|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when a prevalent body or thought rules the land?
2. What word was often used to describe the status of a black person, whether or not he was free?
3. The level of tolerance regarding racial equality was directly related to which of the following?
(a) Relation to Mason-Dixon line.
(b) Political affiliation.
4. What formal document is said to have officially abolished slavery?
(b) Gettysburg Address.
(c) Treaty of Lee and Grant.
(d) Emancipation Proclamation.
5. In the late 1800s blacks were accepted, or at least tolerated, where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What public meeting place was one of the most affected by segregation after the slaves were freed?
2. The great historical event was thought to have caused the end of an important time period. What was it called?
3. The phrase came from a book written by which author?
4. What was never even considered between slaves and land owners?
5. Blacks were allowed to be an integrated part of the crowds on "common carriers." Which of the following is not a common carrier mentioned in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although more states entered the union, there were no new laws regarding blacks. Discuss this fact and the eligibility of voting status for black men.
2. What were the names of some of the alternatives presented to the Southerners?
3. Despite the advances made in race relationships since the end of the Civil War, the battle between the North and South still carries some weight. Discuss this concept and why it is still a popular issue.
4. What threatened the main order of the way things were in the south? What court case was seen as a landmark case in regards to segregation?
5. What does the author say about exploitation from 1877-1900?
6. What phenomena emerged that may have caused the end of the alliance between blacks and conservative whites?
7. What major step is included in the second phase of history in the south? What was it called?
8. What kind of impact did the court case have on government agencies?
9. Explain at least one of the reasons the whites wanted to press the issue of blacks being an inferior race.
10. Name at least one major change that took place during the Redemption.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)