|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which state stepped forward with this particular issue?
(b) South Carolina.
2. The NAACP file suits against how many school boards throughout the Deep South?
3. Which president was elected in 1960?
4. Who was responsible for "chipping away" at the 14th Amendment in the late 1800s?
(b) Supreme Court.
(c) Federal government.
(d) National Guard.
5. Who was president when the case of Brown vs. The Board of Education was decided?
Short Answer Questions
1. The press made headlines accusing blacks of everything from murder to ______.
2. Southern Progressives are credited with helping to elect _____ as President of the US.
3. What word/phrase was used by Virginia Dabney in reference to a group of white troublemakers?
4. Who was referred to as being one of the most brilliant speakers of the 1960s?
5. The main conflict regarding the case and the Supreme Court decision originated in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. The satire that appeared in the press may have been a portent of things to come. Explain.
2. Describe the three day siege in New Orleans and why it was an extreme example of white aggression.
3. What was the first group to back down from the extreme fight against racism?
4. What happened in 1989 regarding the Jim Crow law?
5. What event precipitated the New Reconstruction? How was compliance enforced?
6. What violation of civil rights was caused and supported by the regression of blacks?
7. What common enemy helped to ease racial tensions? What was the common goal? Who supported the goal?
8. To what level did Southern segregation rise to by 1915?
9. What event followed the murder of the four young girls in a black church?
10. What event precipitated the end of public school segregation? In what year did the event take place?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)