|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structure in the Piazza della Republica celebrates progress?
2. Where did the feud between the Blacks and the Whites begin?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 3, what does the surname "Bevisangue" mean?
4. To what city is Florence compared in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What is Donatello's statue of John the Baptist as a boy called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Saint Peter Martyr do that dramatically affected Florence?
2. Why does the author describe Florence in Chapter 1 as a "city of extremes"?
3. Describe what happens to tourists who enter a church to look at the paintings.
4. Explain the word "harangue" and its presence in the lives of the Florentine people.
5. Summarize the story of the founding of Florence, as discussed in the beginning of Chapter 2.
6. Compare Pistoia in the medieval period to Pistoia in the twentieth century.
7. Why does the author describe Florence as a "manly town" in Chapter 1?
8. Summarize some of the antics of Lorenzino de' Medici.
9. Summarize the incidents that began the war between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines.
10. Describe the weather in Florence in summer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Florence's relationship with its history. How does that relationship differ from the relationship that other Italian cities have with their history? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between science and art in the early Renaissance in Florence, including mention of some of the main artists and works of art involved.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Guelph and Ghibelline division and how it affected the culture and appearance of Tuscany.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)