|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, who is the only person who can observe Florence well?
(a) The toddlers in strollers.
(b) The streetsweepers.
(c) The night watchman.
(d) The gatekeeper at the Boboli.
2. Which of George Eliot's novels is, according to McCarthy, a "sentimental pastiche of Florentine history"?
(a) The Mill on the Floss.
(b) Daniel Deronda.
(d) Silas Marner.
3. What does the author call "an incubus on its present population"?
(a) The Pieta.
(b) The David.
(c) Historic Florence.
(d) The Ponte Vecchio.
4. Which poets touted a "tooled-leather idea of Florence as a dear bit of the old world"?
(a) Keats and Wordsworth.
(b) The Shelleys.
(c) Robert Frost and William Carlos Williams.
(d) The Brownings.
5. According to Chapter 1, who normally sells the postcards in a Florentine church?
(a) The sacristan.
(b) A nun.
(c) The priest.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mentioned at the end of Chapter 1, who hid in the German Institute during World War II?
2. Which group of people does the author mention in Chapter 1 as willing to show their city to anyone?
3. As mentioned in the end of Chapter 3, how long was medieval Florence at peace from political unrest?
4. According to the author's opinion as stated in Chapter 1, Italians are not what?
5. What is the name of the river that runs through Florence?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)