|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the study where the researcher put two strangers into a room and had them ask one another intimate questions, how long were the subjects supposed to stare into one another's eyes without speaking?
2. Where does Natasha say she has been getting application materials ready for when she talks with the USCIS agent in the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Daniel say he would be famous for when answering Natasha's question before her appointment?
4. What does Natasha tell Daniel she wants to be when she grows up?
5. What does Charlie change his name to later in life, according to the narrative in “Charles Jae Won Bae: A Future History"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Prologue to The Sun is Also a Star?
2. What does "Deus ex Machina" mean and why does the author use this phrase in The Sun is Also a Star?
3. How would you describe the narrative style of The Sun is Also a Star?
4. How does Natasha respond to her interaction with Charlie at Daniel's father's store when they first meet?
5. What happens when Natasha arrives late for her meeting with Karen Whitney?
6. What event caused the deportation order that Natasha's family faces in the novel?
7. How is "love" perceived by Natasha and by Daniel in the novel?
8. How are the concepts of practicality and romanticism juxtaposed in the novel?
9. What are the three stages of love that are discussed in the novel?
10. What is a "multiverse" and why is this discussed in The Sun is Also a Star?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What study from the New York Times does Daniel present to Natasha? Why? How does Natasha respond to Daniel's discussion of this study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Charles Jae Won Bae in The Sun is Also a Star. What is Charles's relationship like with his parents? How would you describe his relationship with Daniel? What are Charlie's objectives in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the word "irie" defined in “Irie: An Etymological History"? Why do you think the author includes this brief chapter in the novel? How does the word "irie" apply to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)