|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What “mule-headed” Shakespearean character is described in Chapter 19 as “stumbling from tents of sheer turquoise and white”?
2. How many months has it been since the Summer Solstice when Ava is brought home from the hospital in Chapter 25?
3. Where does the apparition lead Ava during her feverish fit in Chapter 17?
4. Of Viviane, the narrator says in the beginning of Chapter 22, “She thought it unfair that her life should be both irrelevant and” what?
5. What color is Trouver the dog described as in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ava and Cardigan go about preparing for the Summer Solstice festival in Chapter 19?
2. Where does the ghost of Fatima lead Ava in Chapter 17? How does she lead Ava?
3. What do Gabe and Viviane argue about in Chapter 16? How does Ava respond to the argument?
4. What leads Emilienne to call the police in Chapter 23? Where does she send the police when she calls?
5. How does Ava come to discover her grandmother’s death in Chapter 26? What does Ava do next?
6. What is described in the diary entry that concludes Chapter 15? Who wrote this excerpt?
7. How does Ava feel when she sees Rowe returning home in Chapter 26? What does Fatima’s ghost say to Ava before departing?
8. Who appears at Ava’s window in the beginning of Chapter 15? How does Ava respond?
9. What incident occurs between Ava and Nathaniel Sorrows in Chapter 17?
10. How does Henry respond when Viviane asks him if he is ok in the truck in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Wilhelmina Dovetail in the novel. How old is Wilhelmina when she first arrives at Pinnacle Lane? How is her appearance described? How is Wilhelmina regarded by Emilienne when they first meet?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Nathaniel Sorrows in the novel. Based on Nathaniel’s diary entries, how does he feel about the strange creature he saw when he arrived at his aunt’s home? How does Nathaniel’s obsession with Ava begin? What happens to Nathaniel at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Viviane Lavender in the novel. How does Viviane differ from her mother? How are they alike? With whom is Viviane closest as a child?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)