|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. B says what word is understood anywhere in the world?
2. On what date is B's "The Great Forgetting" lecture presented?
3. What does B say is the first global salvationist religion?
4. B says from 1200 to 1700, man was faced with what kind of hordes?
5. B says from 1200 to 1700, man was faced with what plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though B says cultural collapse is occurring, what does he say the good news is?
2. In what manner does B teach about population?
3. What happens when Jared smashes his ammonite fossil?
4. How does Albrecht react when Jared says war is an accomplishment of the modern culture?
5. What is The Great Forgetting?
6. In his May 31 entry, why does Jared say he cannot call Germany and make sure Shirin and Michael are all right?
7. In B's metaphor about boiling a frog, when does he say the water first begins to heat up for Man?
8. Why does Jared rush to put B's teachings in his diary?
9. What does B say about individual cultures and their place in the scheme of things?
10. How does Jared lose the tapes he had recorded of B's lectures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jared's sense of dedication to Charles. Why do you think he allows Charles to become his teacher? What is the significance of the fact that Jared lies to Lulfre about his dealings with Charles? What do you think this says about Jared? What might it say about Charles?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Shirin's role as B. How does she become B? Why do you think she takes over? How does her version of B differ from Charles's? How does it stay the same? What seems to be her function in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of the Antichrist in the novel. What is the Antichrist? What role does the Antichrist play in the novel? What is the significance of this concept? What point do you think the author is trying to make through the presence of the Antichrist in the novel?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)