|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in steady decline between 1820 and 1860?
2. In what month did the Brown case come to an end?
3. Many liberals referred to the Northerners as which of the following?
4. What was the name of the policy that stated that slave owners should remain in charge because they knew best?
5. What is another name given to the Great Compromise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the court system in regards to racial segregation.
2. What kind of impact did the court case have on government agencies?
3. It has been shown that full-fledged segregation occurred in the North, and was transported to the South after the Civil War. Discuss this fact.
4. Describe what it was like in regards to racial separation in the Antebellum South, particularly in the cities.
5. While some locales seemed to have some improvement regarding segregation, there were other places where other phenomena were appearing. Explain.
6. The laws responsible for keeping blacks have developed a nickname. What was the name and where did it supposedly come from?
7. Describe some of the choices Southerner were required to make regarding the status of races.
8. According to the text, what was included in the first segment of southern history as we know it? How many segments are there in total?
9. What threatened the main order of the way things were in the south? What court case was seen as a landmark case in regards to segregation?
10. Overall, how can the all of the segments be bound to one specific group or cause? What was the outcome as far as how it has progressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay on the formation of the Ku Klux Klan. When was the organization formed, who was it formed by and in what location? When did the KKK come to the peak of power? In which states did it maintain the strongest hold? Who was likely to be a member in the secret society? Is the KKK still active? What is their mission or goal?
Essay Topic 2
Choose and describe one of the major cities in the south in the year 1877. Include the social, political, economical and criminal atmospheres. Also discuss the city's culture at that time, including music and other entertainment.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the most racially aggressive groups in the United States from the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement into the present include the Ku Klux Klan, Regulators, Skinheads, and Whitecappers. Describe each group, it intents and purposes as well as its violent and non-violent activities.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)