|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fatima Ines de Dores is said to be of what descent in Chapter 2?
2. In the community of Pinnacle Lane, Emilienne is perceived by her neighbors to be what during her first year there?
3. In what year do Ava and Henry turn fifteen in Chapter 12?
4. How old is Gabe when his mother is killed in Chapter 7?
5. Who is the author of the journal entry that concludes Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the onset of World War II affect the Griffith home in Chapter 5?
2. How would you describe the narrative style of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
3. What happened to Emilienne Roux’s father in 1915, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What does Wilhelmina do the first two times she comes to Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 3?
5. What causes Marigold Pie’s sister to send her son to live with Widow Pie in Chapter 12?
6. How does Ava describe her birth in the novel’s Prologue? When and where was Ava born?
7. How is the character of John Griffith described in Chapter 5? How does John Griffith feel about Emilienne?
8. Where did Emilienne’s family move when she was eight, according to the narrator in Chapter 1? Why?
9. How does Ava describe Marigold Pie prior to her sweets addiction in Chapter 12?
10. What does Ava say she wishes and wonders about her mother when she was young in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Marigold Pie in the novel. When Marigold Pie is introduced, how much does she weigh? How does Marigold Pie’s behavior and appearance change once she begins eating sweets compulsively? How does Marigold’s sister respond to the changes in Marigold?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Nathaniel Sorrows in the novel. Based on Nathaniel’s diary entries, how does he feel about the strange creature he saw when he arrived at his aunt’s home? How does Nathaniel’s obsession with Ava begin? What happens to Nathaniel at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Ava Lavender as the protagonist and narrator of the novel. How would you describe Ava’s personality as a child? How are Ava’s wings described? What size and color are her wings? How does Ava’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)