|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes Gabe’s mother as having told him she was of what descent in Chapter 7?
2. How old is Viviane when she finds the white dress that resembles a child-size wedding gown in a closet in the house in Chapter 4?
3. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s feelings for Emilienne Lavender in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Where has Viviane taken a job in the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Throughout the novel, Ava Lavender expresses her concerns and obsessions with what concept and its role in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Viviane not pursue her ambitions as a stewardess in Chapter 8?
2. What was known by the community regarding the parentage of Viviane’s children, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
3. Where did Emilienne’s family move when she was eight, according to the narrator in Chapter 1? Why?
4. How does Ava describe her birth in the novel’s Prologue? When and where was Ava born?
5. How is the relationship between Fatima Ines de Dores and her brother described in Chapter 2?
6. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
7. How does the narrator introduce the character of Emilienne Roux in Chapter 1? When was Emilienne born?
8. What happened to Emilienne Roux’s father in 1915, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
9. Where has Viviane begun working in Chapter 8? Why? Whom does the narrator describe Viviane first encountering at her job in the chapter?
10. How does the community of Pinnacle Lane respond to the death of Connor Lavender in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Griffith’s transformation in Chapter 10. What trigger causes John Griffith to change? How does he change? What does John Griffith say to Emilienne when he visits the bakery in Chapter 10? How does Emilienne respond?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Jack Griffith in the narrative. How old is Jack when Viviane first meets him? How does the narrator describe their friendship throughout childhood? How does Jack’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Cardigan Cooper in the novel. How old is Cardigan when she and Ava first become best friends? How does Cardigan view Ava’s wings? How does their friendship evolve as the girls grow older?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)