|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Maturin doing in America recently?
(a) He was courting Villiers.
(b) He was helping Aubrey escape.
(c) He was spying.
(d) He was a nominal prisoner.
2. What does Captain Broke need to do?
(a) Write his official communiqué.
(b) Supervise the repairs of the Shannon.
(c) Join a blockade of the New York harbor.
(d) Return to the blockage of Washington.
3. What does Aubrey do when he first makes land?
(a) Finds out where his surviving children are.
(b) Reunites with Kimber.
(c) Finds out where his wife is buried.
(d) Goes to file his lenthly preliminary report to naval authorities.
4. From where have Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers just escaped?
(b) An uprising in the West Indies.
(c) New Orleans.
5. What do Villiers and Maturin deduce about the pursuit by the two schooners?
(a) That the American Naval intelligence is behind the pursuit.
(b) That Harry Johnson is on board one of the vessels.
(c) That Harry Johnson is funding the effort.
(d) They may be pirates falsely flying legitimate colours.
6. In what recent battle does Aubrey participate as a combatant?
(a) The battle between the USS Chesapeake and HMS Shannon.
(b) A battle in Washington between Johnson's spies and Maturin.
(c) The battle between the USS Constitution and the HMS Shannon.
(d) Aubrey has not been in a battle recently.
7. How does Aubrey treat Smith?
(a) He tells her the news of his wife's death was incorrect.
(b) He is rude in hopes she will leave him be.
(c) He gives her misleading insinuations.
(d) He avoids her.
8. About what does Aubrey muse during his and Sophie's reunion?
9. What does Maturin buy Villiers?
(a) Passage back to America.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) An expensive gown.
(d) Passage back to Brazil.
10. What does Maturin do with Villiers?
(a) Tries to talk her into marrying him.
(b) Arranges for her to stay at the Hôtel de la Mothe.
(c) Finds a friend who is willing to marry her.
(d) Marries her.
11. How does Villiers fare at the beginning of the sea voyage?
(a) She is used to the ocean and loves sailing.
(b) She is harrassed by some of the sailors.
(c) She is severely seasick.
(d) She is fearful of water but does not get seasick.
12. What is spreading like wildfire in the town where Shannon is docking?
(a) News of the HMS Shannon's victory.
(b) The plague.
(c) The flu.
(d) News of the end of the war.
13. How does Aubrey find his home?
(a) Nearly vacant.
(b) Completely deserted.
(c) Not burned as an earlier report said.
(d) Bustling in anticipation of his return.
14. What goes on for weeks?
(a) The celebrating in the town.
(b) The quarantine.
(c) Caring for the ill.
(d) Repairing the Shannon.
15. What ship are Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers aboard?
(a) HMS Java.
(b) HMS Shannon.
(c) HMS Elizabeth.
(d) HMS Leopard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin ask his fellow physicians?
2. What has Villiers recently become?
3. Who calls upon Aubrey shortly after he arrives home?
4. What impresses Smith about Aubrey?
5. Where is the HMS Shannon going?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)