|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jack Griffith going to move to attend college in Chapter 6?
2. Jack suggests to Emilienne in the conclusion of Chapter 5 that perhaps his father would not hate him so much if what were the case?
3. How old is Wilhelmina when she first appears in Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 3?
4. Throughout the novel, Ava Lavender expresses her concerns and obsessions with what concept and its role in her life?
5. Who asks Viviane what she’s going to do now that Jack is marrying someone else in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ava describe Marigold Pie prior to her sweets addiction in Chapter 12?
2. What happened to Emilienne Roux’s father in 1915, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
4. What uncommon phrases does Henry begin repeating in Chapter 13? Why?
5. How does the narrator describe the death of Gabe’s mother in Chapter 7? How old is Gabe at this time?
6. What causes Viviane to become concerned for Ava’s safety in the beginning of Chapter 13?
7. What causes Marigold Pie’s sister to send her son to live with Widow Pie in Chapter 12?
8. When does Chapter 9 begin? How is Viviane’s condition described in the beginning of the chapter?
9. How does the community of Pinnacle Lane respond to the death of Connor Lavender in Chapter 3?
10. How would you describe the narrative style of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of the novel. Is the narrative related from a first, second, or third-person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What effects does each of these authorial choices have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The character of John Griffith in the novel. How does Ava describe John’s feelings regarding Emilienne Lavender in Chapter 5? What can you discern of John’s character based on his behavior toward his wife and son? How does John Griffith change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Gabe’s and Viviane’s differences in their viewpoints of how to raise Henry and Ava. Do you agree with Viviane that the children are best cared for at home and protected from the outside world? Why or why not?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)