|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sujata think of the British?
2. What did Jaya's mother want her to be a doctor?
3. To what statue does Amisha pray in Chapter 13?
4. What does Deepak remember about Amisha during their wedding?
5. What is Chara's friend surprised by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the contents of Amisha's Christmas gift to Stephen?
2. Why did Jaya's mother take her bike away when Jaya was a child?
3. What does Jaya announce to her mother in Chapter 27?
4. Where does Amisha suggest that Stephen take his mother?
5. What is the significance of the "bindi" in Indian culture?
6. What spices do Jaya and Ravi use when they cook together at Ravi's home?
7. Why does Chara want to end Amisha's marriage to Deepak?
8. Where do Jaya's parents live?
9. What is the first story of Neema's that Amisha reads?
10. What is Jaya's reaction to Ravi's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the novel. How does the title support the overall plot and set the tone for the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing how Jaya's sense of self changes throughout the novel. What external events cause her sense of self-worth and/or self-confidence to change? Locate particular instances in the test to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Jaya frequently mentions that her mother is distant. Write an essay in which you examine how Lena's upbringing affected her disposition. Use evidence from throughout the text to support your analysis.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)