|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Historically, what is an attempt to discover and explain the ultimate nature of reality?
2. What does Nietzsche claim causes fulfillment of woman and narrowing of man?
(d) charitable deeds
3. To what does Spencer conclude the same principles of evolution in biology also apply?
(a) all sciences
4. What does Bergson uphold that is distinct from the organism, but is limited by its characteristics?
5. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
(a) recognizing that nations do not share altruism
(b) recognizing that nations have different philosophies
(c) recognizing that nations now aid one another
(d) recognizing that nations are not autonimous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What early 19th century philosopher is included in a group of pessimists, poets and composers considered the voices of the age?
2. What does Nietzsche he write about in Thus Spake Zarathustra?
3. Instead of God and heaven, what does Spencer define as life?
4. What does Spencer call a rationalizing myth for belief that defies conception?
5. What are the second and third volumes of Spencer's work in 1872?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Immanuel Kant's work burst on the European consciousness?
2. How does Schopenhauer illustrate, along with Aristotle, that the power of will drives plants, animals and man?
3. What is the value Kant sees of the Bible and the churches?
4. Describe Kant's sequential order of knowledge leading up to an organized life.
5. Describe the two periods of Bertram Russell's philosophical life.
6. How does Spencer see his fame?
7. Describe briefly Spencer's definition of life.
8. How does Kant's work ironically work against his stated aim?
9. Define the difference between the study of science and the study of social studies and political affairs.
10. How does Kant respond after reading Berkeley, Hume, and Rousseau?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)