|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maturin's final speech fare?
(a) It is a rousing success.
(b) It is delivered in an uninspiring manner and loses the audience's attention.
(c) He does not deliver it as he is called back to England on an emergency.
(d) He cuts it to five minutes and only gives a bare outline of the material.
2. How does Aubrey act at the ball?
(d) Socially competent but not interested in the talk.
3. What do Villiers and Maturin deduce about the pursuit by the two schooners?
(a) That Harry Johnson is funding the effort.
(b) That Harry Johnson is on board one of the vessels.
(c) That the American Naval intelligence is behind the pursuit.
(d) They may be pirates falsely flying legitimate colours.
4. What does the town do when the Shannon arrives?
(a) Warns it off because the town is quarantined.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) Erupts in a tumultuous celebration.
(d) Asks Aubrey if the war is really over.
5. What does Maturin find irresistible about Villiers?
(a) Nothing really attracts Maturin to Villiers.
(b) Her laughter.
(c) Her grace.
(d) Her eyes.
6. Where are the wounded transferred?
(a) To a larger ship that has a good infirmary.
(b) They are not transferred.
(c) To a hospital ashore.
(d) To a ship that's headed for England that day.
7. How does Aubrey feel about being back at sea?
(a) He is glad to be away from Smith.
(b) He is not too happy being on such a tiny vessel on the open seas.
(c) He wanted to stay in Canada longer and court Smith but his orders were to return to England.
(d) He feels ok but his arm is still useless so it reminds him that he may never captain again.
8. What does Maturin do doing the voyage?
(a) He spends most of his time bird watching.
(b) He continues writing the novel he started.
(c) He conducts research about scurvy on the crew.
(d) He helps the ship's surgeon roll bandages and the like.
9. What compels Aubrey to find Smith quite attractive?
(a) He does not want to insult her father, the host.
(b) Maturin's request that Aubrey be kind to his cousin.
(c) Nothing could compel him to find her attractive.
10. About what do men comment concerning Villiers?
(a) Her sad countenance.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her reluctance to engage in social conversation.
(d) Her tendency to flitter about.
11. How does Aubrey treat Smith?
(a) He tells her the news of his wife's death was incorrect.
(b) He is rude in hopes she will leave him be.
(c) He gives her misleading insinuations.
(d) He avoids her.
12. How is Villiers' appearance at the ball?
(a) She is wearing a lovely gown but no jewelry.
(b) Subdued in greys because she feels ill.
(d) She is wearing black for the death of her husband.
13. Who does Aubrey quote that misleads Amanda Smith?
(c) Harry Johnson.
(d) Admiral Nelson.
14. What has Villiers recently become?
(a) A Brazilian citizen.
(b) An English citizen.
(c) A Canadian citizen.
(d) An American citizen.
15. What forces are garrisoning at Grimsholm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Smith spread far and wide?
2. From where have Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers just escaped?
3. What does Maturin ask Villiers?
4. What happens to one of the American schooners that delays their pursuit?
5. Who is circulating slander about Aubrey?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)