|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jared's doctor at the recovery center?
2. B says from 1200 to 1700, man was faced with what kind of hordes?
3. What does B say is the first global salvationist religion?
4. B says from 1200 to 1700, man was faced with what plague?
5. What is the name of the recovery center where Jared goes after he leaves the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jared visits Lulfre after fleeing the Company Farm?
2. In B's metaphor about boiling a frog, when does he say the water first begins to heat up for Man?
3. How does B draw a comparison between a frog and Man?
4. Why does B say it is not necessary to change mankind to survive?
5. Why does B say an increase in food production will not help the millions that are starving in the world?
6. Why is the date for the first entry in section three unknown?
7. How does B explain how population increased since Homo sapiens first appeared on the earth?
8. How does Jared reply when Albrecht sneeringly asks if he is now B when they think Shirin is dead?
9. Why does Jared speak directly to his reader in the epilogue?
10. Why does Jared flee the Company Farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of the bricolage Shirin uses to teach Jared. What is the basic concept of Shirin's bricolage? Why does she construct it? How does she plan to use it to teach Jared? Discuss the role of each part of the bricolage.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the way the novel uses foreshadowing. List three instances in which foreshadowing is used and explain their significance to the rest of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of the Antichrist in the novel. What is the Antichrist? What role does the Antichrist play in the novel? What is the significance of this concept? What point do you think the author is trying to make through the presence of the Antichrist in the novel?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)