|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amisha's mother-in-law's name?
2. Why is Amisha sick in Chapter 8?
3. Who attended Deepak's funeral?
4. What does Chara say about daughters?
5. For what does Amisha silently wish before Vishnu in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first story of Neema's that Amisha reads?
2. How did Jaya upset her mother when Jaya was 12 years old?
3. How does Amisha tell Stephen that Indians celebrate Navaratri?
4. What spices do Jaya and Ravi use when they cook together at Ravi's home?
5. Why must Jaya and Patrick wait another year to have a child?
6. How does the head teacher, Miss Roberts, treat Amisha?
7. What is Amisha's dowry when she gets married?
8. What writing prompt does Amisha give her class on her first day as a teacher?
9. Why did Chara become kinder to Amisha before dying?
10. How did Ravi learn to speak English?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jaya is convinced that she and Patrick will be happy when they have a child. How does Jaya's perspective change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you analyze where and how the caste system is a source of tension. Cite specific instances of the text in support of your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining Amisha's attitude toward her own writing. What does writing give to Amisha, and what is Amisha's reaction to her own writing? Does this attitude change throughout the novel? Include how and why her attitude changes throughout the novel. Cite specifics portions of the text to support your answer.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)