|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daniel describe the article about the researcher who put two people in a lab and had them ask one another intimate questions?
2. How old was Natasha when her family came to the United States?
3. What aspect of Natasha's appearance does Daniel find himself staring at as they leave the coffee shop before her appointment?
4. Who is Natasha's ex-boyfriend that cheated on her?
5. What is the name of the receptionist that Natasha argues with when she arrives late for her appointment at USCIS?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the narrative style of The Sun is Also a Star?
2. Who is Hannah Winter and what role does she play in the plot of The Sun is Also a Star?
3. What similarities do Daniel and Natasha share?
4. What does "Deus ex Machina" mean and why does the author use this phrase in The Sun is Also a Star?
5. How would you describe Natasha's family?
6. What are Natasha's feelings about science?
7. What is a "multiverse" and why is this discussed in The Sun is Also a Star?
8. Who is Daniel scheduled to meet with from Yale? Why?
9. What "event" leads to Daniel pursuing the signs of God in the novel?
10. What kind of store does Daniel's father own? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of fate in The Sun is Also a Star. How is this theme developed through character? How does the author develop this theme through setting? What symbolism and imagery connect to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Irene in the novel. Where does Irene first encounter Natasha? What are the repercussions of this encounter? What role does Irene play in the plot of The Sun is Also a Star?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Jeremy Fitzgerald and Hannah Winter in The Sun is Also a Star. How do these characters each affect the plot of the novel? What themes emerge through these characters in the story? What is the outcome for these characters?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)