|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes Viviane in Chapter 4 as instigating a neighborhood rivalry with the kids from what area?
2. Throughout the novel, Ava Lavender expresses her concerns and obsessions with what concept and its role in her life?
3. What word does Ava say Henry uses for “good” in Chapter 11?
4. What term from the novel refers to the railed rooftop platform frequently found on 19th century North American coastal houses?
5. What is the name of Marigold Pie’s sister that comes to visit her once she’s become obese in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilhelmina do the first two times she comes to Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 3?
2. What causes Viviane to become concerned for Ava’s safety in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What causes Marigold Pie’s sister to send her son to live with Widow Pie in Chapter 12?
4. Who brings gifts to Ava and Henry when they are two? What happens to this character?
5. How is the character of Wilhelmina Dovewolf described in Chapter 3? How old is Wilhelmina when she arrives at Pinnacle Lane?
6. Where are Jack and Viviane in the beginning of Chapter 6? How old are they in the beginning of the chapter?
7. Where is Jack intending to attend school in Chapter 6? How does Jack feel about his prospects?
8. What occurrences does the narrator describe happening to Viviane when she is seven years old in Chapter 4?
9. What does Ava say she wishes and wonders about her mother when she was young in Chapter 4?
10. How does the community of Pinnacle Lane respond to the death of Connor Lavender in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the causes, diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment for autism spectrum disorder. When do children with autism begin to exhibit signs of the disorder? How does autism affect speech and communication skills? In what ways are Henry’s behaviors in the novel exhibitive of autism spectrum disorder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of motherhood in the novel. How would you compare Emilienne as a mother to Mrs. Beauregard Roux? What circumstances have influenced Emilienne’s capacities as a mother? How does Viviane differ as a mother in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jack Griffith’s plans for the future and his perspective of his situation in Chapter 6. Why does Jack feel like a failure because he’s planning to attend college as opposed to fighting in the war? How does Viviane view Jack’s circumstances?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)