|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word was used to describe the comments and promises made by both political parties during the 1956 conventions?
2. Which is not mentioned in the list of things blacks are still being denied?
(a) Right to vote.
(d) Income equality.
3. Racists often referred to Negroes as lacking which of the following?
(a) Common sense.
4. What devastating period in history also assisted in easing racial tensions?
(a) Great Depression.
(b) Stock Market Crash.
(c) Presidential assassination.
5. Whose ghost is predicted to haunt a troubled people although he is long dead?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Orville Faubus.
(c) Jim Crow.
(d) Martin Luther King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which states were the first to wane in their support of the cause?
2. In what year was the NAACP founded?
3. The appointment of a(n) _________ in South Carolina fueled even more racial violence.
4. The main conflict regarding the case and the Supreme Court decision originated in which city?
5. According to this group, people tended to separate to fall back on their own:
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the occurrence of World War I benefit the Negro?
2. The satire that appeared in the press may have been a portent of things to come. Explain.
3. How did the Jim Crow laws change beginning in 1920?
4. What major action taken in Arkansas caused a national uproar? What happened as a result of the actions?
5. Describe the three day siege in New Orleans and why it was an extreme example of white aggression.
6. What input did scholars have on racism? What sections of this group were most influential in the opinion?
7. Resistance toward integration in Southern schools began to wane after what event? Which states refused to follow suit?
8. What event precipitated the end of public school segregation? In what year did the event take place?
9. What was the message given to the Negroes from white industrialists? How did it affect nationwide racism?
10. Name some of the reasons for the group to ease back on their efforts.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)