|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the guard at the USCIS building that inspects Natasha's things at security in the beginning of the novel?
2. Where did Natasha's mother travel in order to get Natasha a "good" social security card?
3. What album is depicted on Natasha's phone cover?
4. From what narrative perspective is “Irene: A History" related?
5. How many questions total from the list from the love study do Daniel and Natasha decide they will ask one another each?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hannah Winter and what role does she play in the plot of The Sun is Also a Star?
2. How would you describe the narrative style of The Sun is Also a Star?
3. What similarities do Daniel and Natasha share?
4. Who is Jeremy Fitzgerald and what is his role in the plot of The Sun is Also a Star?
5. What is a "multiverse" and why is this discussed in The Sun is Also a Star?
6. What are Natasha's feelings about science?
7. What event caused the deportation order that Natasha's family faces in the novel?
8. What is the significance of Irene's character in the novel?
9. What happens when Natasha arrives late for her meeting with Karen Whitney?
10. How would you describe Natasha's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Sun is Also a Star. From whose perspective is the story told? How does the author indicate changes in perspective? How would the novel differ if it were related in a different narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of love in The Sun is Also a Star. How is this theme developed through character and setting? What symbolism relates to this theme? How is the concept of love explored through the two main characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is the word "irie" defined in “Irie: An Etymological History"? Why do you think the author includes this brief chapter in the novel? How does the word "irie" apply to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)