|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objects to Freeleigh's plan in "Calling Mexico?"
2. How old is the boy?
3. What makes the woman scream?
4. What is the name of the doomed man?
5. What are the names of the husband and wife in "The Strawberry Window?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Tyrannosaurus Rex" a movie producer hires a modeler to create a stop-motion dinosaur. What is the unusual outcome of the project?
2. What is the irony involved in "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed?"
3. Why is Joseph resentful toward Marie in "Interval in Sunlight?"
4. In the story "The Aqueduct" how does a third party benefit from a war between two other nations?
5. Who uses "The Black Ferris" as a means of manipulation? How and why is this feat enacted?
6. Discuss the life span of the characters in "Frost and Fire" and why it is unusual.
7. What is the story of the main character in "The Illustrated Woman?"
8. What is the purpose of the exhumations in "The Tombling Day?" What happens to one of the bodies?
9. Tell the story of Margot in "All Summer in a Day."
10. What is the plan put into motion by Doug in "The Utterly Perfect Murder?" What is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several stories that contain seemingly implausible scenarios. One excellent example can be found in "The Scythe." Where do you think Bradbury got the idea to turn Erickson into the Grim Reaper? What could happen that might cause the event to occur? How did Erickson deal with his disbelief? How did the knowledge of being the Grim Reaper affect Erickson mentally and emotionally? What other implausible stories are there? How does Bradbury make them believable? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bradbury tends to use the emotion of fear in many of his stories. Why? How does fear challenge a person? How does fear change the way a person acts and thinks? Do the aliens in the stories always play on a person's fear? Do people tend to make situations worse when they act through fear? Explain. Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is Bradbury's fascination with aliens including Martians and Venusians along with the planets themselves? Consider the time period in which each alien story was written. Compare and contrast the aliens from the stories with aliens seen most often in today's popular culture.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)