|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted "Stories of Saint Peter and Original Sin"?
(a) Andrea del Castagno.
2. According to the author, Florence shares "simplicity of life" with which city?
3. What word did Brunelleschi use to describe the figure of Christ on Donatello's crucifix for Santa Croce?
4. What church replaced the Santa Reparata?
(a) Santissima Annunziata.
(b) Santa Trinita.
(c) The Duomo.
(d) Santa Croce.
5. In the author's opinion, the work of which artist achieves Plato's ideal forms?
6. What famous explorer consulted with Toscanelli?
(b) Ponce de Leon.
(d) Admiral Drake.
7. What Florentine church housed a respected music school in the fourteenth century?
(a) Santa Trinita.
(b) Santa Croce.
(c) Santa Biblia.
(d) Santa Maria Novella.
8. As mentioned in Chapter 5, who humbled Emperor Henry IV?
(a) Countess Matilda of Tuscany.
(b) Catherine of Siena.
(c) Julian of Norwich.
(d) Hildegard of Bingen.
9. According to Chapter 4, what object is frequently found in the center of Florentine paintings of the Annunciation?
(a) A pillar.
(b) A dove.
(c) A Bible.
(d) An Easter lily.
10. What was the nickname for people who followed Savonarola?
11. According to the author, what building exceeds the Duomo in size and beauty?
(a) The library of Alexandria.
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) Saint Peter's Cathedral.
(d) The Parthenon.
12. What color is Saint John's robe in the fresco in Santa Maria Novella?
13. According to information provided in Chapter 4, which artist was posthumously considered to be "a devil"?
(d) Andrea del Castagno.
14. What museum in Florence does the author call "a picture gallery" in Chapter 4?
(a) The Uffizi.
(b) The Boboli Garden.
(c) The Bargello.
(d) The Museum of the Works of the Duomo.
15. What was Paolo Uccello's birth name?
(a) Paolo di Dono.
(b) Paolo di Medici.
(c) Paolo di Coppola.
(d) Paolo Fernandi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the instructional booklet Della Pittura?
2. According to Chapter 6, what color is prominent in the paintings of the "springtime painters"?
3. According to Chapter 4, what novel contains a painting as the antagonist?
4. Which artist had originally attempted a sculpture with the piece of marble that Michelangelo used for the "David"?
5. Whose favorite artistic medium was terra verde?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)