|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amanda Smith ask of Aubrey?
(a) A letter saying he never touched her.
2. What ship are Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers aboard?
(a) HMS Java.
(b) HMS Elizabeth.
(c) HMS Leopard.
(d) HMS Shannon.
3. What does the town do when the Shannon arrives?
(a) Asks Aubrey if the war is really over.
(b) Erupts in a tumultuous celebration.
(c) Warns it off because the town is quarantined.
(d) Nothing out of the ordinary.
4. Why does Aubrey travel to London?
(a) To buy his family presents.
(b) To see another lawyer.
(c) To make his official report.
(d) To file a suit against Kimper.
5. How does Aubrey respond to Smith's letters?
(a) He sends her money.
(b) A writes the letter affirming her virgin state.
(c) He says he will start divorce proceedings so he can marry her.
6. Who joins Aubrey at his home?
7. What does Maturin do at the ball?
(a) Watches other people and examines the potted plants.
(b) Sleeps in a corner chair.
(c) Escorts Villiers from group to group introducing her.
(d) Dances almost every dance.
8. What does Maturin do doing the voyage?
(a) He conducts research about scurvy on the crew.
(b) He spends most of his time bird watching.
(c) He continues writing the novel he started.
(d) He helps the ship's surgeon roll bandages and the like.
9. What does Blaine suggest to Aubrey?
(a) A competent attorney.
(b) That Aubrey try to get a new assignment quickly before summons can be engendered.
(c) That he spend some time at home before a new assignemnt.
(d) That Aubrey travel with Maturin.
10. What surprises Captain Dalgliesh?
(a) That one of the schooners is not flying American colours.
(b) That the two schooners break off so quickly.
(c) That the two schooners fall behind so quickly.
(d) That the two American schooners are so persistently following them.
11. Where does the vessel carrying Aubrey and company arrive?
12. With what is Aubrey threatened?
(d) Debtor's prison.
13. Who is circulating slander about Aubrey?
(b) First Lieutenant Grant.
14. For what is everyone waiting anxiously?
(a) The coming of the new ambassador from the United States.
(b) For Captain Broke's wounds to heal.
(c) The coming of the new ambassador from Germany.
(d) For the return of two packets with further orders for Aubrey and Maturin.
15. What is Aubrey asked to do repeatedly?
(a) Recount the battle scene from his perspective.
(b) Introduce Villiers to the crowd.
(c) Have a flagon of ale on the house.
(d) Show his battle wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Smith and Aubrey leave the ball?
2. What does Captain Broke need to do?
3. Who is Kimber?
4. About what do men comment concerning Villiers?
5. What news does Kimber write Aubrey?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)