|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term from Chapter 19 refers to the dancing spirits of rain and fertility in the mythology of the Hopis?
2. Where does the apparition lead Ava during her feverish fit in Chapter 17?
3. Who encounters Ava out on the street as she wanders in a feverish fit and leads her home in Chapter 17?
4. Of Viviane, the narrator says in the beginning of Chapter 22, “She thought it unfair that her life should be both irrelevant and” what?
5. What does Cardigan wear as a costume to attend the Solstice Festival in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the ghost of Fatima lead Ava in Chapter 17? How does she lead Ava?
2. How does Ava come to encounter Nathaniel Sorrows in Chapter 20?
3. How is Emilienne’s dream described in the beginning of Chapter 26? Who appears in her dream?
4. How does Ava feel when she sees Rowe returning home in Chapter 26? What does Fatima’s ghost say to Ava before departing?
5. How is the new home of Jack Griffith described in the beginning of Chapter 27?
6. How does Ava come to discover her grandmother’s death in Chapter 26? What does Ava do next?
7. What scene does Ava describe Jack Griffith seeing from his balcony in Chapter 27?
8. Who calls Viviane regarding Henry’s disappearance in Chapter 20? Where is Ava at this time?
9. What do Gabe and Viviane argue about in Chapter 16? How does Ava respond to the argument?
10. What leads Emilienne to call the police in Chapter 23? Where does she send the police when she calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Gabe’s and Viviane’s differences in their viewpoints of how to raise Henry and Ava. Do you agree with Viviane that the children are best cared for at home and protected from the outside world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the supernatural elements in The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. How does the narrator explain the strange phenomena that takes place in the story? How is Ava’s lineage related to the supernatural?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Emilienne Roux as the central character in the first part of the novel. What characteristics does Emilienne exhibit in the reading? How does she relate to her siblings and parents? How does Emilienne cope with the loss of her siblings and parents?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)