|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used to describe people who disliked or were afraid of the Negroes?
2. How many Northern states allowed black men to vote at this time?
3. What culture had and has a belief that it is superior to the black culture?
4. The change in the Constitution and the new order is often referred to as:
5. The quote provided in the introduction discusses where the Jim Crow System was effective. Which is not mentioned in the quote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what it was like in regards to racial separation in the Antebellum South, particularly in the cities.
2. What important period does the third segment of the history follow? How does it relate to the others? How was this period characterized?
3. What threatened the main order of the way things were in the south? What court case was seen as a landmark case in regards to segregation?
4. Despite the advances made in race relationships since the end of the Civil War, the battle between the North and South still carries some weight. Discuss this concept and why it is still a popular issue.
5. While some locales seemed to have some improvement regarding segregation, there were other places where other phenomena were appearing. Explain.
6. Overall, how can the all of the segments be bound to one specific group or cause? What was the outcome as far as how it has progressed?
7. Discuss the court system in regards to racial segregation.
8. Describe the atmosphere regarding the presence of blacks in public and private facilities during the late 19th century.
9. Discuss why city life in the Antebellum South was not really amenable to slavery and segregation. How was city life affected?
10. According to the text, what was included in the first segment of southern history as we know it? How many segments are there in total?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give examples of specific acts of racial violence in white neighborhoods. Focus on various ethnicities and not just blacks. Also use immigrants as targets for racial and ethnic violence.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of mob mentality. What is mob mentality? Is it positive or negative? How did mob mentality play a role in the story? Have you ever experienced mob mentality? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write how you think the issue of segregation would be handled in today's court system. How would the approach change? Would the court proceedings receive national media attention like it did in the 1870s? Would the case require the intervention of the NAACP and high powered attorneys? State reasons for your opinions, using as many facts as possible.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)