|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created the Duomo?
2. What church replaced the Santa Reparata?
3. Who wrote the poem "Ode to the West Wind"?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 5, what did Donatello and Brunelleschi plan to have for lunch one day?
5. What artist is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the exchange between Donatello and Brunelleschi regarding the crucifix.
2. Why did Machiavelli favor an army composed of citizens?
3. Summarize Brunelleschi's prank on the woodworker.
4. Why was Andrea del Castagno thought to be evil?
5. Compare the work of Brunelleschi to Greek philosophy.
6. Explain what the hymn "Crazy for Jesus" says about Florentine culture.
7. Explain the author's meaning in her assertion that Florentine painting "had a sweet tooth."
8. Describe the event that occurred in 1304 to make the Florentines believe judgment was near.
9. Summarize the love story of Maria and Michael Dagomari.
10. Name some of the ways in which Florence unleashed original ideas on the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the causes and effects of the defeat of the Republic.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic value of the Florentine tower.
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed description of the setting of modern Florence, and compare and contrast that setting with another city that the book discusses.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)