|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Lavender family’s home on Pinnacle Lane is described as being painted the color of what, in Chapter 27?
2. What does Viviane see in the backyard where Jack had been searching for King Tut’s tomb when Viviane met him, in Chapter 22?
3. Emilienne’s brother says to her in Chapter 26, “We were hoping you’d be able to play us a tune on” what?
4. Who is sleeping next to Ava when she awakens in the hospital in Chapter 24?
5. Who sends daily letters to Ava while she remains recuperating at home in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Emilienne’s dream described in the beginning of Chapter 26? Who appears in her dream?
2. How has Gabe’s behavior changed in the beginning of Chapter 18? Why?
3. What is related in the journal entry that concludes Chapter 18? When is this entry dated?
4. What discoveries does Viviane make when she goes to retrieve Henry in Chapter 22?
5. How is Nathaniel Sorrows’s attack on Ava described in Chapter 23? How is Ava harmed in the attack?
6. Where does the ghost of Fatima lead Ava in Chapter 17? How does she lead Ava?
7. What takes place when Viviane encounters Nathaniel Sorrows in the road in Chapter 24?
8. What do Gabe and Viviane argue about in Chapter 16? How does Ava respond to the argument?
9. What does Ava discover when she attempts to flee the home of Marigold Pie in Chapter 23?
10. What leads Emilienne to call the police in Chapter 23? Where does she send the police when she calls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the supernatural elements in The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. How does the narrator explain the strange phenomena that takes place in the story? How is Ava’s lineage related to the supernatural?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Fatima Ines de Dores in the novel. How old is Fatima when she goes to live with her brother? Where does she arrive from? How does the author describe Fatima’s characteristics and behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of the Roux family (with the exception of Emilienne). How old are each of Emilienne’s siblings when her family immigrates to the U.S.? How does the narrator describe the relationships within the Roux family? Is the family close?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)