|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lorenzino de' Medici's nickname?
2. Where was "The Battle of San Romano" originally housed?
3. Whom does the author call "the resident humanist in the Medici household"?
4. According to the author in Chapter 4, what artistic idea did the Venetians learn from the Florentines?
5. Who wrote the poem "Ode to the West Wind"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Andrea del Castagno thought to be evil?
2. Summarize the love story of Maria and Michael Dagomari.
3. Compare the work of Brunelleschi to Greek philosophy.
4. How did Donatello influence Padua?
5. Describe the origin of the phrase "as round as Giotto's O."
6. Describe the operation and purpose of the gnomon in the Duomo.
7. Describe the event that occurred in 1304 to make the Florentines believe judgment was near.
8. Summarize Brunelleschi's prank on the woodworker.
9. Describe how Brunelleschi won the right to build the cupola of the Duomo.
10. What is the color scheme of the "springtime" painters? Give one example of its use.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic value of the Florentine tower.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between science and art in the early Renaissance in Florence, including mention of some of the main artists and works of art involved.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the causes and effects of the defeat of the Republic.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)