|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bold denial of Kant's is based on reduction of religion to moral faith and hope?
(a) the denial of inspired theology
(b) the denial of rational theology
(c) the denial of pantheology
(d) the denial of logical theology
2. How does Schopenhauer say people rationalize the things they acquire?
(a) a need to keep current in a changing world
(b) only wanting things that have a built in reason
(c) reasons are manufactured to suit the climate
(d) reasons are found after getting what is wanted or willed
3. In what work does Spencer freely express his best ideas with suggestive generalization and political philosophy?
(a) The Evolution of Mind
(b) The Evolution of Thought
(c) The Evolution of Society
(d) The Evolution of Life
4. Where does Spencer say that Religion is central?
(a) in the life of advanced civilization
(b) in the life of clerics
(c) in the life of primitive civilization
(d) in the life of rural communities
5. What, according to Schopenhauer, is the only way to convince someone?
(a) appealing to self-interest
(b) applying force
(c) appealing to reason
(d) applying philosophy
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mission is it to save religion from reason and science from skepticism?
2. What method does Kant use to remind theology that substance, cause, and necessity are finite categories?
3. What does Bergson uphold that is distinct from the organism, but is limited by its characteristics?
4. What does Spencer affirm that needs centralization, government power, apathy and individual subordination?
5. What does Spencer label as the art of methodical self-confusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Immanuel Kant's work burst on the European consciousness?
2. Define the contrast between Bergson and Croce.
3. What is the implication of Schopenhauer's claim that the world is his idea in his book, The World as Will and Idea?
4. Describe Kant's sequential order of knowledge leading up to an organized life.
5. Describe Schopenhauer's views of youth and old age.
6. How does Kant respond after reading Berkeley, Hume, and Rousseau?
7. How does Schopenhauer's philosophy sound like modern merchandising?
8. What does Nietzsche's first and only completed book prove?
9. Describe briefly Spencer's definition of life.
10. What select group is Schopenhauer included in during the first half of the 19th century?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)