|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous explorer consulted with Toscanelli?
(b) Admiral Drake.
(d) Ponce de Leon.
2. Who painted the Virgin Mary's head in the fresco of the Annunciation at the church Santissima Annunziata?
(a) A monk.
(b) An angel.
(c) Fra Fillipo Lippi.
(d) Piero della Francesca.
3. What color is Saint John's robe in the fresco in Santa Maria Novella?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 5, which artists did the Romans think were searching for treasure around the ruins of ancient structures?
(a) Uccello and Andrea del Castagno.
(b) Fra Fillipo Lippi and Uccello.
(c) Leonardo and Donatello.
(d) Brunelleschi and Donatello.
5. Which fresco, created by Uccello, does the author consider to be "an example of Florentine avarice"?
(a) Historie Fiorentine.
(b) The monument of Sir John Hawkwood.
(c) "The Creation of Eve and the Fall."
(d) "The Battle of San Romano."
6. With whom did Donatello live?
(b) The Medici family.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
7. Which novel does the author compare to Dante's Divine Comedy in Chapter 6?
(a) The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Silas Marner.
(c) The Sound and the Fury.
(d) War and Peace.
8. According to the author in Chapter 4, what artistic idea did the Venetians learn from the Florentines?
(d) Trompe l'oeil.
9. To whom did Petrarch write his love sonnets?
10. Which artist had originally attempted a sculpture with the piece of marble that Michelangelo used for the "David"?
(c) Agostino di Duccio.
11. What was Paolo Uccello's birth name?
(a) Paolo di Dono.
(b) Paolo Fernandi.
(c) Paolo di Coppola.
(d) Paolo di Medici.
12. What was the nickname for people who followed Savonarola?
13. According to Chapter 6, what are the two extreme images in Florentine painting?
(a) The Fall and the Nativity.
(b) The Flood and the Resurrection.
(c) The Crucifixion and the Resurrection.
(d) The Crucifixion and the Annunciation.
14. Who created the Duomo?
(b) Andrea del Castagno.
15. What is the title of the hymn that Chapter 6 mentions as having been composed by one of Savonarola's adherents?
(a) "O Sacred Head."
(b) "Beneath the Cross of Jesus."
(c) "Crazy for Jesus."
(d) "Fairest Lord Jesus."
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject of Savonarola's preaching does the author mention in Chapter 4?
2. According to Chapter 4, what was the first major literary work written in Italian?
3. Which Florentine does the author describe as a "zoophile"?
4. As mentioned in Chapter 5, who was born the year Michelangelo died?
5. According to Chapter 5, what is the main characteristic of Florentine art?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)