|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Natasha describe her father's performance in A Raisin in the Sun in “Natasha Kingsley: A Daughter’s History"?
2. What did Samuel Kingsley believe was his destiny, according to the narrator in “Samuel Kingsley: A History of Regret, Part 2”?
3. What does the phrase "Museun iriya?" translate to from Korean to English?
4. What food did Natasha's father go to buy for his family on the night of his play debut in “Natasha Kingsley: A Daughter’s History"?
5. How many hits does Daniel get when he googles "Natasha Facebook New York City"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you gauge the difference between Daniel and Natasha's falling in love with the other?
2. How did Patricia feel about Samuel's performance in A Raisin in the Sun? Why?
3. How did Samuel Kingsley's experiences as an actor differ between Jamaica and America?
4. How does the author use the symbolism of stars in the narrative?
5. How does Daniel respond when Natasha tells him that she is about to be deported?
6. How does Natasha's perceptions of her father change as the novel progresses?
7. What leads up to the conflict between Daniel and Charlie at their father's store?
8. What is the one good thing that Charlie does in the novel? Why do you think he does it?
9. What is the significance of the violin street performer in the novel?
10. How do the differences between the blue-haired, mohawked couple illustrate the differences between Daniel and Natasha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the three stages of love that are explored in “Love: A Chemical History"? What aspects of the human mind/body control each of these stages? How do these stages apply to Daniel and Natasha?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of The Sun is Also a Star. Where in the narrative are the exposition and rising action located? Where does the climax of the novel occur? What information is revealed in the novel's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Irene in the novel. Where does Irene first encounter Natasha? What are the repercussions of this encounter? What role does Irene play in the plot of The Sun is Also a Star?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)