|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose favorite artistic medium was terra verde?
(b) Paolo Uccello.
2. In what work does Milton mention Florence three times?
(a) Samson Agonistes.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(d) Paradise Regained.
3. Which artist does the author NOT mention as depicting objects from ordinary life, such as household utensils?
(c) Fra Fillipo.
4. As mentioned in Chapter 5, what did Donatello and Brunelleschi plan to have for lunch one day?
(a) Vegetable soup.
(b) Wine and cheese.
(d) Coarse bread.
5. Who created the fresco "Universal Deluge"?
(b) Andrea del Castagno.
6. According to Chapter 6, which month is the "classic Florentine 'month'"?
7. How old was Dante when he fought in the battle of Campaldino?
8. Who painted the Virgin Mary's head in the fresco of the Annunciation at the church Santissima Annunziata?
(a) Piero della Francesca.
(b) An angel.
(c) Fra Fillipo Lippi.
(d) A monk.
9. What was Paolo Uccello's birth name?
(a) Paolo di Coppola.
(b) Paolo Fernandi.
(c) Paolo di Dono.
(d) Paolo di Medici.
10. What famous explorer consulted with Toscanelli?
(b) Ponce de Leon.
(c) Admiral Drake.
11. According to the author, what building exceeds the Duomo in size and beauty?
(a) The library of Alexandria.
(b) Saint Peter's Cathedral.
(c) The Parthenon.
(d) Westminster Abbey.
12. With whom did Donatello live?
(a) His sister.
(b) The Medici family.
(d) His mother.
13. Which artist, mentioned in Chapter 4, was famous for painting dragons?
(c) Piero di Cosimo.
(d) Andrea del Castagno.
14. According to Chapter 6, what color is prominent in the paintings of the "springtime painters"?
15. Whom does the author describe in Chapter 6 as a "tame, cruel housemouser"?
(a) Lorenzo de' Medici.
(c) Cosimo I.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artist is mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 4?
2. Who wrote the poem "Ode to the West Wind"?
3. The artist mentioned in the first paragraph of Chapter 4 is puzzling over what subject?
4. According to the author, Florence shares "simplicity of life" with which city?
5. What color is Saint John's robe in the fresco in Santa Maria Novella?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)