|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles tells Jared a story in which the master has how many sets of teachings?
2. What kind of car does Shirin drive?
3. What new item does Jared say he has obtained at the beginning of his May 20 diary entry?
4. What is the name for people who see the gods as the strange force that animates a place?
5. Charles says a maieutic teacher acts as what for his pupils?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jared answer when Shirin asks him why he has come to see B and his lectures?
2. What does B say happened when mankind became hunters?
3. What does B tell Jared about St. Paul?
4. What does Jared find a crowd doing the second time he goes to hear Charles speak?
5. How does Jared feel after he hears Charles give a lecture for the first time?
6. What does B mean when he says he wants to save the world?
7. Why does Shirin say she is B at the end of the May 23 entry?
8. In what way do Takers see the world, according to B?
9. Describe the bricolage that Shirin makes for Jared as they walk through the park?
10. What happens when B and Jared visit "Meyer-Uberbleibselen" together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jared's sense of dedication to Charles. Why do you think he allows Charles to become his teacher? What is the significance of the fact that Jared lies to Lulfre about his dealings with Charles? What do you think this says about Jared? What might it say about Charles?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Charles's plan for Jared. Why does Charles want to teach Jared? What types of things does he want to teach him? What method does he plan to use to teach Jared? What seems to be his overall goal for Jared?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Jared's wavering sense of faith in his religion throughout the novel. When does he begin to doubt his faith? When does he finally admit that he has lost it? What is the significance of Jared, a priest, losing his faith after hearing B speak? What point do you think he might be trying to make?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)