|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Jared begins his May 20 journal entry?
2. Why does Jared think Charles is trying to get his attention during the second lecture he attends?
3. What is Jared's occupation?
4. To what continent does Lulfre send Jared?
5. Who owns the shop where Charles buys Jared a fossil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the story of the Imperial Chill, as Jared understands it from B's lecture?
2. In what way do Takers see the world, according to B?
3. What does B say happened when mankind became hunters?
4. What do the pieces in Shirin's bricolage represent?
5. What is the tale of the weavers that B tells?
6. What does B say to Jared about the lunacy within individual cultures?
7. Describe the anonymous phone call Jared receives at his hotel room after he hears Charles give a lecture for the first time.
8. How does Jared answer when Shirin asks him why he has come to see B and his lectures?
9. How does Jared feel after he hears Charles give a lecture for the first time?
10. Why does Shirin, now B, cry to Jared in the May 24 (2 a.m.) entry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of the bricolage Shirin uses to teach Jared. What is the basic concept of Shirin's bricolage? Why does she construct it? How does she plan to use it to teach Jared? Discuss the role of each part of the bricolage.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of the Great Forgetting and the Great Remembering. What are these instances? What does B believe needs to happen regarding these concepts? How do these concepts relate to B's desire to save the world? What is he trying to undo?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of the Antichrist in the novel. What is the Antichrist? What role does the Antichrist play in the novel? What is the significance of this concept? What point do you think the author is trying to make through the presence of the Antichrist in the novel?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)