battle wound.
(b) Have a flagon of ale on the house.
(c) Recount the battle scene from his perspective.
(d) Introduce Villiers to the crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what recent battle does Aubrey participate as a combatant?
2. What ship are Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers aboard?
3. Who does Aubrey quote that misleads Amanda Smith?
4. About what does Aubrey muse during his and Sophie's reunion?
5. What news does Smith spread far and wide?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)