|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about Harry Johnson?
(a) He is distantly related to the King of England.
(b) He is a civilian engaged in intelligence work on his own for the United States.
(c) He works for the underground railroad.
(d) He is a well-published author on warfare.
2. What is Aubrey asked to do repeatedly?
(a) Recount the battle scene from his perspective.
(b) Show his battle wound.
(c) Have a flagon of ale on the house.
(d) Introduce Villiers to the crowd.
3. What do Villiers and Maturin deduce about the pursuit by the two schooners?
(a) That Harry Johnson is on board one of the vessels.
(b) That Harry Johnson is funding the effort.
(c) That the American Naval intelligence is behind the pursuit.
(d) They may be pirates falsely flying legitimate colours.
4. To whom does Maturin make his report?
(a) The Duke of Wellington.
(b) Sir Joseph Blaine.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) Sir James Blair.
5. What does Maturin do doing the voyage?
(a) He spends most of his time bird watching.
(b) He conducts research about scurvy on the crew.
(c) He continues writing the novel he started.
(d) He helps the ship's surgeon roll bandages and the like.
6. What compels Aubrey to find Smith quite attractive?
(a) He does not want to insult her father, the host.
(b) Maturin's request that Aubrey be kind to his cousin.
(c) Nothing could compel him to find her attractive.
7. What impresses Smith about Aubrey?
(a) His reverent mention of his deceased wife.
(b) His gallent mannerisms.
(c) His strong friendship with her cousin, Maturin.
(d) His tales of violent combat.
8. What is the name of one of the American schooners that converges on the ship where Maturin, Aubrey and Villiers are?
(a) The Patriot.
(b) The Liberty.
(c) The American Trader.
(d) The Bostonian.
9. What is Harry Johnson's financial situation?
(a) He is penniless but is hoping for an investment in a slaver vessel to turn that around.
(b) He is extremely wealthy.
(c) He is almost penniless having spent his fortune funding the revolutionary war.
(d) His financial status is not mentioned.
10. Who is Kimber?
(a) Aubrey's best friend back in England.
(b) Aubrey's business agent.
(c) Aubrey's cousin and lawyer.
(d) Aubrey's brother-in-law.
11. Where does the vessel carrying Aubrey and company arrive?
12. Who is Beck?
(a) The man who brought Maturin a rare plant specimen.
(b) Another doctor who teaches at the medical college.
(c) The owner of the Inn where Maturin is staying.
(d) A local intelligence officer.
13. What was Maturin doing in America recently?
(a) He was courting Villiers.
(b) He was helping Aubrey escape.
(c) He was a nominal prisoner.
(d) He was spying.
14. Who is Amanda Smith?
(a) A young woman asked to be Villiers's maid.
(b) A young woman who dotes on Aubrey.
(c) Matruin's cousin who is there with her mother.
(d) The daughter of the host at the ball.
15. With what is Aubrey threatened?
(d) Debtor's prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers do to effect a return to England?
2. What does Maturin do with Villiers?
3. Who does Aubrey find?
4. In what recent battle does Aubrey participate as a combatant?
5. What is Maturin doing on shore?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)