|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hired to replace Emilienne at the bakery in Chapter 25?
2. What does Emilienne say to Rowe as he drives her home in Chapter 21?
3. What is the midsummer festival called in Greece, according to the narrator in Chapter 19?
4. Whose apparition appears and leads Ava out of her house when she’s ill with fever in Chapter 17?
5. Who is said to have changed the most following Ava’s attack in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Emilienne’s dream described in the beginning of Chapter 26? Who appears in her dream?
2. Where does the ghost of Fatima lead Ava in Chapter 17? How does she lead Ava?
3. How do Ava and Cardigan go about preparing for the Summer Solstice festival in Chapter 19?
4. How is Ava introduced to the teenagers at the reservoir in Chapter 15? Who introduces Ava?
5. What discoveries does Viviane make when she goes to retrieve Henry in Chapter 22?
6. What is the first “clue” that Emilienne deciphers when she arrives at the home of Marigold Pie in Chapter 24?
7. How does Ava describe the after-story of Marigold Pie in Chapter 26? Where did Marigold Pie go?
8. How is Emilienne’s behavior described in the beginning of Chapter 21? What has influenced her change in behavior?
9. How does Ava respond to the disbelief of the teenagers at the reservoir in Chapter 15?
10. How is the new home of Jack Griffith described in the beginning of Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Emilienne Roux as the central character in the first part of the novel. What characteristics does Emilienne exhibit in the reading? How does she relate to her siblings and parents? How does Emilienne cope with the loss of her siblings and parents?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Ava Lavender as the protagonist and narrator of the novel. How would you describe Ava’s personality as a child? How are Ava’s wings described? What size and color are her wings? How does Ava’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Fatima Ines de Dores in the novel. How old is Fatima when she goes to live with her brother? Where does she arrive from? How does the author describe Fatima’s characteristics and behavior?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)