|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in "The Emissary?"
2. How old is the man's young son?
3. What causes the boy to think he is invisible?
4. What is the name of the widower in "The Playground?"
5. What is the name of the batman that lives in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot of the story "The Fog Horn."
2. "Hail and Farewell" tells the story of William, a twelve-year old boy who does not age. Discuss William's unique situation and his solution to the problem of where to live.
3. Who presents a solution to Harris? What is the solution? Does Harris take the advice?
4. What happens to Hollis during his free fall in space? How does the story end for Hollis?
5. In "The Playground" Charles Underhill objects when his sister Carol wants to take Charles' three-year-old son Jim to a playground. Why does Charles object? What is the outcome of the story?
6. In "There Will Come Soft Rains" a metropolitan area has been destroyed. What happened to the area? What is left behind?
7. How does the Erickson family come across the farmhouse? How do they claim the old house?
8. What is the problem with the new resident in "The Man Upstairs?" How is the problem resolved?
9. In "A Sound of Thunder" several people take a trip. Who goes on the trip? What is the purpose of the trip? What negative occurrence happens during the trip?
10. In "Mars Is Heaven" one of the characters is suspicious of the happenings in an Earth-like village. Who is the character and what causes the character to be distracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a comparison of the stories contained within the book to the productions in the Ray Bradbury Theater as well as full length feature films. Do the films and plays live up to Bradbury's writing and visions. Explain similarities, differences, and explain your preferences.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Bradbury's early works played upon the fears of the public, particularly when it came to the unknowns of outer space. Discuss Bradbury's methods. Investigate what was known about the other planets at the time the majority of the stories were written. How else might Bradbury approach the subject? How do you think Bradbury's views have changed? Have the stories stood the test of time?
Essay Topic 3
Bradbury uses several characters in more than one story. For example, Uncle Einar appears in two stories, as does Ceci/Cecy. Why does Bradbury do it? Do the repeated references help with the characterization? Do you think Bradbury simply ran out of ideas for characters? Do you like repetitive characters in the stories? Choose one of the characters and write a second short story based on the previous tale.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)