|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank call Lucille in Section 3?
2. What time does Arthur start his day at the beginning of Section 4?
3. What picture doe Arthur leave in Maddy's room?
4. What does Arthur whittle for the baby in Section 4?
5. What snack does Lucille offer Maddy when she barges into her room in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maddy cry to Arthur about in Section 4?
2. How does Lucille's first baking class go in Section 3?
3. What is Lucille's house like, in Section 3, when Arthur brings her over a plate of food?
4. What does Maddy say about death, to Arthur, in Section 4?
5. How does Lucille feel about Maddy once she meets her in Section 3?
6. How does Maddy feel when Arthur tells her, in Section 4, that he has asked Lucille to move in with them?
7. How does Arthur indicate that he is ready for death in Section 4?
8. How do Lucille, Maddy, and Arthur react to the changing weather from summer to fall?
9. What is discussed between Steven and Arthur in Section 3?
10. What happens to Frank at the start of Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Maddy's trauma in the novel. What does she go through and how does this shape her as a person?
Essay Topic 2
What do cemeteries symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the themes of loss and death in the novel. Select two characters and analyze how this theme impacts their development.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)