|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rowe has received a full scholarship to what college in Chapter 15?
2. Emilienne says in her dream in Chapter 26 that you cannot play bezique with how many players?
3. The Lavender family’s home on Pinnacle Lane is described as being painted the color of what, in Chapter 27?
4. Who says in Emilienne’s dream in the beginning of Chapter 26, “We’ve been waiting for you. None of us can remember how to play bezique”?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 26, “No one had occupied the third floor of our house since the days of” whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ava introduced to the teenagers at the reservoir in Chapter 15? Who introduces Ava?
2. How does Ava feel when she sees Rowe returning home in Chapter 26? What does Fatima’s ghost say to Ava before departing?
3. What discoveries does Viviane make when she goes to retrieve Henry in Chapter 22?
4. Who calls Viviane regarding Henry’s disappearance in Chapter 20? Where is Ava at this time?
5. How does Ava respond to the disbelief of the teenagers at the reservoir in Chapter 15?
6. What incident occurs between Ava and Nathaniel Sorrows in Chapter 17?
7. What is the first “clue” that Emilienne deciphers when she arrives at the home of Marigold Pie in Chapter 24?
8. What leads Emilienne to call the police in Chapter 23? Where does she send the police when she calls?
9. What scene does Ava describe Jack Griffith seeing from his balcony in Chapter 27?
10. How do Ava and Cardigan go about preparing for the Summer Solstice festival in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the causes, diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment for autism spectrum disorder. When do children with autism begin to exhibit signs of the disorder? How does autism affect speech and communication skills? In what ways are Henry’s behaviors in the novel exhibitive of autism spectrum disorder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jack Griffith’s plans for the future and his perspective of his situation in Chapter 6. Why does Jack feel like a failure because he’s planning to attend college as opposed to fighting in the war? How does Viviane view Jack’s circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Nathaniel Sorrows in the novel. Based on Nathaniel’s diary entries, how does he feel about the strange creature he saw when he arrived at his aunt’s home? How does Nathaniel’s obsession with Ava begin? What happens to Nathaniel at the end of the story?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)