|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the author cite as building on the artistic endeavors of Uccello and Piero della Francisca?
(a) Jackson Pollock.
(b) Andy Warhol.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Vincent van Gogh.
2. Which Florentine does the author describe as a "zoophile"?
3. Whom does the author describe in Chapter 6 as a "tame, cruel housemouser"?
(b) Cosimo I.
(d) Lorenzo de' Medici.
4. To whom did Petrarch write his love sonnets?
5. What disease did the Medicis commonly suffer?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 4, what artistic idea did the Venetians learn from the Florentines?
2. As mentioned in Chapter 5, who humbled Emperor Henry IV?
3. Who painted "Stories of Saint Peter and Original Sin"?
4. According to Chapter 6, what color is prominent in the paintings of the "springtime painters"?
5. What Florentine church housed a respected music school in the fourteenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paolo di Dono earn his nickname?
2. Name some of the ways in which Florence unleashed original ideas on the world.
3. Describe the appearance of Donna Maria Ciliego.
4. Describe the origin of the phrase "as round as Giotto's O."
5. How did Donatello influence Padua?
6. Explain the author's meaning in her assertion that Florentine painting "had a sweet tooth."
7. What were the ramifications for an artist who became a Piagnone?
8. Briefly describe the modern Tuscan countryside, as discussed in Chapter 6.
9. Explain what the hymn "Crazy for Jesus" says about Florentine culture.
10. Describe Uccello's greatest fresco.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)