|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 4, what novel contains a painting as the antagonist?
2. According to Chapter 5, what is the main characteristic of Florentine art?
3. Whom does the author cite as building on the artistic endeavors of Uccello and Piero della Francisca?
4. In the author's opinion, the work of which artist achieves Plato's ideal forms?
5. What disease did the Medicis commonly suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paolo di Dono earn his nickname?
2. Summarize the exchange between Donatello and Brunelleschi regarding the crucifix.
3. How did the Florentines feel about antiquity?
4. How did Donatello influence Padua?
5. Explain what the hymn "Crazy for Jesus" says about Florentine culture.
6. What were the ramifications for an artist who became a Piagnone?
7. Summarize the exceptional nature of the fresco of the Annunciation in Santissima Annunziata.
8. Describe some of the characteristics of the Medicis.
9. Describe Uccello's greatest fresco.
10. Briefly describe the modern Tuscan countryside, as discussed in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between painting and sculpture in Florence, including what each medium was used for and what each medium signified to the people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Florence as the birthplace of the Renaissance, citing examples and offering explanations wherever possible. Then, offer your thoughts on whether the author's assertion that visitors to Florence implicitly blame the city for bringing about the knowledge that led to World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two Florentine artists, and discuss in detail the way the Florentine trait of "simplicity of life" guided their work and their personal lives.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)