|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the battle of Pistoria take place?
2. Who is buried in the Badia, an abbey?
3. According to Chapter 1, how much did the piece of masonry that fell from the National Library weigh?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 1, what injury was suffered by the woman who was hit by two bicycles?
5. Whom does the character Fiorino emulate?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 1, what is the tourist's reaction to Florence? Why?
2. Describe the typical interior and exterior of Florence palaces.
3. Why does the author describe Florence in Chapter 1 as a "city of extremes"?
4. Compare Pistoia in the medieval period to Pistoia in the twentieth century.
5. Why is sculpture part of "the very fabric of the city" of Florence, as the author asserts in Chapter 2?
6. Summarize some of the antics of Lorenzino de' Medici.
7. Where is the religious imagery in the city kept, and what does that imagery depict?
8. Explain the word "harangue" and its presence in the lives of the Florentine people.
9. Summarize the story of the founding of Florence, as discussed in the beginning of Chapter 2.
10. Describe the weather in Florence in summer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critique the author's writing style and technique in describing the Duomo.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the "springtime" and the "autumnal" painters.
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed description of the setting of modern Florence, and compare and contrast that setting with another city that the book discusses.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)