|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Water meets?
2. What is the name of the boy in "The Invisible Boy?"
3. What is the name of the family's psychologist?
4. What type of pet is kept by the boy?
5. What is the name of the family in "The Veldt?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation of the main character in "The Emissary."
2. "The Big Black and White Game" tells a story about a segregated baseball game. Describe the players on each team.
3. What are the marital issues for Smith and Braling in "Marionettes, Inc.?" What is the solution chosen by the two men?
4. What is the purpose of Benjy's visit in "The Great Wide World over There?"
5. In "The Last Night of the World" several people have the same dream. What is the dream and what is the combined reaction of the people?
6. What is the cause of family tension in the story "The Rocket Man?"
7. Describe the main plot of "The Coffin."
8. Who presents a solution to Harris? What is the solution? Does Harris take the advice?
9. What does Father Peregrine discover when he examines the morality of the Martians?
10. In "There Will Come Soft Rains" a metropolitan area has been destroyed. What happened to the area? What is left behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a comparison of the stories contained within the book to the productions in the Ray Bradbury Theater as well as full length feature films. Do the films and plays live up to Bradbury's writing and visions. Explain similarities, differences, and explain your preferences.
Essay Topic 2
In various stories Bradbury uses a background story of a space ship that has somehow become inoperable for some reason. Explain why this is a convenient way to explain the presence of aliens on another planet. Explain in detail Bradbury's reasons for the downed space craft and why they may not be able to be repaired. In the case of "Frost and Fire" the space ship repair was relatively easy. Explain how Bradbury may make a different use of the space ship.
Essay Topic 3
Write full and detailed character descriptions of five of Bradbury's main characters. Compare and contrast their personalities and how they react under pressure. How are they alike? What are the biggest differences?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)