|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Captain Dalgliesh?
(a) That the two schooners break off so quickly.
(b) That the two schooners fall behind so quickly.
(c) That one of the schooners is not flying American colours.
(d) That the two American schooners are so persistently following them.
2. What does Blaine suggest to Aubrey?
(a) That Aubrey travel with Maturin.
(b) That Aubrey try to get a new assignment quickly before summons can be engendered.
(c) That he spend some time at home before a new assignemnt.
(d) A competent attorney.
3. With what is Aubrey threatened?
(a) Debtor's prison.
4. In what type of work has Maturin been recently engaged?
(a) Collecting specimens.
(c) Teaching at the medical school.
(d) Writing a novel.
5. What does Maturin intend to do in Paris?
(a) Learn what he can of his nephew's disappearance.
(b) Deliver diplomatic papers to the embassy.
(c) Lecture at a scientific academy.
6. What ship are Aubrey, Maturin and Villiers aboard?
(a) HMS Leopard.
(b) HMS Shannon.
(c) HMS Elizabeth.
(d) HMS Java.
7. What is notable about Harry Johnson?
(a) He is a well-published author on warfare.
(b) He is a civilian engaged in intelligence work on his own for the United States.
(c) He is distantly related to the King of England.
(d) He works for the underground railroad.
8. What does Maturin do with Villiers?
(a) Finds a friend who is willing to marry her.
(b) Tries to talk her into marrying him.
(c) Arranges for her to stay at the Hôtel de la Mothe.
(d) Marries her.
9. What is Maturin doing on shore?
(a) Finding a minister to marry him and Villiers.
(b) Having a quiet moment with Villiers.
(c) Trying to sleep.
(d) Attending the wounded.
10. For what is everyone waiting anxiously?
(a) The coming of the new ambassador from the United States.
(b) For Captain Broke's wounds to heal.
(c) The coming of the new ambassador from Germany.
(d) For the return of two packets with further orders for Aubrey and Maturin.
11. What does the mail that arrives confirm?
(a) That Aubrey's wife has died.
(b) That Aubrey's estate is irreparably damaged.
(c) Aubrey's worse fears about Kimber.
(d) That not only has Aubrey's wife died, but also his oldest son.
12. What forces are garrisoning at Grimsholm?
13. What scares Smith as she and Aubrey walk outside?
(a) A rat running across the grass.
(b) A raccoon walking towards them.
(c) The boom of a ship's gun.
(d) A toad on the sidewalk.
14. Who calls upon Aubrey shortly after he arrives home?
(a) Aubrey's lawyer.
(c) Aubrey's mother.
(d) Representatives of Kimber.
15. What is the town celebrating?
(a) The news of Shannon's victory.
(b) That the War of 1812 is over.
(c) That the Napoleonic Wars are over.
(d) That Napoleon is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do doing the voyage?
2. What does Aubrey desperately want to do?
3. What does Amanda Smith ask of Aubrey?
4. How does Aubrey treat Smith?
5. How does Smith find Aubrey to be?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)