|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year do Ava and Henry turn fifteen in Chapter 12?
2. What creatures does the narrator describe Fatima Ines de Dores keeping as pets in Chapter 2?
3. The narrator says of Viviane in Chapter 4, “As a toddler, she could easily whip up a batch of” what desserts?
4. Who visits Viviane and brings gifts for her children when they are two years old, saying to Viviane, “You shouldn’t have to do this alone”?
5. From what narrative perspective is The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender related?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the death of Gabe’s mother in Chapter 7? How old is Gabe at this time?
2. Where is Jack intending to attend school in Chapter 6? How does Jack feel about his prospects?
3. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
4. What was known by the community regarding the parentage of Viviane’s children, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
5. What causes Marigold Pie’s sister to send her son to live with Widow Pie in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Viviane not pursue her ambitions as a stewardess in Chapter 8?
7. How does Ava describe Marigold Pie prior to her sweets addiction in Chapter 12?
8. How is the relationship between Fatima Ines de Dores and her brother described in Chapter 2?
9. How does the community of Pinnacle Lane respond to the death of Connor Lavender in Chapter 3?
10. On what holiday does Chapter 7 begin? How does the narrator describe the relationship between Jack and Viviane at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jack Griffith’s plans for the future and his perspective of his situation in Chapter 6. Why does Jack feel like a failure because he’s planning to attend college as opposed to fighting in the war? How does Viviane view Jack’s circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Ava Lavender as the protagonist and narrator of the novel. How would you describe Ava’s personality as a child? How are Ava’s wings described? What size and color are her wings? How does Ava’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Cardigan Cooper in the novel. How old is Cardigan when she and Ava first become best friends? How does Cardigan view Ava’s wings? How does their friendship evolve as the girls grow older?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)