|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Viviane begin doing after she has an epiphany about Jack while putting Henry and Trouver into the truck in Chapter 22?
2. Rowe Cooper works as a delivery truck driver for what business in Chapter 15?
3. Whose truck does Ava see pulling away from her driveway as she nears her house in Chapter 20?
4. What does Viviane recall Jack giving her as a gift before leaving for college in Chapter 14?
5. Who discovers that Emilienne has passed away in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ava describe the after-story of Marigold Pie in Chapter 26? Where did Marigold Pie go?
2. What is related in the journal entry that concludes Chapter 17? When is this entry dated?
3. Where does the ghost of Fatima lead Ava in Chapter 17? How does she lead Ava?
4. How do Ava and Cardigan go about preparing for the Summer Solstice festival in Chapter 19?
5. What is the first “clue” that Emilienne deciphers when she arrives at the home of Marigold Pie in Chapter 24?
6. How does Ava respond to the disbelief of the teenagers at the reservoir in Chapter 15?
7. What do Gabe and Viviane argue about in Chapter 16? How does Ava respond to the argument?
8. What discoveries does Viviane make when she goes to retrieve Henry in Chapter 22?
9. What takes place when Viviane encounters Nathaniel Sorrows in the road in Chapter 24?
10. How is Emilienne’s behavior described in the beginning of Chapter 21? What has influenced her change in behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of John Griffith in the novel. How does Ava describe John’s feelings regarding Emilienne Lavender in Chapter 5? What can you discern of John’s character based on his behavior toward his wife and son? How does John Griffith change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Gabe’s and Viviane’s differences in their viewpoints of how to raise Henry and Ava. Do you agree with Viviane that the children are best cared for at home and protected from the outside world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Emilienne Roux as the central character in the first part of the novel. What characteristics does Emilienne exhibit in the reading? How does she relate to her siblings and parents? How does Emilienne cope with the loss of her siblings and parents?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)