|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The recovery center where Jared goes after he leaves the hospital is in what country?
2. B says when population is increased, it is necessary to increase what?
3. What medical condition does Jared have at the beginning of Part Three?
4. What does B say is the origin of the world's population explosion?
5. According to B's lecture, "The Great Forgetting," who is the author of "Principia"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does B say an increase in food production will not help the millions that are starving in the world?
2. How does B draw a parallel between Eastern and Western cultures?
3. How does B explain how population increased since Homo sapiens first appeared on the earth?
4. What happens when Jared smashes his ammonite fossil?
5. Why does Jared rush to put B's teachings in his diary?
6. Why does B say it is not necessary to change mankind to survive?
7. Why does Jared flee the Company Farm?
8. What does B say caused the advent of Judaism, Brahmanism, Hinduism, Shintoism, and Buddhism?
9. Why is the date for the first entry in section three unknown?
10. In B's metaphor about boiling a frog, when does he say the water first begins to heat up for Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of the Antichrist in the novel. What is the Antichrist? What role does the Antichrist play in the novel? What is the significance of this concept? What point do you think the author is trying to make through the presence of the Antichrist in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concept of being B. Who in the book becomes B? How can more than one person be B? What makes someone transform into B? Do you think becoming B is a choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Shirin's role as B. How does she become B? Why do you think she takes over? How does her version of B differ from Charles's? How does it stay the same? What seems to be her function in the narrative?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)