|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spencer define as the subjective accompaniment of mechanically evolved nerve processes?
2. What effect does Immanuel Kant's work have when it is published in 1781?
(a) saves religion from extinction
(b) does away with the need for philosophy
(c) defies scientific logic
(d) shocks and upsets the philosophic world
3. What does Bergson see as active forces in evolution?
(a) work and leisure
(b) opportunity and conditionality
(c) time and space
(d) impulse and desire
4. What causes Bergson to become a famous popular philosopher?
(a) his winning the Nobel Prize
(b) his world travels and lectures
(c) his work, Creative Evolution
(d) his denouncement of Darwin
5. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
(a) recognizing that nations do not share altruism
(b) recognizing that nations are not autonimous.
(c) recognizing that nations have different philosophies
(d) recognizing that nations now aid one another
Short Answer Questions
1. What concept does Spencer share with Schopenhauer?
2. How does Schopenhauer say people rationalize the things they acquire?
3. What does Spencer affirm that needs centralization, government power, apathy and individual subordination?
4. What does Nietzsche he write about in Thus Spake Zarathustra?
5. Without what does Kant say sensations cannot become perceptions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kant's sequential order of knowledge leading up to an organized life.
2. Analyzing religious ideas in First Principles, what does Spencer conclude?
3. Describe the two periods of Bertram Russell's philosophical life.
4. What is the value Kant sees of the Bible and the churches?
5. Define the difference between the study of science and the study of social studies and political affairs.
6. How does Nietzsche show his attitude toward religion?
7. What is the implication of Schopenhauer's claim that the world is his idea in his book, The World as Will and Idea?
8. In his The Critique of Pure Reason how does Kant say knowledge comes?
9. How does Schopenhauer's philosophy sound like modern merchandising?
10. How is Immanuel Kant's work burst on the European consciousness?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)