|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Leo do after Minka told her story and Sage sat with her as she went to sleep?
2. How many Jews lived in the Jewish town where Minka and her family had to go?
3. When Sage is at the cafe in Westerbrook with Leo, how many times has she seen Shannon in person?
4. When did the chief of police post a list of streets where Jews were allowed to live?
5. Who wrote "The Lorelei"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Josef's first choice to ask to kill him?
2. How did Minka die?
3. What does Adam want when he comes bringing Sage lilies?
4. Why did an autograph album make Darija cry while she was working in Kanada?
5. In Section 7, why does Sage want to borrow the kitchen at the bakery?
6. What does Leo notice about the way Sage acts around her sisters?
7. What was a Donestre?
8. Why didn't Minka mind living in the ghetto at first?
9. What does Leo tell people who come up to him and Sage after the service at the Synagogue?
10. Why does Josef say that Auschwitz was a good assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sage cannot understand how Josef has lived as a normal person after all he has done. Does Josef believe he is a normal person? Has he successfully lived as one?
Essay Topic 2
Although Sage is a young woman, she matures and grows up in the novel. How did Sage grow up and mature throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In a way both Aleks and Casimir had lost their humanity. How much of his humanity did Aleks still retain?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)