|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does B give his lecture, "The Collapse of Values"?
2. In what city does B give the lecture, "The Great Forgetting"?
3. According to B's lecture, "The Great Forgetting," who is the author of "De revolutionibus orbium coelestium"?
4. What group of people does B say has been destroyed by the new culture's way of doing things?
5. When does B say the age of war began?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jared reply when Albrecht sneeringly asks if he is now B when they think Shirin is dead?
2. Why does Jared speak directly to his reader in the epilogue?
3. Why, according to the lecture, The Great Forgetting, can one can offer to show someone how to be saved and be understood anywhere in the world?
4. In what manner does B teach about population?
5. Why does B argue with what people in the 1950s said about Man and his place in the scheme of things?
6. In B's metaphor about boiling a frog, when does he say the water first begins to heat up for Man?
7. Why does B believe the Agricultural Revolution caused problems for mankind?
8. Even though B says cultural collapse is occurring, what does he say the good news is?
9. What happens when Jared smashes his ammonite fossil?
10. In B's metaphor about boiling a frog, when does he say the water begins to boil for Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jared's transformation into B. How does it take place? What reaction does he receive from others who can sense he will soon become B? Why do you think the author chooses to make Jared become B?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book Shirin and Charles tell Jared stories and present him with analogies. List two of these instances and explain their significance to the book and to B's message. What do these stories represent? Why do Shirin and Charles teach this way?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Jared's initial reaction when he hears Charles's lecture. What does he think of the message? Why does the lecture upset him? What does he seem to think of Charles?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)