|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the governor that violated the federal mandate to allow integration in the school?
2. In 1898, a mob of _____ men burned a black town in North Carolina.
3. The press made headlines accusing blacks of everything from murder to ______.
4. Who was president when the case of Brown vs. The Board of Education was decided?
5. What devastating period in history also assisted in easing racial tensions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did racial tensions increase at the end of World War I?
2. How did the Jim Crow laws change beginning in 1920?
3. What is considered to be the key year in the Civil Rights Movement? What non-violent protest action came into popularity?
4. What event precipitated the end of public school segregation? In what year did the event take place?
5. Name some of the reasons for the group to ease back on their efforts.
6. What happened in 1989 regarding the Jim Crow law?
7. What event precipitated the New Reconstruction? How was compliance enforced?
8. What group of states announced that it would integrate their schools? What was the opinion of the school systems in the Deep South regarding the time line?
9. What happened when the courts finally set up a strict implementation plan? Who was in charge?
10. What happened that caused the people opposed to segregation to back down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose and describe one of the major cities in the south in the year 1877. Include the social, political, economical and criminal atmospheres. Also discuss the city's culture at that time, including music and other entertainment.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the most racially aggressive groups in the United States from the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement into the present include the Ku Klux Klan, Regulators, Skinheads, and Whitecappers. Describe each group, it intents and purposes as well as its violent and non-violent activities.
Essay Topic 3
Give examples of specific acts of racial violence in white neighborhoods. Focus on various ethnicities and not just blacks. Also use immigrants as targets for racial and ethnic violence.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)