|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to popular opinion as mentioned by the author in Chapter 4, who is the person represented in the center of "Universal Deluge"?
2. What famous explorer consulted with Toscanelli?
3. According to Chapter 6, what color is prominent in the paintings of the "springtime painters"?
4. Who painted "Stories of Saint Peter and Original Sin"?
5. Who wrote the instructional booklet Della Pittura?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the origin of the phrase "as round as Giotto's O."
2. How did Donatello influence Padua?
3. Describe the appearance of Donna Maria Ciliego.
4. Explain the author's meaning in her assertion that Florentine painting "had a sweet tooth."
5. How did the Florentines feel about antiquity?
6. Summarize the exchange between Donatello and Brunelleschi regarding the crucifix.
7. Describe the event that occurred in 1304 to make the Florentines believe judgment was near.
8. Describe how Brunelleschi won the right to build the cupola of the Duomo.
9. Describe the month of May in Florence.
10. What is the color scheme of the "springtime" painters? Give one example of its use.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique the author's writing style and technique in describing the Duomo.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character and work of Paolo Uccello, including his greatest work, the Universal Deluge.
Essay Topic 3
Provide an overview of medieval Florentine culture, giving an example for each trait that you name, as well as counterexamples whenever possible.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)